Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

imagodespira, skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »
Re: Diropus Magellan OS4
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
It's been so long now. I guess it's time to give up hope?

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

No, it's still an ongoing project...

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The last update that I saw from GuruMeditation said that the majority of the source had been converted, and only the core of Opus (68K assembly) remained to be worked on. That was a couple of years ago.

I understand that projects get delayed or put on hold, especially with the low profit margins of the Amiga market, but it would be nice to know just how much longer we will have to wait.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SEP

If Directory Opus finally gets released for OS4 we all must be grateful with Guru Meditation for being so kind with us.

The situation is better than before with more OS4 users out there but we must wait to see if Guru delivers some new software for us.

If he does I will be grateful with him for trusting on the Amiga on such a difficult moment.

If not I'll be grateful but only for some software from the past.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Seems the Guru Meditation is out of business? Their website has not been put back online even though it's half of 2008 now.

Looking at the progress of OS4 (the new 4.1 version has been announced as you all know), I was wondering about the possibility that the OS4 team would take over the development of the Magellan and then incorporate it into the OS itself, let's say in OS4.2 or later. This would be a great boost for the OS as the Magellan is a really top-notch and feature rich product. Just my 2 cents...

But as always, there's still no new HW, unfortunatelly

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

not that an answer is of much use, since one can not use Magellan on OS4.x yet AFAIK, but has DOpus the ability to syncronize dirs?
I just loaded an evaluation copy of dopus9 for ehm.. Windows and I'm impressed.

But thinking further, I'm asking myself if this function shouldn't be integrated in an OS itself.. It's is an administration task and the OS is there to let you do that at the end: administer and use the resources of your hardware and the data stored in it as well. Or is there a flaw in my thought?

maybe it's not a very frequent task, but I would have needet it times more than e.g. "reset workbench"

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @AmiKit
It says:
we are currently working with a number of software projects which will benefit the AmigaOS 4 users.
Do you believe or not believe?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
@all

not that an answer is of much use, since one can not use Magellan on OS4.x yet AFAIK, but has DOpus the ability to syncronize dirs?

[...]

You may want to check out Cloanto's DirDiff, available for free on Aminet, for that functionality. Great piece of software, even though it's pretty old by now. I use it a lot on OS4. Fast, too, even though it's emulated 68k code.

I wish they would port it to PPC and fix just a few minor glitches related mostly to links.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Thanks! I tried it a while ago and also got the nice mason icon for it. You are right, it really is a fabulous peace of software. Nevertheless DirOpus9 displays the differences in two file listers resulting in being more intuitive and more handy if you are going to manually do some changes instead of having to dig to the directories via workbench..

Anyway it would be really cool if DirDiff could be enhanced and integrated in OS4.1.2

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Now when the new HW and OS is available and the OS4 userbase has the potential to grow, what about the Magellan for OS4? Any status report, please???

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
While waiting, ami603 is looking for help on this project:

http://openamiga.org/?function=viewproject&projectid=20

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
All you who want to syncronize two directories have you tested SyncroMe from os4depot ? Did you like it or hate it ? Did I miss some desired functionality ? (I'm the author of it.)

Btw. Should I advertise more my apps f.ex. making news items or something ?

Edited by TSK on 2008/9/19 15:49:34
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay, this is taking too long.
http://www.gurumeditation.se/press/magellan.html
Almost 4 years to port the software? Seems the project is dead. It would be fair to inform us, at least...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@AmiKit

Well, instead of waiting four more years. It would be nice if ami603 could get some help

This kind of functionality should be in the OS anyway and not be a separate download+buy.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Mmmm, but this is an external project or an internal one ?

I mean when complete this project will be integrated on future AmigaOS 4.x ?

Because if not, i wouldn't see any reason to do that, we have a lot of external (and advanced) project IMHO, at this point why don't port Ambient directly on OS4 and use it ?

Just to clarity, this is only my opinion

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@samo79

You can read up about OpenAmiga here:

http://openamiga.org/?function=viewpage&pageid=11

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Ok just taken from the website:

>>>
Everything that Open Amiga produces shall be done with the intent of some day including it in the main AmigaOS4 distribution made by Hyperion.
>>>

So Hyperion confirmed and accepted to include that ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
Well, instead of waiting four more years. It would be nice if ami603 could get some help

This kind of functionality should be in the OS anyway and not be a separate download+buy.

Well, I understand your point however you compare the uncomparable and bring off-topic discussion here, IMHO.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@AmiKit

Perhaps, but it provides an alternative to just sitting around doing nothing while waiting for something that may never come to pass.

Magellan is/was great indeed, but it grows older by the day. It might just be better to build something ground up that is more suitable to todays needs than trying to bolt stuff onto it that it was never meant to handle.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The "double-click anywhere to bring up lister" should be a native feature of OS4. Or any other OS, really.
Huge time saver and shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Just my opinion.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »