Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

DVI-D on SAM440
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As my SAM440 is now on it's way, I need to buy a new monitor to hook up to it... the one I've found only has a DVI-D connector.

Would this be suitable for connecting up to the SAM440, which I believe has a DVI-I? I've read they are compatible in some cases if the correct signals are sent.

Also, the max screen res would be 1920x1080 but the SAM, via DVI, would only do 1600x1200 maximum resolution. Are there any consequences of scaling resolutions etc? I thought LED monitors were only supposed to run at a certain resolution or things would look a tad blurry?

Any help would be appreciated!

Daniel

Go to top
Re: DVI-D on SAM440
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well, yes, it will look a little blurry since LCD screens only have one "native" resolution. (LED screens are just LCDs with LED backlighting instead of fluorescent). DVI-I is basically DVI-D and DVI-A combined, and so is 100% compatible with DVI-D, provided the DVI portion of the output is enabled.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine the screenmode could be tweaked to fit - 1920x1080 isn't very many more pixels than 1600x1200 so it shouldn't be that much of an extra load on the graphics system. But I don't have one so don't quote me on it! :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I just bought a 23" led monitor, native mode is 1920x1080. I'm using 1920x1080x16 on a micro, but it will go down to other resolutions, 1440x900 being the closest to what you would need.

I would buy a gfx card, if I were you, maybe an x1950 or a 9250. Just check to make sure one will work, if it does, you could use 1920x1080.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Slash
Like sundown I run a 24" (Samsung) on my Micro (Radeon 7000)
at 1920 x 1080, admittedly via VGA, I run ImageFX and Candy Factory pro at 1280 x 960 with no problems (well they look OK to me, ie not blurred)
So if you can get yourself a ATI 9250 you shouldn't have any problems.

What type of Monitor are you hoping to get?

My Samsung is a Syncmaster P2450 with VGA/DVI and HDMI inputs

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
You may need to add +RB to the mode spec. I used to have my 440ep connected to our flat screen tv (using a DVI to HDMI adapter) with a screen mode of 1920×1080@50+RB, and that worked fine. But not without the +RB.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Either +RB or -RB. You may want to try both if the other doesn't work (monitors goes off and on again).

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slash:

I guess it's a Sam 440ep-Flex (with PCI graphics card)? Your new graphics card is sure to support 1920x1080.

If on the other hand you are getting an older Sam 440ep with built-in Radeon M9 graphics, it might be working a bit hard trying to keep up with 1920x1080. You may find you can do better by using a lower resolution.

In both cases, if you open Prefs/Screenmode and select the Monitors tab, you can select the "Detect settings automatically" and "All supported modes" buttons, then, after a reboot, you'll see all the modes that the monitor can display. You can then choose something less taxing.

Don't make my mistake and use a DVI-VGA adaptor between the cable and the computer. All the adaptors that I've tried don't have the DDC conductors wired through, so the automatic detection can't work.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw

That's weird, I've used the cheapest - £1.12 (1.70 AUD) inc delivery - dvi adaptors I could find and they have all worked fine.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@Slash:

If on the other hand you are getting an older Sam 440ep with built-in Radeon M9 graphics, it might be working a bit hard trying to keep up with 1920x1080. You may find you can do better by using a lower resolution.

I use a 24" LCD monitor (aspect ratio 16:10) whose native resolution is 1920x1200. This is definitely too much for the M9, even with +RB or -RB. The next manufacturer-recommended lower resolution, 1680x1050, displays OK. The M9 can go even higher, doing 1600x1200 just fine, but I guess 1920x1080 will be out of its limits.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just an update for anyone who's interested.

First, thanks for all of the comments and recommendations. I've finally got my SAM440EP up and running in it's brand new, and very tiny, Jetway JC203... silent and cool!

I opted for a 20" HP monitor with DVI and it works very well at 1600x900x32. That's plenty enough for me.

Just migrating all of my stuff from the A1, well the development data anyway, so I'll be able to resume my Amiga programming projects.

What to do though...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@slash

Quote:

I've finally got my SAM440EP up and running in it's brand new, and very tiny, Jetway JC203... silent and cool!

Yeah, silent, tiny and cool... the selling point of the Sam, for me at least.

Quote:

so I'll be able to resume my Amiga programming projects.

This is even cooler than the case!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Slash wrote:
Just an update for anyone who's interested.

Just migrating all of my stuff from the A1, well the development data anyway, so I'll be able to resume my Amiga programming projects.

It's not often than an A1 user move to SAM667EP (less CPU power)

BTW, what are your programming projects on the Amiga ?

bye

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top

Register To Post