Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Sample editor, removal of clicks in vinyl recordings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
@Severin:

Neat trick with the PNG file, BTW. Worked a treat.

Best regards,

Niels

I thought that would be better than pasting the whole config file. I just hope more people use it, specially when they think they have to post crashlogs etc.

Edit: Just did a test with a crashlog, 40k down to 13k and is 200x196 pixels. That would save an enormous amount of thread space

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Okay, status so far:

I've got SoundFX set up and running. The problem with the Player select control going into a CPU loop is present also under the public OS4, so at least it's not a recent beta thing . Thanks to Severin's config file I don't need to use that selector, so that's solved (or worked around). I've tried loading one of my samples, and I can zoom in and find the clicks I want to edit out. But I can't find a way to actually edit it. Any tips are welcome.

I have tried AmiSoundEd and find the same: I don't see any way to make direct edits of the waveform. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless someone chimes in with the magic info, I think I'll try booting my X1000 into Linux one of these days to see what tools are available there. Maybe something useful could be ported .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
I can't find a way to actually edit it. Any tips are welcome.

I don't think you can edit the waveform directly by drawing it like you could with something like Audiomaster IV. There is a decrackle tool that might do it, I've not got anything here to test it on though. If that doesn't work it's the slow way... select the click and use halfvolume in the amplify tool but that'll take hours

If the decrackle tool does work there's a batch processor in the project menu so you can leave it overnight working away on all your files

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yeah, well, I'm not that keen to make a batch process out of it, I prefer to have full control over what is done in the few places that need attention.

So that was AudioMaster IV I remember being able to do this in? Hmm, might be. Well, that's no use now, it only supported IFF 8SVX files, IIRC, and - although I haven't tried - I'd be very surprised if it ran on NG Amigas .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Believe it or not: I just started AudioMaster IV, loaded a 8svx sample and played it - no patches active (!). So, yes, it works just fine on OS4.1 and my X1000... The screen mode wasn't perfect (palette), but I'm sure it can be tweaked to display correct. Gosh!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Why don't you use Samplemanager 2.0 from Thilo Köhler aka "Wanderer" (Author of HD-Rec) ? Works perfectly here on X1000

http://www.hd-rec.de/Archive/Samplemanager.lha

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geograph

SampleManager is far too basic to do the job, you could just cut the clicks out with it but that will ruin the tempo etc. it's ok for the odd 'digital error' in a file but for a vinyl recording you might not have much left.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes, and there's also the problem with SampleManager that its GUI can't be resized, so I get a very small window to work in (my WB res is 2560×1600).

And again, I don't see any way of directly mouse-editing the curve.

I have actually used SampleManager a lot previously for minor tasks, most often volume changes and format conversions, and it does work fine for what it does.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache
Quote:
Yeah, I did check that out, and I like it. It's a lot like SampleManager in its user interface and concept, but even simpler.

But I didn't see any way to manually edit the waveform. If I click on a point in the wave, it always seems to think I want to select it as a (small) range. Am I missing something?

You drag select an area of the audio waveform and select the volume menu to adjust the volume of the selected region of the waveform. It's a little tricky because the pointer selection isn't precise. It will also look like nothing happened until you move the selection point or move the scroller at the bottom.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
<quote>
Unless someone chimes in with the magic info, I think I'll try booting my X1000 into Linux one of these days to see what tools are available there. Maybe something useful could be ported
</quote>

Ehm, you may want to port Audacity...

johan

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
OctaMED Soundstudio has the same freehand function as OctaMED (since v4 if not before), but there is the annoyance with the frequency information not being retained.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Nbache, in hd-rec you can resize sample window, zoom, edit, add effects and save the sample from the window rather then render the whole thing. So you work directly with the sample.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

xenic wrote:

You drag select an area of the audio waveform and select the volume menu to adjust the volume of the selected region of the waveform. It's a little tricky because the pointer selection isn't precise. It will also look like nothing happened until you move the selection point or move the scroller at the bottom.
Hmm, I guess that could work, although it sounds a little less intuitive than the freehand drawing way.

Thanks, I'll check again.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
johan wrote:

Ehm, you may want to port Audacity...
That would of course be a sweet thing to have on AmigaOS.

Unfortunately it does have some dependencies, the most important blocker ATM is wxWidgets, AFAICS. But who knows - it may yet happen once that is available?

However, Audacity also looks like a project of a size I would not want to take on as my first major Amiga-based project.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Kicko wrote:
Nbache, in hd-rec you can resize sample window, zoom, edit, add effects and save the sample from the window rather then render the whole thing. So you work directly with the sample.
I need to look more at this also. Editing is still not free-hand, though, is it?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NBache

Quote:

That would of course be a sweet thing to have on AmigaOS.

Unfortunately it does have some dependencies, the most important blocker ATM is wxWidgets, AFAICS. But who knows - it may yet happen once that is available?

However, Audacity also looks like a project of a size I would not want to take on as my first major Amiga-based project.

Should you get the mad urge to port a linux based DAW to amigaos don't both with Audacity it's way over rated, go for the real thing, Ardour

http://ardour.org/

Back on topic I was sure you could darw wave forms in SoundFX but I can't see how now, I must have been dreaming....

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ardour in Amiga??? What a dream!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
broadblues wrote:
@NBache

Should you get the mad urge to port a linux based DAW to amigaos don't both with Audacity it's way over rated, go for the real thing, Ardour

http://ardour.org/
Err ... not bloody likely, my friend

From the development section on the homepage:

Quote:
Ardour is written in C++ (with a little C and assembler thrown in where it makes sense).
Might be doable, depends partly on the assembler parts and why they "make sense".

Quote:
The graphical user interface is written using the gtkmm C++ "wrapper" around the GTK+ toolkit.
Any sign of that on AmigaOS?

Quote:
The codebase is currently at about 160,000 lines of code, which includes some 3rd party C++ libraries. The user interface alone is about 48,000 lines while the backend ("engine") weighs in at about 34,000 lines.
Yikes! And those 3rd party C++ libraries ... I smell problems here.

Quote:
Ardour makes heavy use of libsigc++ as a way to provide anonymous coupling between components, particulular between the backend and user interface.
Right, if we hadn't already been running like h*ll ...

Quote:
The code makes heavy use of the Model-View-Controller programming model, and attempts to draw from the best work on programming pattern languages.
Okay, that's at least a nice intention, and with a bit of luck also nicely executed. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy to port.

All in all, that urge would have to be madder than I'd ever like to get.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

Always thought you were a sane kind of chap

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php is also a good program. It´s like FLStudio but I dont know if its dependencies are covered in the Amiga area.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Compiling_LMMS

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »