Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4)
Re: My AmigaOne X5000 twins - I need some help and advice.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@amiganuts

Quote:
amiganuts wrote:@daveyw

Are there any plans on making it multi core?

There are developers here who can give better answers than me, but I understand it has been a goal for some time.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Yes, work on multi-core support has been going on for some time.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

I will volunteer to be a beta tester on my 5040 and Sam460LE!!!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amiganuts

There is talk about the new kernel in the amiwest 2022 show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFqlMtex0aA

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@amiganuts

I am starting to see a clearer picture here.

As for the sam 460 le with performance, obviously the x5000 will out perform it CPU wise.

I'd be more curious does the sam 460 le play youtube videos straight from the browser, or is one still in need to use AmiTube with it?

Obviously I saw Kasle youtube video, he had two emotion's playing at once, my sam flex hates emotion player as the audio stutters...

But the sam flex I have DV player audio perfect, same with Mick JT mplayer, I can run upto 3 videos with Mick JT mplayer at once.

Basically yes, there might be slight skipping in video but AUDIO plays perfectly, and thats kind of whats more important in an under powered machine as nobody likes crappy audio, but anybody can handle a video frame skip, as these are music videos Im talking aobut, theyre running in the background when Im using other software, so technically I could just use Amiga Amp mp3 player instead sure, but Im making a point here.

QUESTION 1 :

Does your sam 460 le play youtube directly from browser (is it capable?)

QUESTION 2 :

How does AmiCygnix perform on it? is it slow and really laggy or is it improved with those extra 350mhz (im running 800mhz your'e probably at 1.15ghz?)

QUESTION 3 :

How do the QT Programs run on it?

Naturally all the above will run easily I'd suspect on the x5000 with that 2.4ghz cpu, I say naturally as my old powerbook g4 with 1.56ghz cpu can run youtube in the odyssey browser (or is it wayfarer now forget?)

Thank you for your time.

Courtesy of SAM440Flex & Amiga OS4.1 only
Flex is 800mhz
A1000 with Classic 520 Amiga OS3.2.1
AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw

Quote:
Actually OS4.1 only runs on 1 core.

That makes it more like a 5010.

It's unfortunate here that on features like multi core it's like dragging feet. It really comes down to AmigaOS having design flaws that prevent it from being upward compatible with multi cores. The decision by Carl to totally lock up all programs running when only one wants to protect data is now causing us grief. It's easy to look at this in hindsight but I wonder why a specific function wasn't implemented to lock local data? On top of this is allowing and encouraging programs to access system data. So for the past 10 to 15 years and even more there have been attempts at AmigaOS multicore. None are in the hands of the user. I would have expected threads to be implemented at least since it should be done in baby steps. But we still don't have threads yet.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hypex

Haha, so when the Tabor board comes out or that new notebook in the pipeline from Acube, we still can only use a single core? instead of dual or was the notebook planned quad core?

mmmm, seems expensive to support an x5020 / x5040 then if one can only use a single core, haha. :P I see what you did there with the 5010, haha, you are one funny fella.

Courtesy of SAM440Flex & Amiga OS4.1 only
Flex is 800mhz
A1000 with Classic 520 Amiga OS3.2.1
AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gebrochen

Quote:
Haha, so when the Tabor board comes out or that new notebook in the pipeline from Acube, we still can only use a single core?

As it has already been mentioned in this thread, multicore support is being worked on by the kernel team. The first target machines will be the X5000 and the A1222.

AmigaOS was in no way designed for multicore operation, so the task is taking time.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
They have already been working on it. There was a demo of it in some American show, StevenS has it there - but I have never seen a demo of it.

I cannot remember if he mentioned that the next kernel push would allow us to use it whether officially or experimentally.

We need that kernel for a number of reasons and the new elf.library to allow for shared object use and new CLIB2, and the ability to finally debug stuff - at least - on the X5k.

I now have a question which is: for the upcoming kernel release, will I need to physically reflash my microUSB?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:54:32
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:18:51
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Magic

As I said, bring it to the attention of authorities. France is a civilized country that has customer protection laws, and you have every right to defend yourself.

The links on this page may help you:
https://commission.europa.eu/live-work ... -rights-and-complaints_en

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:55:02
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:19:41
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Magic

Additionally, here is a list of national authorities that deal with customer protection. I'd suggest that you contact your local one, explain your problem, and ask for advice/assistance in contacting (and filing a complaint with) the French authority or authorities.

https://www.eba.europa.eu/consumer-cor ... s-for-consumer-protection

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
Additionally, here is a list of national authorities that deal with customer protection.
That doesn't help since magic isn't a resident of an EU country.
But the "Guarantees for faulty goods" information on https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ ... tees-returns/index_en.htm should be enough to understand which rights he has, no matter if he is an EU resident, or a customer from outside of the EU buying something from an EU dealer.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
(deleted double post)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Magic

Sadly, they are bit shady, they list things they don’t have in stock, so it takes for ever to get things,
they have FB page you can use, if they do not play nice.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gebrochen

Quote:

Haha, so when the Tabor board comes out or that new notebook in the pipeline from Acube, we still can only use a single core? instead of dual or was the notebook planned quad core?

Yes only single core. For OS4. Not worth rallying the streets over that one.

The notebook will be quad core, but it's also targeted for Linux users. If any Linux users interested in PowerPC are left. So it will only be by association and a happy accident if OS4 works on it.

Quote:
mmmm, seems expensive to support an x5020 / x5040 then if one can only use a single core, haha. :P I see what you did there with the 5010, haha, you are one funny fella.

Lol. Thanks for noticing. Yeah it is a bit expensive. Likely dual and quad is easier to source so a means to an end. But a T2080 intended for the laptop would have been better. Unfortunately the AmigaOS design [flaws] don't lend it too well to modern OS methods. Why do we still like it?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Magic

If your LEDs operate like the device is switched off and doesn't react to a power button event then it looks like there's an issue with the Lattice MACH XO2 CPLD.

Not sure what bend pins you are talking about. THe only pin headers close to the PCI slots look XMOS related.

@Gebrochen

The powerpc notebook uses the T2080. This is a dual threaded quad core processor. So 4 cores, 8 threads. But NXP doubled nearly all logic for a core. This means that unlike Hyperthreading on a Intel, you could nearly achieve double speed for each core compared to a single thread.
AltiVec is a bit enhanced too but also not fully compatible to an e600 core. There are new instructions but some streaming instructions are not supported anymore.

Anyways, let's start with multicore first on current machines before dreaming about Altivec enhanced multithreaded monsters

Edited by geennaam on 2023/3/13 14:08:10
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4)