Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
OWB 3.15
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
New update, here the changelog

Quote:
3.15 (17.6.2009)

* Fixed a rendering bug (bugs.os4depot.net issues #198 and #200).
* Fixed bugs.os4depot.net issues #202, #203, #210 and #212.
* Updated to SVN revision 1006.
* Added some workarounds to prevent wrong redirection to WAP versions on broken sites like like http://www.microsoft.com/ and http://www.kauppalehti.fi/ (bugs.os4depot.net issue #213).
* No longer uncompresses when downloading, for example gzipped tar archives.

http://strohmayer.org/owb/

Go to top
Re: OWB 3.15
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

Are the makers of OWB (not the porters) working on optimising the base code as they go along? It's interesting, as Joerg is updating to the latest svn on a regular basis, and it seems to be getting faster and faster.. maybe both Joerg AND the core OWB developers are doing a little optimising? I'm hoping its the core guys though, because that would bode very well for the future. I would think theres only so much optimising you can do for a port you see.

That post didnt mean to come out as a complaint.. I'm very happy with OS4 OWB. It's just getting better and better, and then a tiny bit worse, and then better again, as we go along. :)

Rendering is very impressive, youtube plugin will be here soon, but I reckon there's a lot room for improvement speedwise, considering its based on Webkit. Webkit == zoom! On my Sam, the speed is usable though, and for now thats good. :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
btw, just in interest: have core developers in plans add download manager ? Or they only works on core, and everythink over the it must be done by other ppls ? Just mean maybe Joerg that wait when it will be done, and becouse of it not want spend time for so necessary fucntions like download manager ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

OWB is just a html rendering engine, it's not a web browser itself, so things like download manager is outside the scope of the core part of OWB. The OS4 OWB "port" is not actually just a port, it is actually a web browser built from scratch, which uses OWB for the html rendering. A download manager already exists in the MorphOS port, but that doesn't automatically give a download manager to the OS4 port.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Another Timely release!

Excellent and Appreciated Work!!!!

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cobra
I think it's good that developers works only on "core" (no need think about other problems and loose time on it). In end, it generally show as that this rendering engine, the most powerfull and standarts following for today (i remember these acid tests 100/100).

Personally can't said that i am feel myself so bad becouse no download manager for os4 version of owb, but little progress bar, with count of procents will be very good. Becouse you just start to download and do not know how long it will be , when it stops, etc.

Btw, OWB on aros also have download manager. I just think Joerg have many other thinks in "todo" list to implement and becouse of it still nothink about, but download manager (even easy one) are must :) From version to version i wait it, and this is only one think which save ibrowse on my hdd (i just copy download link in owb, run ibrowse, and just use his download manager. Which is good: you can download tons of files at time, you can close ibrowse itself, but download will be still happenes even you close main IB window).

Will be cool if authors of ibrowse (for example) will be just use OWB rendering engine with all these other good thinks like download manager, https, cookies, bookmarks, font selections, etc ,etc.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@J?rg

Big thanks !

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
btw, just in interest: have core developers in plans add download manager ?
How should a download manager be possible without a GUI? OWB has no GUI at all.

Even if they would implement a download manager for example for the Qt version of OWB it would be completely useless for all other versions of OWB (SDL, Gtk, AmigaOS 4.x, ...), just like adding the AROS Zune download manager, which isn't in the OWB SVN (yet?), would be useless for the SDL, Gtk, Qt and AmigaOS 4.x versions of OWB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc

Quote:
Are the makers of OWB (not the porters) working on optimising the base code as they go along?
Sometimes there are optimizions in OWB parts as well, and some of them were taken from my AmigaOS 4.x port, but most of the improvements are from WebKit and not in OWB parts.

Quote:
It's interesting, as Joerg is updating to the latest svn on a regular basis, and it seems to be getting faster and faster.. maybe both Joerg AND the core OWB developers are doing a little optimising?
AmigaOS 4.x specific optimisations are mentioned in my release notes, for example in version 3.11 ("Changed rendering method ...").

Quote:
It's just getting better and better, and then a tiny bit worse, and then better again, as we go along. :)
Always using the current OWB SVN sources, and therefore current WebKit as well, adds all improvements from OWB and WebKit, but sometimes it adds new bugs as well ...
Even if that sometimes results in AmigaOS 4.x versions of OWB with a lot of new problems I don't notice myself before releasing a new AmigaOS 4.x version it's IMHO better than not updating the OWB sources, although that would make it much easier to add new AmigaOS 4.x features.

Quote:
Rendering is very impressive, youtube plugin will be here soon, but I reckon there's a lot room for improvement speedwise, considering its based on Webkit.
There was a lot I did optimise in the AmigaOS 4.x port of OWB, but I very much doubt there are any more major speed improvements possible.
Except for adding PPC support to the JavaScript JIT, currently it only supports x86 and ARM, but I wont do that. It's not only way too much work for me, someone who knows PPC assembler would have to do it.

Quote:
Webkit == zoom! On my Sam, the speed is usable though, and for now thats good. :)
It's "zoom" on the SAM as well, at least the AmigaOS 4.x version of OWB, if you compare it with slower browsers like IceWeasel (FireFox) running on Linux on the same hardware
The AmigaOS 4.x version is much faster than the SDL, Gtk and Qt versions of OWB, and IMHO it's faster than all other WebKit based browsers I tested on Linux (Epiphany-webkit, Arora, ...) on my A1 as well.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Posting from owb3.15 All websites, working (facebook,gmail.etc) Just need to improve on performance ie speed:) Starting to like this browser.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Posting reply using OWB 3.15 ...

---
redfox

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Joerg

Thanks. Submit is working fine now on amigans.net ...

Off to visit some other websites.

---
redfox

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Joerg

It is great more and more better

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
OWB 3.15 is working great here. No problems at all on any of my travels so far. Posted fine on all three amiga forum sites I normally visit. Also downloaded an mp3 file just fine.

Thanks again.
---
redfox

( Listening to music streaming down from skyfm while I surf with OWB 3.15 )

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Everything working well with .15 here. Even motors.ebay.com is working nicely.

Paul

edit: redirect back to forum page after hitting "Submit" is working again here, too.

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting information. :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
I am not so in business, but maybe porting of morphos download manager will be more or less easy ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
the last updates of OWB have been mainly bug fixing, nothing much in user experience, a download manager is really needed !!!

Sam440EP - AmigaOS 4.1 up6
Powerbook G4 - MorphOS 3.2
Macmini G4 - MorphOS 3.2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

Works fine here on my SAM. No problems with scrolling down a page anymore. The submit button works fine again. Surfing seems a little bit faster.

I got some crashes (OWB hangs up) when I surfing many pages. But I can't reproduce the crashes, so I don't know the reason. Maybe memory problems!?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Working great here on my A1-XE! Bloody fast, too. Don't understand all the people moaning about the speed. Its as fast as Firefox is on the XP PC sat next to the A1, and the PC is bucketloads faster than an A1.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »