Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Help: Putting 3114 in XE
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can't boot!

I set up the new drives and Rosewill 3114 card with my parallel Sii still in. Media toolbox found the new SATA drives and I set them up with slb_2, partitioned them and then quick formatted all the partitions. I was able to copy across all my data from the parallel partitions. The partitions on the new SATA boot drive were named the same, so any assigns should still be good.

Both SATA drives are 1 TB Hitachi deskstars. If I boot from the DVD drive on the VIA port and go into Media Toolbox, both the SATA Hitachi's are found.

But once I pulled out the parallel Sii card and drives, if I try to boot from the Serial Sii I repeatedly get the message that no slb_2 can be found, and that only one of the drives is found.

I searched on "3114 boot SATA" here. So far no luck. What I read didn't really seem to address the same issue. . . unless it's the ports I used ont he card. I have the drives plugged into 0/0 and 1/0.

Do I need to go back to default U-Boot settings and start over here? I can change the boot device back to VIA CD-ROM and boot from my 4.1 update 1 CD, and then change back to try booting from the Sii SATA card and hard drive. So the U-Boot menu choices and saving seem to be working correctly.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: Help: Putting 3114 in XE
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Paul

You need to go into the UBoot menu, and tell it to boot from the Serial ATA card.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
@Paul

You need to go into the UBoot menu, and tell it to boot from the Serial ATA card.

Simon

Yup. Done that back and forth several times from the start up U-Boot menu.
Quote:
I can change the boot device back to VIA CD-ROM and boot from my 4.1 update 1 CD, and then change back to try booting from the Sii SATA card and hard drive. So the U-Boot menu choices and saving seem to be working correctly.

On both SATA harddrives, the slb is pointing to the L: drawer and SLB version 1.19.

I noticed in Expert Mode with Medai Toolbox there is a place for drive init code to be installed. I don't recall ever doing anything with this in the past. But is something supposed to be installed here?

But when the U-Boot menu is set and saved to start from the Sii Serial Disk in the menu, it keeps coming back saying there is no slb found. Boot priorities are set to 0 for the main drive, and -1 for the backup drive.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo & Paul:

I vaguely remember that the A1 UBoot isnt able to boot off a 3114 based SATA controller. Only 3112, and even not all types of it (I own one which is RAID supporting, it is even not recognized by AOS4 drivers. Ranger is showing it in the PCI listing).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@paul

iirc you can only boot from an IDE device on an SE/XE/Micro. The easiest solution is to have a small drive on the internal ide and boot from that (which is what I did on my MicroA1).

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@whose

That's the last I read also, that the 3114 does not work as the boot controller. However, it does work for many 3112 based controllers. I boot from a 3112 Rosewill card.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Severin

No, the 0680 controller definitely works, I have nothing connected to the on-board IDE in my XE.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

That's what I said (and was slightly wrong as you can boot from a 3112 as well) "You can only boot from IDE" and the 0680 is IDE :)

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul:

Quote:
On both SATA harddrives, the slb is pointing to the L: drawer and SLB version 1.19.

Depending on what exactly you mean by this, that could be your problem. You don't just point to the slb situated in L:, you actually install it onto the drive (in the disk preparation/installation page of MT). There is no L: at the point in startup where the SLB is needed.

@whose (and others):

Quote:
I vaguely remember that the A1 UBoot isnt able to boot off a 3114 based SATA controller.

I'm not sure that is correct any more. At least on the Sam it does work, doesn't it also on the A1?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Paul

Do I need to go back to default U-Boot settings and start over here? I can change the boot device back to VIA CD-ROM and boot from my 4.1 update 1 CD, and then change back to try booting from the Sii SATA card and hard drive. So the U-Boot menu choices and saving seem to be working correctly.
I don't know know the sii3114, but did you tell VIA IDE to shut-up? ISTR, we had a discussion a long time back on Yahoo about the sii0680ide setup for HDs and VI-Aide CDROMs. Well, that only worked for 0680 and 3112 cards. Do you have a right IDE driver/module in 'kick-layout' ?

My Adaptec Ultra ATA card would not go until internal IDE was shut-off.
ide_maxbus=0
ide_swap=0

P.S. I just checked the 3114 docs, you can't mix IDES anymore because of serial ATA.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

I checked it... the A1-UBoot doesnt support SII3114 boot.

SAM-UBoot was modified to make it boot from the internal SII3114, as this is the only controller available on a plain SAM machine

Maybe UBoot betas are able to boot off a 3114 within a A1, but they are not out in the wild...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@logicalheart

OK. I just ordered a Rosewill 3112 based card from Newegg. Reading about it indicates that there is a "mystery jumper" on this card that lets one disable the RAID capability, so that it acts just like a simple SATA port add-on. The RAID on my 3114 has no jumpers. A Windoze based utility has to be run to access the RAID rom. I might try putting the 3114 into a Windoze box to see if I can disable the RAID, since there is a 3114.kmod module in kickstart, just to see what happens.

@Snuffy,

I've had my boot drive and a back up drive attached to a Sii 0680 card for a long time now with the DVD drive wired to one of the onboard VIA IDE's. I could boot from either the HD or the DVD depending on what I set in the UBOOT menu.

If the 3112 card I just ordered doesn't do the trick, they make some nice, compact little SATA to IDE converters that plug onto the port header of the SATA hard drives. Then I could plug them into my Sii 0680 card.

@Niels

OK. That might indeed be the problem. Can't check it now since I'm not by my Amiga. I'll take a close look tonight with MT.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Paul

I have a Sii3114 SATA PCI card in my AmigaOne XE and indeed you cannot boot from it, that's why I kept my IDE drive attached on the internal IDE port, with the system on it.

If you can read French, you can read my test of this card on this link.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

You can ignore the drive init code. It isn't used. I ended up chasing my tail on that one some time back.

I had a similar problem with my IDE HD and finally wiped the whole disc and started over. Now works. Never had any experience with SATA, though

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@OldAmigan

Thanks. That takes away one concern.

What Niels wrote about the slb_2 needing to be installed, I guess I actually must have done. It seems that simply selecting the file after hitting the "Install" button does the install, since there appears to be no other action one can take after selecting the file to be installed.

In the meantime, I put the old PATA drives in. Connected to the VIA MOBO port, the A1 couldn't find the slb on them either. Then I put the Sii 0680 back in and it couldn't find the slb on the PATA drives connected to that, either. Finally after about 5 reboots, it suddenly found the slb on the PATA drives and booted up normally.

REALLY WEIRD!!

@K-L,

Quote:
If you can read French, you can read my test of this card on this link.

Not really. I could see enough cognate words to get the gist of it, though.

I still hope to play with the RAID utility in a windoze box on the 3114, to see if I can turn off RAID entirely and maybe make the card work for booting by doing that. If nothing else, I can use it for an extra SATA port when my IDE DVD drive dies some day, and all I can find is a SATA DVD.

Paul

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post