Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

mufa, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Any news on Cygnix?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Any news on Cygnix or any new apps ported to it?
It was a long time since we heard anything on this.
Edgar? Afx?

Go to top
Re: Any news on Cygnix?
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@spotUP

I believe that they are working something BIG. I don't have a clue what that is, but something inside me tells me so. Also, at the latest Amiga Future there is a review of the version #4, if I'm right, which I haven't seen it anywhere.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero

I have a feeling something yummy is coming our way!

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP

Sorry for the long silence. I think you're right, it's time for some news

The reason for the silence is, that I have recompiled the Cygnix package completely. Cygnix will be renamed to "AmiCygnix", because on Windows exists a similar system with the same name.

This is new:

* Compiled with newlib instead of clib2. The performance is better and the binaries are smaller now.
*The Unix paths are removed now. No USR:, ETC: ... is needed anymore. This will avoid collisions with
other Unix ports and with the SDK.
* Environment variables must be located in "ENVARC:Cygnix" now. This is also done to remove collisions.

This also means, that old software will not run on the new Cygnix anymore. Maybe I include a "compatibility
mode".

Here are some new programs, which are nearly finished:

To make the Gnome-Office package more complete, I've compiled the spreadsheet Gnumeric 1.63. Here is
a screenshot:

Resized Image

I don't know, if this is interresting for someone, but these programs are also compiled. Would be nice, if you can
give me some feedback:

* Bluefish. A nice editor with syntax highlighting and online help for programmers. Easier to understand than VIM:

Resized Image

* Pidgin 2.2.0. The latest version of the chat software.

* Pioneers 0.11.3. A "sedlers of catan" clone with internet support:

Resized Image

* gmysqlcc 0.2.6. A mysql admin tool with MySQL 5.0.58 support. Also the commandline client are available.

* xpdf 3.02 - the original PDF viewer.

* Xaos 3.1.2 - a fractal renderer.

* and some more...

I'm think it will need some more months for a new release of Cygnix. A report in the Amiga-Future magazine said,
that there will be a Update 4 available soon, but this is not true.
As said above, the next version will be a release called "AmiCygnix" and will (hopefully) contain
an enhanced X server (If I can make it, it will be version X11R7.3, but I'm not sure,
if I can make it).

Greetings
CygnusEd

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

What can I say. Brilliant work. All of a sudden we get an XCel capable spreadsheet to match the already available (and I have used it many, many times) Abiword. Don't forget we have the very capable PowerPoint viewr PointRider as well (native).

I started playing with Cygnix tonight just to see how fast or slow it is under the latest update, believe me it is no slouch as it stands so any improvement will be great.

Thanks go to you and your team for the great work.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

AmiCygnix - maybe with standard AmigaOS 4 theme?

http://os4depot.net/share/graphics/theme/aosx11-theme.lha

Aqua is fine, but this is Mac theme. ;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SZAMAN

There is already an AOS4 theme and 2 others. Surely the substance is more important and by that I mean the programs that run on it. The authors have already done a fantastic job in the theming area.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

Any news on rootless feature? :) Would be nice to have hw accelerated window moving.

A1-XE/G4@933+Radeon7500/64MB, A1200BPPC+BVision
AmigaOS4 on both of course.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

Excellent work, I?m waiting in excitement

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @cygnusEd

Sorry for the long silence. I think you're right, it's time for some news

Wow, that's "some" news Edgar!

The reason for the silence is, that I have recompiled the Cygnix package completely...

I'm looking forward the new programs! Thanks...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd

Really great job ! I tested the previous version and it was a good surprise, now it can bring us many missing apps.

Quote:

acefnq wrote:

What can I say. Brilliant work. All of a sudden we get an XCel capable spreadsheet to match the already available (and I have used it many, many times) Abiword. Don't forget we have the very capable PowerPoint viewr PointRider as well (native).

@acefnq
Thank you again I have now better results on PointRider (image and text rendering) and the next release will be much nicer.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

Quote:
I started playing with Cygnix tonight just to see how fast or slow it is under the latest update, believe me it is no slouch as it stands so any improvement will be great.

On which kind of partition did you install Cygnix? It is very important for the performance of Cygnix to install it on your fastest HD.

Example:

I've installed two test versions of Cygnix:
The first one on a HD connected to the onboard controller formatted with FFS without caching.
The second one on a HD connected to a SIL0680 controller with enabled DMA and formatted with SFS.

Then I started AbiWord on both systems. On the first system it needs 13 seconds, on the second system it only needed 5 seconds!

You see, that the perfomance of Cygnix depends much on the HD speed. Not only the startup is faster, also working with a program is faster too.

BTW: I figured out, that Cygnix does not work on a partition formatted without support for long filenames!!!
If someone has problems with Cygnix, please check this!

CygnusEd

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SZAMAN

The default theme for Enlightenment will be of course your OS4 theme
Also the GTK2 theme will be an OS4 theme.

Thanks for your work!

CygnusEd

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chip

No, sorry. I have no news about a rootless server

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd

Great looking work! Between AbiWord and Gnumeric, we might
actually be able to start interacting with the rest of the real
(business) world with our Amigas again!

THANK YOU CygnusEd!

PJS

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@pjs

This days I think in bossiness world is absolutely necessary to have e-mail client where you can book appointments, a possibility to connect to your office using your privet network, if you?re in your office you need to be able to access your SQL server to obtain sales information, reports, number of units in stock at your storage, we also on the edge of new area where business is more and more liked up towards PDA?s and distribution nets require information shearing between different kind of systems, sales, marketing, advisement, storage and distribution, and every thing is in your local or global database, sharing document, customer information on your fileserver.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd

thanx for the GREAT report! that was more than I asked for really! mucho appreciated!

Go to top

Register To Post