Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: POLL: What graphics card(s) do you currently use on AmigaOS 4.x?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The Radeon 8xxx-9xxx seems to rule them all

Retired
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
The Radeon 8xxx-9xxx seems to rule them all.

Well, it is the best card series that supports 3D, and there should be a lot of older A1 and Sam440 machines out there. Maybe I should have asked how many people plan to upgrade when 3D drivers for RadeonHD cards are available.

EDIT: The numbers look different if you group the cards. Radeon HD cards collectively account for 45% of all cards, while 40% are old Radeon 7xxx-9xxx cards. I'm keeping Radeon X1xxx cards separate despite the RadeonHD.chip driver supporting them, as they are very different (more like the Radeon 9xxx than HD cards).

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2014/5/25 22:52:02
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans
Yes is looks like quite an even split between users such as myself running OS4 still using older hardware like (in my case a sam440ep with onboard M9) and more modern OS4 systems with PCIe graphics cards.

Which is reassuring as although the numbers are low it show people are still investing in my systems and upgrades for existing ones.

I myself have no plans to purchase a new highend system such as an x1000 or the like as its just too expensive for me, but will probably upgrade to a newer PCIe based sam460 in the future.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Radeon HD 6570 on X1000

Marko

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can see the poll, but I can't vote. Perhaps I already voted, but I don't remember doing so.

Edit: http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... t_id=90996#forumpost90996 (What's wrong with me? :-/ I barely remember doing that)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Have a Pegasos II so stuck with older PCI cards, would love the 9800pro to get some love

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans
What's the difference between radeonhd 7000 series and radeon r9 290? Seems to be almost all gfx carfs for sale are radeon rx xxx, instead of radeonhd 7xxx.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
@Hans
What's the difference between radeonhd 7000 series and radeon r9 290? Seems to be almost all gfx carfs for sale are radeon rx xxx, instead of radeonhd 7xxx.

They're one of the next generation of cards after the Radeon HD 7xxx/8xxx series.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

Plans to support those cards aswell?
Do you know if those cards have got any support in gallium yet?

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
almost related:

I wonder if Ultra Varisys has some contacts from military arena where there could be partner for Radeon driver developments for PPC.
http://wwwd.amd.com/catalog/salescat. ... bd4005ac776?OpenDocument#

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
can we use cards out of macs ?

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
Plans to support those cards aswell?
Do you know if those cards have got any support in gallium yet?

Obviously, we're going to have to support newer generations at some point when the currently supported ones are no longer available. I'm hoping that the supply of older cards won't dry up too soon, though.

No idea regarding their Gallium support.

@poweramiga

Quote:
can we use cards out of macs ?

I don't know. Graphics cards for Mac used to have different firmware from cards for PCs, which meant that they only worked in Macs. I have no idea if this is still true.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

This is true, PC BIOS and OpenFirmware for MacOS,

I used to have a pair of Matrox cards that only differed in the firmware

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One big question to Hans:

Does the RadeonHD-Driver support Duallink over DVI-Out on my RadeonHD6570 in order to Support:

- High Resolutions above FULLHD (> 1920 x 1080).

- High Refresh rates, there are LCD´s out there who can Display up to 120Hz.

A friend of me will borrow me his 22" with 120Hz for a couple of days to test if the RadeonHD driver can meet the above mentioned requirements.

Specially the 100Hz-Mode is interesting while running E-UAE with 50Hz PAL-Games (assuming that games triggers a 50fps output like Turrican..etc). That should be a very smooth experience, because 50fps fits exactly to 100Hz (showing a frame twice). In 60Hz on normal TFT-Displays you see on games which use 50Hz scrolling that theres hops between 50Hz output of the Emulator and the 60Hz of the Monitor, its not that smooth that it could be

And in normal Workbench use all commands that require dragging of Windows, Screens, Mousepointer will maybe benefit from it in terms of smoothness. And of course Games that can provide stable 120Hz+.

Edited by fingus on 2014/6/5 11:01:46
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@hans

Also I want to ask something.

Is the dual head support being worked on or is it way down in priority list?

Perhaps graphics driver development priority list could be released by ssolie? (with rough status even...)

- Kimmo
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@fingus

Quote:
Does the RadeonHD-Driver support Duallink over DVI-Out on my RadeonHD6570 in order to Support:

It should do, although I have never been able to test it properly (my monitor is single-link).

The closest that I have come to testing, is to plug a monitor in to VGA and DVI simultaneously. Picasso96 took the timing data from the VGA port, which tipped the clock frequency over the threshold for dual-link. As a result, my DVI monitor (which isn't dual-link capable) lost half of the horizontal pixels. While that indicates that dual link is working, it's not the same as seeing it on a dual-link monitor.

@KimmoK
Quote:
Is the dual head support being worked on or is it way down in priority list?

That depends on what you mean by "dual head" support. Right now, if you plug in multiple monitors (at boot time), then the display will be output to all monitors. So "multiple head" is supported in "display clone" mode.

If you're talking about displaying different images on different monitors and/or stretching workbench over multiple displays, then no, that's not being worked on right now. 3D support really is (and should be) the top priority as far as graphics is concerned.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I am using a Dell 30" (U3011) with 2560×1600@50Hz with my RadeonHD 5450 in the X1000, and have done so for a year and a half now. It works fine. I am even using it via a DVI DL capable KVM (ATEN CS 1784A).

So yes, DVI DL works.

I haven't tried using higher refresh rates.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

>If you're talking about displaying different images on different monitors and/or stretching workbench over multiple displays,

Yes.

> then no, that's not being worked on right now. 3D support really is (and should be) the top priority as far as graphics is concerned.

OK, very understandable.
As there is anyway the option to use two cards to get dual monitor output, the need is not mandatory.

Thank you for the answer.

- Kimmo
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
>@nbache
>I am using a Dell 30" (U3011) with 2560×1600@50Hz with my >RadeonHD 5450 in the X1000, and have done so for a year >and a half now. It works fine. I am even using it via >a .DVI DL capable KVM (ATEN CS 1784A).
>
>So yes, DVI DL works.
>
>I haven't tried using higher refresh rates.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Niels

I tested a Dell 27 inch with 2560x1440 which is working flawlessly in my office on my SamFlex 460EX with Radeon 6450 card. With a standard DVI cable if I´m correct.

Only the new generation 4K monitors is much more interesting, and costs not a lot more then this Dell 27
inch. But using the highest resolution could be problematic on the Amiga.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

Quote:

Only the new generation 4K monitors is much more interesting, and costs not a lot more then this Dell 27
inch. But using the highest resolution could be problematic on the Amiga.

I don´t think so. It´s a matter of bandwidth provided by the graphic-card and the higher RadeonHD-Modells should handle that.

You can have then 40pt Fonts for Icons with a nice rounded Shape!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »