Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
Re: OWB 3.1
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Thanks for all the great work on OWB in 2008. I've sent a little encouragement for next year!

Seasons greetings and a happy new year.
Cheers,
Rudi.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

After uniconifying OWB doesn't set the window title correctly.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jorg

You've often stated it's too much work to make OWB into a proper browser, but you've done some amazing things since then.. So I'm wondering, do you think it'll be possible to add a disk cache in future? so that images don't have to be re-downloaded in full every time you hit back on your browser for instance? it seems like an awful waste of bandwidth and traffic.

Secondly.. any chance of "built in" bookmarking? :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

You kick ass! Thanks for all your hard work. OWB on OS4 has gone from unusable slow proof of concept to a fast, pleasant to use, kick ass browser!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jahc

still doesnt do binary downloads though !

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc

Quote:
You've often stated it's too much work to make OWB into a proper browser, but you've done some amazing things since then..
Only because most of the AmigaOS 4.x parts I've implemented so far only required porting already existing parts of OWB to AmigaOS 4.x. Implementing new features which don't exist in OWB yet is much more work and will take much longer.
It will take me at least 5 years to implement an usable browser around the OWB WebKit engine.

Quote:
So I'm wondering, do you think it'll be possible to add a disk cache in future?
Maybe in 2-3 years when all more important features are implemented.

Quote:
so that images don't have to be re-downloaded in full every time you hit back on your browser for instance? it seems like an awful waste of bandwidth and traffic.
OWB doesn't have a disk cache, but it has a memory cache and doesn't reload the images. Unless the images have headers wich require reloading them, but for such images it's of course the same with a disk cache.
If you want to have a disk cache you can use a caching proxy, for example Apache (the AmigaOS 3.x port included the proxy support, I didn't check if the AmigaOS 4.x port does as well, if not there should be some other caching proxies on Aminet).

Quote:
Secondly.. any chance of "built in" bookmarking? :)
Porting George Sokianos' bookmark which was used in OWB Blastoise (libowbbookmark.so) to OWB Galekid would be no big problem, but a lot of people didn't like it ...
Before implementing a new one from scratch I'll try implementing support for up- and downloads, tabs and better cookie handling, which may take some months.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

I wasnt aware there was a memory cache. That's adequate for me. :)

Quote:
Porting George Sokianos' bookmark which was used in OWB Blastoise (libowbbookmark.so) to OWB Galekid would be no big problem, but a lot of people didn't like it ...
Before implementing a new one from scratch I'll try implementing support for up- and downloads, tabs and better cookie handling, which may take some months.

Cool. :) how are these features coming along anyway?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@jahc

Quote:
You've often stated it's too much work to make OWB into a proper browser, but you've done some amazing things since then..
Only because most of the AmigaOS 4.x parts I've implemented so far only required porting already existing parts of OWB to AmigaOS 4.x. Implementing new features which don't exist in OWB yet is much more work and will take much longer.
It will take me at least 5 years to implement an usable browser around the OWB WebKit engine.

Quote:
So I'm wondering, do you think it'll be possible to add a disk cache in future?
Maybe in 2-3 years when all more important features are implemented.

IIRC you are still working on that port on your own?
Not that i want to force you to rush things (how could i?), but as you state OWB being such a big task, why not look for someone to help you?
Even if the person in question will only be assigned to certain tasks whereas you keep the overall power over OWB development?

You could for example open a task list on OpenAmiga.org and assign certain things to people interested? (Or join forces with another devs?)

Just an idea (copy&pasting this from YAM, where it seems to work pretty well)

Thanks for all the work on OWB

Edited by Raziel on 2008/12/29 22:51:40
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

This bookmark was perfect for me, why reinventing the wheel?

@Raziel

There is something wrong wih your quote nesting...

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:
@joerg

Quote:

This bookmark was perfect for me, why reinventing the wheel?

I agree. I found it fine. It could always be disabled with a tooltype in which case one of the external options could still be used. Anyway I would have thought that the general consensus of opinion is that up/downloads is the most needed feature. External bookmarks are fine for now internal ones can wait till later.

Cheers,
Rudi.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc

Quote:
Quote:

Cool. :) how are these features coming along anyway?
Next to nothing at all yet (except for beeing able to crash OWB even in unrelated parts if enable some small download parts I have just for checking what else it would need ).
I'll probably add support for tabs first since that doesn't need changes and/or new features in OWB/WebKit parts, only in the AmigaOS 4.x GUI parts.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
IIRC you are still working on that port on your own?
Yes.

Quote:
Not that i want to force you to rush things (how could i?), but as you state OWB being such a big task, why not look for someone to help you?
Even if the person in question will only be assigned to certain tasks whereas you keep the overall power over OWB development?

You could for example open a task list on OpenAmiga.org and assign certain things to people interested? (Or join forces with another devs?)
The first task would be to add support for the AmigaOS 4.x parts in the CMake files to be able to build the AmigaOS 4.x OWB at least with a cross-compiler on an Unix system (building it on AmigaOS itself is impossible: No CMake port, missing features in perl, etc.), as long as nobody else can build the AmigaOS 4.x OWB for testing changes there isn't much others could do ...

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@joerg

Very nice, very nice!

Pease let me know if you need any support!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Does anyone tried OWB 3.1 with the Acid 3 Test?
It got an nice score: 95/100

I will upload an screenshot.

@joerg: Keep up the great work!

Ei gude wie?

1x ?AOne-C (FX), 512MB RAM, OS4 Final July
1x A4000D EC030, 16MB Fast, OS3.1
1xA1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x CD??
1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joystick port)
2x A500 (1x 1MB) OS1.3
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cHaOs667

For 100% on Acid3 you need SVG support enabled, on latest 3.1 is disabled by default

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Have now just had an instance just like yours were the address book crashes the OS.

I have also had instances of no DSI at all when first opening up the book.

Don't know "yet" what the difference in circumstances are.

Will investigate further.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'm a ?A1 OS 4.1 user and have just tried OWB for the first time. Many thanks to Joerg for this browser. Despite it's OWB's current limitations, I am able to acccess sites that are impossible to use with IBrowse or AWeb. The only problem I have noticed so far is that the URL at the top is usually not updated to match the displayed page when I use the forward and back tools at the top of the browser. Maybe this is a feature, I don't know.

Since people have been commenting on the bookmarks, I'll add my 2 cents on the subject. Since I still need IBrowse or AWeb for some functions, I run all three browsers on one screen. I have set the OWB home directory to my ibrowse-hotlist.html file and am using a shared hotlist. OWB doesn't seem to recognize Amiga style paths ( with a colon ":" ) so my home URL looks like this:
HOME=file:///Work/IBrowse/ibrowse-hotlist.html
Work is the volume and the rest of the path is standard. I have to manage my hotlist from IBrowse, but that's not a problem for me. I just need to figure out a way to add links from OWB. I think it's convenient not to have to maintain 2 seperate sets of bookmarks.

I was going to try the OWBBook system but the Book2OWB utility chops my IBrowse hotlist in half when I try to convert it. It stops when it encounters a group that has no URLs in the IBrowse bookmark menu. The entry looks like this: <LI IBHLFLAGS="NOMENU"><B>Services</B><UL>. If the author is monitoring this forum, he might want to take a look at this.

The readme states that OWB has an ARexx port and I would like to use it with openurl.library but I can't find a list of ARexx commands that it recognizes. Does anyone else have OWB set up in OpenURL prefs and how did you get it to work? I need the ARexx commands to use if OWB is already open.

As far as downloading goes, I would like to suggest something like popupmenu.library with a menu that has items for D/L files, images and copying URLs like IBrowse. If you use MIME to determine when to D/L files instead of displaying them, you will need a complicated MIME prefs program (window) because some sites always use incorrect MIME types. That might be fine as a long term improvement but I think a popup menu that lets the user decide to D/L a file or image would be easier to implement as an imterim solution.

Once again, thanks for the great program!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

The readme states that OWB has an ARexx port and I would like to use it with openurl.library but I can't find a list of ARexx commands that it recognizes. Does anyone else have OWB set up in OpenURL prefs and how did you get it to work? I need the ARexx commands to use if OWB is already open.

the readme has the arexx command spread over it.
these two commands i use in openurl:

SCREENTOFRONT (for "Show" and "To Front")
OPENURL %u (for "Open URL" and "New Window")

and well, it sometimes works

byebye...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic Quote:
If the author is monitoring this forum, he might want to take a look at this.

*Sigh*. Is a little email too much to ask? I bet he could fix this bug in a few minutes, if he knew about it.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@xenic

Quote:

the readme has the arexx command spread over it.
these two commands i use in openurl:

SCREENTOFRONT (for "Show" and "To Front")
OPENURL (for "Open URL" and "New Window")

and well, it sometimes works

The readme that came with the OS4Depot OWB 3.1 archive does not contain the words "SCREENTOFRONT" or "OPENURL". It lists TOOLTYPES but not ARexx commands. There appears to be more than one version of OWB. What is the difference? Should I be using the "Blastoise" version instead of the "GaleKid" version I downloaded?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »