Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 129

kas1e, trixie, TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Great games porting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hello OS4 gamers,

Huno did a wonderful job porting many games for OS4. Here is a list: here and there.

I don't think it is a known fact that he has a Paypal button on his website, so I wanted to give you the link to this donation page.

You know what I mean?

Edited by Elwood on 2010/10/18 11:43:23
Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Re: Great games porting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

With respect I don't see any 'great' games on there nor do I see 'many'. It also would help as a non-Amigan to actually have some screenshots to look at!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood
Your list if FAR from complete. HunoPPC was also responsible for many of the games listed here

And there ARE some great games there! For example PrBoomGL (aka Doom), OpenBOR, Reminiscence (aka Flashback), ...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki

Ok so "great games compared to tuxkartracer as an example"...

@ChrisH

Thanks, I fixed my post.

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki :
With respect, who really develop/adapt/port games to Amiga OS 4 ?
So, what can be a "great" game ? Something we'll never see because no company will spend money to develop products on our Amiga ?
So, I really think we must consider "serious" port/development/adaptation as "great" game even if graphics/sounds are not 100% quality ones ... because we will probably never see back professional games developers on Amiga ..

Huno is one of the few peoples doing this ... and he do this with the objective to "optimise" as possible as he can ... because "ports" are ofter "badly" coded ... and on our configurations that are ( we must admit it to be honest ) less powerful than the PC where they were developed ... we often get games with low frame rate ...

I had few occasions to see Huno and see it porting app and he is a really serious guy ... and really productive too ...

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@freddix

Yeah I wasn't intending to belittle Huno's efforts in porting games to AmigaOS.

ChrisH's list in fact shows a much better selection of games, Hexen and Zumo as two prime examples.

I am sure Huno is doing the best he can at the moment and of course I praise anyone continuing to support the platform.

Being an outsider atm (until the X1000) Elwood's list looked a little disappointing, but I can see he is doing some good work.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@freddix
Quote:

So, I really think we must consider "serious" port/development/adaptation as "great" game even if graphics/sounds are not 100% quality ones ...

If game have bad gfx/sound it can't be "great" :) And does not matter on which platform. If game suck, then it suck, and does not matter on which platform too.

But Huno's ports in most cases quality ones (with good gfx, sound and alt). Of course not every one, but i think 80% of his releases are good and quality.

Quote:

because we will probably never see back professional games developers on Amiga ..

Imho, that only matter of powerfull HW, new-normal OpenGL, and a bit bigger user base. Of course nothing very modern and uber-cool from monsters who want millions, but indy companies, some not so big ones, and alt - pretty possible to see on aos4, when it will mature a bit more. Also open source of any cool game make sense too (all those Cube, Warzone, Heroes3, DCC Nightmare). Today its not so necessary to make "aos4" only games, because OpenGL everythere (by all of this, i trying to say that great and modern games pretty possible). But for first we need new drivers and full mesa port.

ps. will donate to Huno soon
ps2. just remember for now when see AfxGroup logged in : He also do some quality and modern ports. Battle for Wesnoth and Aquaria. Are they not modern/great ?

Edited by kas1e on 2010/10/18 13:10:15
Edited by kas1e on 2010/10/18 13:10:46
Edited by kas1e on 2010/10/18 13:17:53
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
If game suck, then it suck, and does not matter on which platform too.

If it sucks do not waste your time to port it.

And I agree with you, Acquaria is great!

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kas1e :
Quote:
If game have bad gfx/sound it can't be "great" :) And does not matter on which platform. If game suck, then it suck, and does not matter on which platform too.

You have a "bad" way of thinking ... in your case approximatively 99.999999% of everything we can see as "non professional" ( I mean not from UBI SOFT, EA, Square, etc .... professional corps ) ... is BAD game.
We must sometimes congrat the "effort" ... the "try" ... the "want" to fnish a project ... because we are not all "pure 100% artist" and "pure 100% developer" ... There are games that don't have great graphics nor great sounds ... but where I have "more fun" than some games with better graphics, better sounds ... but no "life" in the creation itself ... it's not up to the "elite" to be alone to create games ... otherwise none of us ... may exist in these forums ...

Quote:
But Huno's ports in most cases quality ones (with good gfx, sound and alt). Of course not every one, but i think 80% of his releases are good and quality.

I agree.

Quote:
Imho, that only matter of powerfull HW, new-normal OpenGL, and a bit bigger user base. Of course nothing very modern and uber-cool from monsters who want millions, but indy companies, some not so big ones, and alt - pretty possible to see on aos4, when it will mature a bit more. Also open source of any cool game make sense too (all those Cube, Warzone, Heroes3, DCC Nightmare). Today its not so necessary to make "aos4" only games, because OpenGL everythere (by all of this, i trying to say that great and modern games pretty possible). But for first we need new drivers and full mesa port.

You are right on some points ... but how can you attract new users if you promise them games that already exist on PC ? with more powerful computer, lower price, and easier access to these games ( shops ) ??? More to this, these "indy" companies will develop multi-platform products ... so ... why buy an Amiga when PC / Mac do it better (for the same product) ?

Quote:
ps. will donate to Huno soon
ps2. just remember for now when see AfxGroup logged in : He also do some quality and modern ports. Battle for Wesnoth and Aquaria. Are they not modern/great ?

Yes, games like "Aquaria" are nice ... but ... they are "smoother" on other computers ... it's always the same results for the same efforts ... and it will be the same, even if we get better OpenGL/Mesa hardware support

Ports are good because they show that the computer function ok but, in opposite to you, I think we really need to create Amiga OS 4 ONLY product !!! Why ? Simply because our computers are "maybe" less powerful ... but WE have MORE "creative intelligencia" :p
Create something "New" ... Be sure if it's only on Amiga OS4, we will have "more" impact on the world ...
And, I think that the Amiga X1000 is our only "safe way" to achieve this ...

Sorry if I was a bit "outside" of the original subject .. but I think that some answer forces me to be more "clear" about all these ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@freddix

Today all computers its only computers with just a different OS with some bases which give some API/layers/memory-layouts. If someone in interest in something new - they try different stuff (macos/unixes/tons of small oses/aos4/morphos/aros). How to attract new blood to platform, its the problems of Hyperion , just because its all commercical. But the steps can be the same as do apple for macos when it was on ppc.

About ports - while we not have too many native programs and games, ports are better than nothing. Ports its not only about games, but about apps, libs and such.

Some games/programms are already good enough on all computer/OS , so have them ported solved tons of problems (like recrating a wheel). Of course, more native programm are better , as well as more good ports are good too.

But because you have your opinion, we have AmiDark :) I only glad that you think like this :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
I agree that ports as good to bring softwares in a computer .... but only to show the computer work ... because ports are NOT optimised on PC world ...
and HUNO do great job making these games working good on our amiga(s) computers.

I don't agree with your statement on computer ... It's like if you said a Porsche car = a mercedes car ... You're right on the fact they're both cars but, You're totally wrong on the cars specificity.. if some people buy porsche it's because they like/love porsche ... it other but mercedes it's because they prefer mercedes ... it's the same for computers ...
same if you mix ... orange is a fruit, tomato is a fruit too ... however ... tomato and orange and not eaten in the same purposes ( generaly dessert for orange, and salad for tomatoes ) ... replace a tomato with an orange in a tomato/mustard tart ... you'll see ALL the difference !!!

if people buy Mac/Apple it's because Infography/video softs are better/more powerful/smoother on Mac ... if people buy PC computers it's because 3D games are better ....
Now, we must find in what we can make our Amiga(s) better & Different from others ...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

Yes, HunoPPC currently is one Amiga fan very worker.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@freddix
Ports (whether of games or serious apps) are a good "stop gap" measure, until we have enough time, developers & users to have good "native" games & programs written. And sometimes ports give results as good as any "native" program, especially if more effort is spent on improving a basic port.

Even basic ports run on OS4, and so we still get at least some benefits of OS4 itself.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

And of course basic ports usually equals open-source.

Where would AmigaOS be without Gimp under Cyngix? Best to have something than not at all.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki

Huno is a great coder, he ports lots of games, they are optimized for amiga os and run smooth, it ported differents emulator and they run smooth too. The point is that when Huno makes a port he do all the best to optimize the code and make it run as fast as possible on our beloved amiga :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

Agree, Huno is one of the best developer, we need to support him

Go to top

Register To Post