Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 122

flash, skynet, trixie, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4.1 filesystems?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What is the JXFS filesystem about?

What's the difference between SFS/00 and SFS/02?

All I want is a fast and safe filesystem

Go to top
Re: OS4.1 filesystems?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmiKit

SFS/02 and JXFS are 64-bit capable filesystems
SFS/00 is 32-bit (and incompatible with SFS/02) You can boot from SFS/00 but not from the others.

I don't know the differences between SFS/02 and JXFS or if one has any particular advantages.

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

What is the benefit of 64bit filesystem for common user?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmiKit

if you really need big files over 4gb you need a 64bit filesystem.

and secound jxfs is really fast. :)

RWO

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmiKit
JXFS is by far the fastest file system ever made for AmigaOS. It fully supports all the new DOS packets and the new DOS API while all other file systems emulate the new and faster DOS API.

You need to use SFS for your boot partition (or FFS2 if you insist on being a luddite) because JXFS is not supported by the SLB yet.

As far as safety goes, I consider none of them as safe by any stretch and that includes FFS2. Hard drives are cheap so why not just clone all your files to another hard drive and forget about salvage tools completely. Boot from the CD-ROM if things go wrong, reformat and restore your files. I haven't relied on salvage tools since the QuarterBack days which is something like 10 years ago now.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie

[BIG FAT NOTE]
I don't want to rain of anybody's parade.
[/BIG FAT NOTE]

Quote:
JXFS is by far the fastest file system ever made for AmigaOS.

Actually shortly after I installed AOS 4.1 I made a few tests (for example, have a look here) and it turned out that JXFS on my machine was slower than SFS (not speaking of SFS2 here) in (IIRC) every operation.
That's not to say JXFS is a bad FS: it is fully 64-bit, it is probably richer in features and maybe is even more robust (although, in years, SFS never failed on me). For sure I would recommend it to anyone who works with 4+ Gb files on AOS. I don't, so for now I'm sticking to SFS because... it's faster

saimo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is PartitionWizard able to repair JXFS partitions?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmiKit

No.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

Are there any docs somewhere? The OS4.1 manual and the CD 'documentation' drawer is vacant.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

No docs for the jxfs filesystem, but the important things are, you can't boot from it until we get a new slb & it only works with a blocksize of 512. Set to anything else & the partition won't show on the WB for formatting.

My work partition is jxfs & no problems so far. Picked up an sii0680ide card at Amiwest, so transfer speed is faster.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit
If you want a "fast and safe" filingsystem, then I would recommend SFS/02 (or SFS/00 if you are really paranoid), since it has a long development history & is therefore well proven. JXFS is an unknown quantity, by comparison.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ssolie

I find that JXFS has a nasty pause on the first write per session. I write a 1k text file and it takes several seconds. If I save it again it's instant. Reboot and the pause returns.

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Thanks!
I think I'll go for SFS as the JXFS is a big unknown for me (due to lack of documentation) and FFS, on the other hand, is too known for me (many bad experience from OS3.x times).

One more question, though. Does PFS3 work on OS4? How does it perform compared to SFS?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'm using JXFS and haven't had any problems with it so far. *knock knock*

Quote:
I find that JXFS has a nasty pause on the first write per session.

Yes. The first save is a little bit slower but the second one is fast (of the same file, of course). We don't know what features JXFS has and what it's doing. But doing file searches it feels really fast. On major platforms they're using file indexing to speed up file searches because they've deep and complicated directory structures, I guess. But we don't need anything similar on our platform really IMHO because traditional method is very fast in itself. (Well might depend on how well you have structured your hard drive, partitions and directories.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

It seems all the ide drivers in os4.1 have a problem with speed. They're on the slow side compared to the os4.0 drivers. The os4.0 drivers are not compatible with os4.1, so there is a danger of corupting your data if you do. The problem has been reported & verified, so we just have to wait for an update.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @sundown

Picked up an sii0680ide card at Amiwest

Nice! That fills your only PCI slot huh? Anyone going to come up with PCI extention adpter for you ?

Go to top

Register To Post