Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Developers, let's move PyGame forward!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Off-topic sorry, but the title of thread makes me think of that song by The Streets - Lets Push Things Forward.

hehe

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

the problem is still with us though...

the libjpeg.so on os4 depot is v8, and it is incompatible with some apps.
pygame is one of them.

i have compiled libjpeg6b, which pygame works perfectly with.
but i can't upload it to os4depot as i would have to replace the v8 libjpeg that is already present there.

i can't rename my version of libjpeg to libjpeg-6b.so as pygame is using sdl_image, which looks for libjpeg.so, so it still won't work, as it will not use my version.

what to do?....

i could replace micks v8 on os4depot using the same name, that would piss him off,
and some people would complain of pygame games not working, as they have the wrong version of libjpeg, as they haven't downloaded my new one...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@spotUP

Why not upload your version with a different archive name (the library name stays the same), like libjpeg6b.lha and make it clear in the readme that this version is for pygame compatibility? Also, porters of games that use pygame should indicate your version in the requirements of their ports.

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@spotUP

Can't you compile it into pygame statically?

Mark

For custom designed applications, websites, ecommerce and secure hosting visit:

www.icestarmedia.com
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Not trying to rain anyone's parade here, but the other night, I happened to gave a try on Moebius Skies (or something like that, the first game that was uploaded to OS4Depot and was utilizing PyGame). Well, my SamEp667Mhz/512Ram should be reaching around 3-4 fps in default window mode (totally unplayable). So, either, I must have done something wrong or the engine/python/pygame needs a huge optimization before implementing new libs etc.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@SpotUP

Still, you should think about making on os4depot a Games/PyGame directory. For sure that will clean many problems, because many users will not even try Python games (and they mostly will right).

For example, i see on os4depot, that: games/megazeuxx:
Quote:

MegaZeux, or MZX, is a game creation system (GCS) based on Tim Sweeney/Epic Megagames' classic shareware game ZZT. MegaZeux was created in late 1994 by Gregory Janson, who formed his own company, Software Visions (now defunct). Like ZZT, MZX was originally released as shareware and the world editor portion of the program was included for free, allowing third parties to create their own worlds without even registering.

I think, in the same way, will be very logical, to make Games/PyGame directory, where write "PyGame its blablaba, for blalalb, and by blablalb" , and it will sorted out many problems for many users. Some of them for sure not want to boring with all that stuff. Users should know what expect and from which game (imho).

@ALL
Only i am think that Games/PyGame should have place and putting all that pygame-stuff to that directory ?

Edited by kas1e on 2010/8/24 11:10:39
Edited by kas1e on 2010/8/24 12:30:07
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

>Plz , not here (aw.net is best place for such talks).

Incorrect, amigans.net is supposed to be for "Next Generation/Emulation/Classic", not just for OS4.

Or did this just change today and the site imagery has not yet been changed?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Minuous

please, start a new thread for python/pygame-os3.
this thread is about the development of the amigaos4 version.
pointless fights have no purpose in this thread.
if you want an os3 version, make it happen.
but please stop polluting this thread.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@spotUP

so finally i managed to compile a static version of pygame.. but it doesn't work..

File "PYTHON:Lib/random.py", line 108, in seed
a = long(_hexlify(_urandom(16)), 16)
ValueError: can't allocate I/O request

i am so tempted to just nuke that libjpeg v8 off the face of the planet earth and replace it with the good old libjpeg v6b now... grrrr!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@spotUP
Quote:
what to do?....

Check out the autodoc on elf.library and you'll find there is a search order for shared objects. The last place it looks is SOBJS: so you should be able to override it rather easily I would think.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Minuous
Quote:
...not just for OS4.

Although true the forum topic is clearly "AmigaOS4" so it is best to keep the discussion focused. Feel free to start a new topic in "Amiga Classic" or otherwise.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

yea, that is what i ended up doing.
i knew about it, but well.. i wanted to solve it for real.
the first game with libjpeg6b included is uploaded now.
it's called lightyears.
i also uploaded an archive with libjpeg6b.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Coming back after a long week-end at the beach ...

spotUP: Hum ... I knew there were libjpeg problems and I think the PyGame release was a bit too fast ...

I think libjpeg 6.2 was dropped on os4depot when version 8.0 was released. The initial problem I mentionned was libjpeg.so provided in OS4 had no includes and libs in the SDK. Many compiled programs and libs rely on version 6.2. I still wonder how shared object versions are managed by the OS. We will see other issues with libpng and others.

ssolie: ListDynDep only mentions libraries with version V1 or V2. Is there a way to setup this version number when a new version is released ? Maybe libjpeg 8.0 could get the number V3 ?

I think a choice is done by OS developers when they include shared objects in the OS releases.

Maybe we should release libjpeg 6.2 (if not done yet) and reach a stable situation. Next, it will be time to discuss how to handle the evolution of such (critical) shared objects.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@corto
Quote:
ssolie: ListDynDep only mentions libraries with version V1 or V2. Is there a way to setup this version number when a new version is released ? Maybe libjpeg 8.0 could get the number V3 ?

Please read the documentation that came with ListDynDep. You should also read the SDK introduction regarding V1 versus V2 shared object files. It has absolutely nothing to do with file versioning.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Ok, sorry, I did read too fast. I see, it is related to the ABI. But is it normal I have "SOBJS:libgcc.so V1" ?
With the example you gave, this lib is marked V2.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

>If you want to make PyGame for aos3, for sure, for you will be best place to visit amiga.org and amigaworld.net, because there is almost no one in interst about such retro-crap.

I don't know whether PyGame is crap or not, not having OS4....surely if it indeed crap it is not my fault though, I did not write it!?

>Also i hope you are smart enough to understand that none of us want to support os3 anymore.

You may not but it is wrong to assume that no one else does and to claim to speak on behalf of everyone. At the moment the Classic Amiga userbase is still much larger than that for OS4.1.

>If you want to talk about "only os3 make it possible", then go at any other site, and make your faggest here.

WTF, what are you calling me a faggot for, that is a bit much isn't it!? Go f**k yourself c**t. And when did I say "only os3 make it possible"?

>For sure, os3 lunatic have other place where they can jerky on outdated hardware and retro software.

I'm a lunatic for using AmigaOS 3, when OS4 is still missing functionality that is present in eg. 3.9? That makes no sense. And I'm typing this on a 2.4GHz machine, hardly oudated hardware, indeed it is faster than any Amiga that has ever been built. So really, who is using outdated hardware, not me...

Edited by Rigo on 2010/9/4 13:14:49
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Minuous

Quote:
>Also i hope you are smart enough to understand that none of us want to support os3 anymore. You may not but it is wrong to assume that no one else does and to claim to speak on behalf of everyone. At the moment the Classic Amiga userbase is still much larger than that for OS4.1.

I think he is refering to the people working now in the pygame port for AOS4: they are AOS4 users and interested in developing for AOS4, not AOS3. SO the answer is that they are not interested in porting it to ASO3.

Would be better to start a new thread to get someone interested in porting it to AOS3 instead of keeping this discussion in an AOS4 thread, or ask directly to someone like bernd_afa who still develops for AOS3 if he would be interested.

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Minuous
Have problems in life ? Can you please , just stop ? And why you put here, my PM which i write for you exactly for reassons to avoid such talks here , in topic which not for those talks ?

@Admins_of_amigans.net
Can you please do something with that ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)