That's a miracle! A first step about a next fully open sourced AmigaOS based on PowerPC platform to grant max compatibility. ..And new drivers and new hardware!! And also full compatibility with Linux PCC.. what's else?
The author of Petunia has later released the same JIT compiler (even with some improvements) under open source licence in UAE
Same author, different jit compiler.
The EUAE jit compiler was written from ground up, he had to take into account of virtual address space, while Petunia lives in same address space as AmigaOS4.1. the EUAE one has uses JIT blocks, that can optimized away, in special conditions, Petunia JIT does not.. If I’m not mistaken.
the Petunia JIT has its own kernel module, not compiled into exec library, it can be that it can work, or not, but no 68K software was written for SMP, the same goes for OS4 software, but then again, I assume OS4 code is lot more clean C code, then OS3 code with a lot mort assembly code, and room for short cuts.
Edited by LiveForIt on 2026/9/29 11:19:43
(NutsAboutAmiga)
Basilisk II for AmigaOS4 AmigaInputAnywhere Excalibur and other tools and apps.
At moment musashi is working at same speed of petunia (EUAE seems to have the same speed since a game is loaded in the same exact time). With this kernel you can choose which emaulation resource you want to use so you can exchange musashi with another one without any problem. But at moment speed is the last of the tasks I'm working on. First there is the stability. And in any case 68k code is always working on core 0 since software is using SysBase->ThisTask that can't work with SMP
Wow, a multi-core ExecSG compatible kernel. I didn't see that coming.
Really nice job @afxgroup.
New RadeonRX drivers are a surprise too.
I'm enjoying watching the progress happening over the last few months...
@samo79
I don't consider Warp3D Nova to be a failure. Both it and the 2D drivers I wrote helped get us this far. I'm very impressed that @kas1e managed to get full mesa3d working via reverse engineering the *_RM.resource to access the GPU.
@Hans More of it Mesa still use your drivers today, because driver from Acube is not yet ready, and that all need to be checked/rechecked if it will offer better speed/functionality.
For now the real missing thing i wish your driver have it 100% guarantee of GART based allocation in return, as for now it sometime depend on fragmentation probably or something else, can return pure VRAM , and so the same run of the same app may give different fps in some places. But dunno if that possible to do at all on os4.
While I am impressed with this kernel, I red a statement from someone involved in Hyperion and they can´t use this kernel for an official release because of legal issues.
This is a little showstopper for me. I hoped that an alternative kernel will solve the "drama" behind the scenes about the current kernel and regarding ports. But it didn´t.
A__P wrote:While I am impressed with this kernel, I red a statement from someone involved in Hyperion and they can´t use this kernel for an official release because of legal issues.
This is a little showstopper for me. I hoped that an alternative kernel will solve the "drama" behind the scenes about the current kernel and regarding ports. But it didn´t.
There is zero reason an open source kernel could not be used legally .... and if it's based on AROS it would carry the APL license which is file level copy left. if it's completely new the author can choose a license that's compatible with a closed operating system while keeping the kernel open. The only reason Hyperion couldn't use it is if they used a developer that had previously worked on ExecSG to work directly on modifications as that could potentially taint it. They could however use a clean room method of original developer documenting behaviour and another developer who has never seen the ExecSG source working on it. or more importantly they can keep their changes private in new files which would not have to be returned.
Pretty sure that Hyperion signed agreement with Trevor not to use competing software including kernels, in exchange for him bailing them out over and over again while letting them get away with crimes.
A__P wrote:@terminills. Hyperion says otherwise. And as trixie said: We don´t know the details of the agreement between Hyperion and Trevor regarding the kernel.
Hyperion has a long history of stretching Open Srouce licensing so I would take their word with a truckload of salt.