Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

jarokuczi, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: New hardware from Amiga.inc
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helge

Quote:
I don't think that Amiga Inc has access to OS4,

Adam (ACK) does.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hmm, now that i think of it, Bill said there would be
a path from OS4 to OS5. Maybe the hardware from
ACK can do a multiboot in OS4 and OS5.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Helge

Quote:

Adam (ACK) does.

I have a very unpleasant feeling about this. Or is it just me?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helge

ssolie from the "news" thread on AW:

Quote:
My only question is what exactly does "Amiga Operating System" mean in that press release. We all know Hyperion and Amiga Inc. have not been the best of friends in the past when they went public with their dispute. Keeping in mind Amiga Inc. could label anything an "Amiga Operating System" if they felt like it I am nervous this may mean the end of Amiga OS 4.0 and a whole lot of sad OS4 devs and users.

Hmm...no Helge, I don't think it's just you who is concerned.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'm just wondering if we are going to see a change of the current A1 Hardware licence model here.

Rather than what has been done before with Eyetech paying a royalty to Amiga Inc for each AmigaOne Sold.

Maybe Amiga want a bigger slice of the PIE.
And who can blame them for that.

I'm wondering if what we have here is start of "Amiga Inc." Amiga's, not 3rd party, AmigaOS4 compatible hardware.

So maybe, just maybe, Amiga pick up the manufacturing costs as well as ACK's design costs and then pay ACK a design royalty for each board sold.

Not thats its of much consequence to the end user.

But if Amiga have there own hardware, why do they have to give out licences to Troika or Acube.

This could be the first steps to taking it all "back in house"

In the press release it Amiga that says they will be working with the retailers, not ACK working with the retailers.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jurassicc

Quote:

Jurassicc wrote:
But if Amiga have there own hardware, why do they have to give out licences to Troika or Acube.

In the press release it Amiga that says they will be working with the retailers, not ACK working with the retailers.

But this will mean that Hyperion is out of the running, right? It would make sense, because they are not named in the press release. If ACK has the source code of OS4, he can make the changes himself to make it run on his hardware and then give the OS to Amiga Inc. and they could produce the CD-ROMs.
But OTOH ACube have announced that they are the world-wide distributor of OS4. So there is a conflict in your theory or not?

I am not sure what it would mean to the future of OS4 if Hyperion is out of the running and it is all transferred to Amiga Inc. Nothing too good I think... :-/

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

Well its not really a theory, but just a thought.

Isn't Amigas goal this OS5 digital environment.

Whether or not they need OS4 as a stepping stone or intend to build upon OS4 to create OS5 remains to be seen.

If you beleive the 20 questions OS5 been in development for 2 Years.

Guess it all depends wheather or not Amiga intend to Pay for the work Hyperion have done and take OS4 back in house.

First get your own hardware, then get OS4 back if you can if not, well weve got OS5 anyway.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I thnk we can rule out AOS5 for the ACK boards. When Bill McEwan mentioned it did he not say they don't even have a kernal for it yet?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Jurassicc

Interesting take on the situation. It may not be too far from the truth as there is a lot of credibility in what you are suggesting...

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

Mee too

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Helge
Quote:
I am not sure what it would mean to the future of OS4 if Hyperion is out of the running and it is all transferred to Amiga Inc. Nothing too good I think... :-/

I hope it won't be transferred. It is not an "out-sourcing" here. Otherwise Hyperion wouldn't have been allowed to distribute OS4 (as far as I understand it). According to Amiga.inc site: Hyperion are the partners who are licensed to develop OS4.

All we can do is wait and see...

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jurassicc

Quote:

Jurassicc wrote:
I'm just wondering if we are going to see a change of the current A1 Hardware licence model here......

You hit on something Jurassicc, a new licence model.

If this Ack & Amiga Inc. announcement goes forward, it might break the contract between the "Amiga One Partners".

So maybe Amiga wants a lawsuit from Hyperion and Eyetech the other two parties in the contract? or

The Amiga one partners have made a new contract?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Helge

Quote:

Adam (ACK) does.

does he have LEGAL access to OS4 sources ? ie: does he have permission to distribute them ?
and why would AInc not have access ?

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)