Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Sharing a Hard drive
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So I have bought this new 2TB hard drive which is mainly meant to be used as Storage for photos and documents.

Now, I want to share the disk between my Mac, Amiga's and possibly use it as NAS (my router can be configured to share a disk once it's connected to its USB port)

Since some files (VMWare files) are possibly going to exceed the 4gb size, FAT32 is not so welcome. I could however split some files and use a sparse bundle image.

The only other possibility I see, is to use EXT2, in order to have read/write access to my data on every system.

I know there is an NTFS filesystem "driver" on Aminet, but it has no write support. On mac there is the same problem unless I buy the commercial NTFS driver (I was not able to make the NTFS-3G filesystem work with MacFuse).

That said, I partitioned the drive with ubuntu an created one single big EXT2-partition. My Router can see it, as does my Mac, but i'm not able to mount it on OS4.

USB-masstorage-Device tries to mount it but there seems no way to add a filesystem.

I got ext2 from aminet, Created a mountlist, but it tells me USBx is already mounted. (no mountlist in Devs: nor in Devs:DOSDrivers.

Any idea? Or should I reformat and repartition the drive? But I dislike to have 2 or more partitions because I can not predict which partitions will grow more.

Thanks

p.s. I'm posting this on AW too..

Go to top
Re: Sharing a Hard drive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Amigo1

maybe I am wrong, but if you connect your HD to a router, then it will be handled as some sort of "Network Share" or "FTP mount".... ? Or Am I wrong ? If so, you need Samba or FTPmount on AmigaOS, but once again maybe you have got another config ?

I never tried to configure a USB-(external)HD with ext2, I only did a partition of my internal one. This is my mountlist:

/* ** DosDriver automatically created by GiggleDisk ** ** GiggleDisk (c)2005 Guido Mersmann ** */  
FileSystem       L:EXT2FileSystem 
Device           
sii3114ide.device 
Unit             
0 BlockSize        512 
Surfaces         

SectorsPerBlock  

BlocksPerTrack   
Reserved         

PreAlloc         

Interleave       

MaxTransfer      
0x7FFFFFFF 
Mask             
0xFFFFFFFE 
LowCyl           
HighCyl          
Buffers          
600 BufMemType       1 StackSize        16384 
Priority         

GlobVec          
= -
DosType          
0x45585432 
Activate         

Mount            
/* Bootable      = FALSE */

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
thanks for the reply,

There is not problem in reading the hard drive over the router using FTP.

My problem is connecting it directly to the Amiga, I don't want to have to need additional hardware (aka the router) to read my files.

I'll look into your mountlist but I guess the problem is the USB-stack.

Maybe some dev can tell if it's possible to tell/add another filessystem to the USB-Stack.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Amigo1
Quote:

new 2TB hard drive

You need to use td64patch or the ext2
filesystem will fail at the 4GB limit. http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... ver/storage/td64patch.lha

Quote:

I got ext2 from aminet, Created a mountlist, but it tells me USBx is already mounted. (no mountlist in Devs: nor in Devs:DOSDrivers.

The USBx mountfiles are created and automounted on-the-fly by the usb-stack. If you want to use another filesystem you need to dismount USBx that was created by the usb-stack using the DISMOUNT command.

BTW: My system is unstable after dismounting USBx -> make some tests before you store something important on the harddisk.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Neither EXT2FileSystem nor NTFileSystem on Aminet has large file support AFAIK. In order for a filesystem to have working large file support it needs to support the new 64-bit dos packets introduced in AmigaOS 4.x dos.library.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You may consider usinf eSATA instead of USB for the connection. Would be much faster on Amiga.
You can get SATA -> eSATA connectors slots for nearly nothing on ebay & co.

Ciao, Alfred

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

serpi wrote:
You may consider usinf eSATA instead of USB for the connection. Would be much faster on Amiga.
You can get SATA -> eSATA connectors slots for nearly nothing on ebay & co.

Ciao, Alfred

Yes, thank you for the tip, I have considered this too; in fact i'm reading reviews of eSATA/USB/LAN and eSATA/USB/FireWire boxes.

Maybe someone here is already gone through the process and can recommend an external HardDrive-case?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@Amigo1

Neither EXT2FileSystem nor NTFileSystem on Aminet has large file support AFAIK. In order for a filesystem to have working large file support it needs to support the new 64-bit dos packets introduced in AmigaOS 4.x dos.library.

I don't mind to access large files from OS4.1 Those large files are VM hardfiles, I guess it will be ok if I leave them alone when I connect the HD directly to the Amiga.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
td64patch is required for (ext2fs and) OS 4.0 but not 4.1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

check this on the images gallery of this site (hardware section)

Mrodfr - PowerOver-E-SATA on REDONE

I'm using 2 delock external HD case N° 42465:

http://www.delock.com/produkte/index.html?gruppe=Geh%C3%A4use

Work great and I will surely buy another one

the HD is 5x100go SFS formatted. I'm using Linux and the EXT2filesystem to transfert to my FAT peripherals (MP3 player,etc...).

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Amigo1:

I don't think it matters how you connect the drive to the Amiga (USB, SATA or PATA), you will still need a filesystem to support the content. Until there is an up-to-date filesystem for EXT2 (or any of the others), you can't process I/O properly with a direct connection.

Your only recourse at the moment is the remote connection via FTP to the server.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

How about a bounty for ext2/ntfs or somiliar?
That's something id donate for. That could be included into os4 itself.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Buy a QNAP NAS station and throw the 2Tb drive in there.

Best thing I've ever bought; automatic SAMBA setup for your shares, web server, IMAP mail server, SVN server, Multimedia Station etc etc.

I have mine connected to my A1, Mac and PC and they all share data perfectly.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Slash:
Quote:

Best thing I've ever bought;

Sounds interesting. Which one did you get? Link? Price?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr
Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
Hello,

check this on the images gallery of this site (hardware section)

Mrodfr - PowerOver-E-SATA on REDONE

I'm using 2 delock external HD case N° 42465:

http://www.delock.com/produkte/index.html?gruppe=Geh%C3%A4use

Work great and I will surely buy another one

the HD is 5x100go SFS formatted. I'm using Linux and the EXT2filesystem to transfert to my FAT peripherals (MP3 player,etc...).

Thanks, but I'm more looking for something with integrated LAN

Edited by Amigo1 on 2011/6/4 1:13:02
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw
Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@Amigo1:

I don't think it matters how you connect the drive to the Amiga (USB, SATA or PATA), you will still need a filesystem to support the content. Until there is an up-to-date filesystem for EXT2 (or any of the others), you can't process I/O properly with a direct connection.

Your only recourse at the moment is the remote connection via FTP to the server.

So getting a drive case with LAN seems the best solution, I could connect and access to the files through the integrated FTP/Samba server.

Edited by Amigo1 on 2011/6/4 1:13:32
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique
Quote:

Antique wrote:
@tonyw

How about a bounty for ext2/ntfs or somiliar?
That's something id donate for. That could be included into os4 itself.

You can count me in for that!

Edited by Amigo1 on 2011/6/4 1:14:21
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache
Quote:

nbache wrote:
@Slash:
Quote:

Best thing I've ever bought;

Sounds interesting. Which one did you get? Link? Price?

Best regards,

Niels

the link is in his post, just hover over the Case name, or HERE

@Slash

nice case! Thanks for the tip! I've found a similar model QNAP TS 119p+ which seems to have better specs and be less power hungry.
In worse case scenario do you know if it's possible to configure the server with a webrowser; Or is there a need for some proprietary software which works only on some OS?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique:

Regarding EXT2 or NTFS: in order to do a thorough port, you would have to be familiar with the FS you were porting - that means being a Windows dev or a Linux expert. It's a bit outside my experience, I'm afraid.

In any case, I prefer to transfer at a higher level, eg FTP or SMBFS.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Amigo1 wrote:

the link is in his post, just hover over the Case name, or HERE

Ah, right - sorry, I wasn't using my normal system/browser, so I didn't notice the link (it's almost indistinguishible from normal text here in FF4 on my wife's Win7 laptop).

Yes, looks nice. There's some more info here: http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=3777&ML=971

So, is there an AmigaOS iSCSI initiator anywhere? Or should we have a look at porting one?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »