Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Call for tests: soon dopus5.9
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All

After almost 1.5 year of work on dopus5, we at the line when we want to release 5.9 version. A lot of added, fixed, changed, ported and whatever , but before release we want to test os3 and os4 versions more deeply (aros version already in tests by aros users/devs, and mos version out of release sadly, as we didn't have morphos developer currently. Test builds can be done, but some important bugs in mos builds are welknown, and we can't release it with such bugs).

So, plz, anyone who have interst in do test os3 and os4 versions of latest nighly builds at http://dopus5.org. Stress it heavy.

The things which is 100% need tests on os4 is lately added by BSzili and Xenic 64bit support for disk and files. I.e. in human language it mean support of more that 4gb+ , and in filesizes, and in all other dopus5 functions (copy, move, getsize, titles, and all the stuff) and in showing space/size of big disks and all other necessary stuff. We test/fix step by step all involved parts, but, probably some parts of it still need to be updated to 64bit support.

So plz! Test it heavy and report all problems , so we can fill them to our bugzilla. The main and major tests should gone to stress is all in terms of 64bit support. All other bugs also important too, but 64bit tests is must (so there will be no situation that we release 5.9 version, and then realize that something necessary weirdy fucked).

Thanks !

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Call for tests: soon dopus5.9
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Cool! Thanks for your continued efforts! Dopus rocks! I will do some testing for sure!

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@kas1e
Great work. Until now I found a conflict with amidock. When running DOpus in "Workbench: Use" display mode, then only the main dock of running amidock disappears. Any other available dock remains visible.

Have in mind that if I close amidock and run it again then it works just fine. The dopus doesn't run automatically on every reboot, but manually.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It was a great suprise to find out that 64 bit support had been added when i downloaded the latest dopus a few days ago. It has been so quitet around dopus lately so i didn't expect to find any new features.

I do not have any 4gb+ files but i will continue to use & test it everytime i use my Amiga.

I will install the new version on my classic amiga too (currently i'm using the orginal version there). Can it display large file & partitions now or is this an OS4 feature atm?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@smf
For os3 only partitions (i.e. 64bit disk support will works fine). But no 64bit files, because of limitations of os3 filesystem. There is few hacks/tricks/etc to make it works, but it will give more problems than benefits for os3 users.

Also have in mind, if you will use real 68k amiga for tests, loading maybe slow because of new fullcolor toolbar. So if you will be in interest of the same instant loading of dopus5 on your classic, then you will need to use old-classic-low-color toolbar images.

@walkero
Quote:

Great work. Until now I found a conflict with amidock. When running DOpus in "Workbench: Use" display mode, then only the main dock of running amidock disappears. Any other available dock remains visible.

I have 2 docks on my wb, and when i just run dopus5 manually, and then choice "workbench:use" then i can see my 2 docks (one at bottom, and one done as top bar tray kind). All ok in my case. Or you mean something else (have steps to reproduce?). Maybe you have some special settings in amidock ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'll test it with AmiKit/OS3.9
Is there any changelog so I know what to test particularly?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amikit
For os3 just stress it in all ways, but what is important more is 64bit support for disks/partitions, as well as check is there something wrong happens with sizes of files when copy/rename/move them, when create directories , etc. I.e. basic DOS functions. And just test it in whole, because if there will be no bugs found in last days, we probably will go with that as 5.9 release.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

I have downloaded latest nightly build. DOpus crashed when I did the following, but I can't reproduce it again.

- Downloaded OpenJK archive.
- Double-clicked on archive to see the contents.
- Marked lister with OpenJK contents as source
- Marked lister of OpenJK game directory as destination.
- When I drag & drop the archive contents to archive directory, I had a crash with progress bar.

However as I said, I can't reproduce it now..

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
For os3 only partitions (i.e. 64bit disk support will works fine). But no 64bit files, because of limitations of os3 filesystem.
There are no such limits in the AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version of SFS, it supports everything the AmigaOS 4.x version does.
(Except for diskcache.library support since there is no AmigaOS 3.x version of it, and most optimizations are only in the AmigaOS 4.x version. It's just much slower but but there is no difference in the functionality at all.)

Quote:
There is few hacks/tricks/etc to make it works, but it will give more problems than benefits for os3 users.
Hacks aren't required, for example simply use my dos64 link library and it will work exactly the the same way as on AmigaOS 4.x . The only difference is that it doesn't include fall back code for old file systems like the dos.library 64 bit functions do, my dos64 functions don't even work for files < 4 GB if the file system doesn't support large files.
Or implement your own functions using the 64 bit packets.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
@Amikit
For os3 just stress it in all ways, but what is important more is 64bit support for disks/partitions, as well as check is there something wrong happens with sizes of files when copy/rename/move them, when create directories , etc. I.e. basic DOS functions. And just test it in whole, because if there will be no bugs found in last days, we probably will go with that as 5.9 release.

Let me ask the question again: Is there any changelog so I know exactly what was changed and thus I can focus on what to test?

To stress it all ways or in whole, like you said, is like testing a black box.

Edited by AmiKit on 2014/5/6 18:19:26
Edited by AmiKit on 2014/5/7 11:31:49
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit
I write few times different answers, but in end: don't bother with, skip it and wait for final 5.9 release after which you can post bugs with which you will meet to our bz.

Edited by kas1e on 2014/5/6 6:45:39
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
Yep, that sounds good, and one of testers already point out us before on it, but there is few moments (i just do copy+paste and a bit of rephrase from our forum, hope BSzili with Xenic doesn't mind):

1. While your SFS support up to 4gb file sizes on os3, still most programs use a signed 32-bit long to store the file size, just as dos.library. Even if we will use your 64-bit dos extensions, we will be hard pressed to find any program which actually supports it.

2. Your extensions only supported by your SFS. It probably won't be too useful though, since the majority of the 68k existing software uses the dos.library functions, which have a 2GB limit.

3. The function that returns filesizes in that library will return an error for every file on a filesystem that doesn't support 2GB+ files. It's just not suitable to add a system to Dopus5 that only works on one filesystem. It will just slow down operation on a default FFS filesystem. And only a handful of OS3 programs can handle 2GB+ and the rest will probably just crash if you try to load a file that large.

Probably fallback code can be done and so on, but we need sources of your linklibrary as well, if you can share them, of course :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
1. While your SFS support up to 4gb file sizes on os3
Only the SFS\0 format is limited to 4 GB, just like FFS max. 4 GB - 2 bytes (or maybe it's 4 GB - 1 byte, not sure), the SFS\2 format supports larger files, of course on AmigaOS 3.x as well.

Quote:
2. Your extensions only supported by your SFS.
Wrong, it doesn't use anything SFS specific but the standard AmigaOS 64 bit packets and therefore works with any file system with 64 bit support.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
Quote:

Wrong, it doesn't use anything SFS specific but the standard AmigaOS 64 bit packets and therefore works with any file system with 64 bit support.

But that "any file system with 64 bit support" on os3 are your sfs only ?:)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg
I tested your dos64 link library in OS3 dopus5. Yes, I can see the 64bit size for a 2GB+ file when I load a directory containing such a file in a dopus5 lister. However, dopus5 is much more than looking at a filesize in a lister. When you try to copy a 2GB+ file with OS3 dopus5 it gets truncated to about 1.5GB. Filesize related issues arise for other builtin dopus5 commands too. Dopus5 is a big complicated program and just linking in your dos64 library doesn't magically make everything work right for 2G+ files.

Another issue was speed. Your dos64 library opens files to get the filesize. Performing a "GetSize" operation on a directory with thousands of files was unbearably slow when every single file is opened. It only takes about a second or two with standard directory recursion.

In addition, I don't have a classic Amiga any more to test it on, but I don't see how an classic OS3 user can even copy a 2GB+ file onto his hard disk or manipulate such a large file with standard AmigaDOS commands. Will AmigaDOS commands like copy, join, list, sort, search etc. even work properly with 2GB+ files?

In the end we decided it was better not to slow down OS3 dopus5 and that seeing a 2GB+ in a lister and not being able to perform any dopus5 functions on such files wasn't a good idea. Maybe you can attribute that decision to a lack of programming skills but none of the "active" programming team members has a classic Amiga and it was extremely difficult to get everything working when we had no way of debugging on OS3 hardware.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
Is there any changelog or not? If not, is it going to be there in final 5.9 release?

I am really curious what has been changed/improved.

Edited by AmiKit on 2014/5/7 12:09:22
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Sorry my ignorance, but is it possible to use directory opus as a filemanager, not a wb replacent? I mean it would open in one window?

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@kas1e
Yeap. The dock that disappeared was configured to be always at the background. So DOpus opened over it.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@utri007

Quote:

Sorry my ignorance, but is it possible to use directory opus as a filemanager, not a wb replacent? I mean it would open in one window?

I used to use it like that on my a1200 but I had to open it on a sepaerate screen.

If you want a windowed file manager use filer.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Filer is no good it's the same style as dopus5, one lister per window. Dopus4 is what utri007 is after.

You CAN set dopus5 up on it's own screen to sort of work like dopus4, there used to be a dopus4type environment file you could load but that's not in the archive anymore. However that's really a waste of Dopus5, if that's what you want stick to Dopus4.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »