Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

clint, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 »
Re: Introducing the Rear Window blog
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Thanks for sharing! I can totally relate to your story as for a long time where I used to live there was a ban on computers with more than 16Kb and later 32Kb of memory. People were smuggling Speccy's and C64's constantly and there is even a text adventure made about this subject called Kontrabant. My C64 was smuggled as well from Graz, Austria with my dad as a main smuggler and it was total surprise for me (C64, not my dad smuggling stuff across the border) Funny times.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@levellord

Quote:
there should be an option to downsample from 44000Khz to lower frequencies

Resampling done and slated for release in the upcoming version 1.4!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

YES! Thanks for that!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dan
Did i understand right, that this is not possible to load up RAW sounds to Rave ? For example i do have 8bit-signed PCM 22050, and the only way to load anything to RAVE, is to choose “all supported formats” which didn't have PCM, but even if i choose “all files” and choose my RAW one, it also didn't load up saying bad-format.

So the question is: is it possible to add to Raw ability to load up Raw sound files ?

Currently, i had to use Audacity , which have a nice entry in the “file” menu called “import Raw Data...” in which you the same have request to select a file, and once you decide one, it brings you a window with filed to fill : Encoding (singed, unsigned, etc.), Byte Order (little or big endian) num of channels, Start Offset, amount to import (in percents, usually 100) and Sample Rate. Then you hit OK and it loads up.

Dunno if it is hard to mimic the same or not so, but just for maybe-todo :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Did i understand right, that this is not possible to load up RAW sounds to Rave?

No, not yet. But it's quite high on the to-do list.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Today's blog post reveals the development background of Rave version 1.4, which has just been released on OS4depot. Enjoy, and have a Happy Christmas, everyone!

Edited by trixie on 2022/12/25 21:18:34
The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie

Quote:

Now, past experience has taught me to be very careful with feature requests and not try to please everyone. Because if you do, the development will soon lose focus and get out of hand.
Moreover, users sometimes end up not using the features they have asked for

How true !

This blog post was really nice to read, and because it's all sane and clean, and because it focused and because now, it all start to be for real interesting : as if you don't lose motivation after first releases, it means Rave can grow up quite well.

Checked the version from os4depot's upload query on my x5000, especially the new Fade in/out presets : it works well and as expected. Fadein/out is the one of the most effects i use everywhere (be it sound or video). Make a feel of something which is polished well. And in the same time was in use of "undo" functionality , which works quite good too.

And i love the logic use of the select when we in the two channels: when marking in the middle you mark both, when at bottom or on top : by one. Something which not everyone will find from start, but i feel there were quite a time spend on making this bug free :)

And, "Active" tab in information also quite cool, no needs to measure with clock anymore. And even "Quite" is managet properly: asking for quit, and saying file wasn't saved, are you still ok ?

Really feels like something very well polished and starting to transform to the best audio editor on os4.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am the one that asked for some sort of timer of how long a process takes. Yes, I am Mikael mentioned in the blog!

And yes, I agree that feature requests from users can be a bad thing. I love Rave and want it to become better and better. Now that I have established a good dialogue with Trixie on Discord, I will honor that. He is a great guy!

My history also includes beta-testing and feature-requesting things for LightWave 3D between 2008-2020. Only one or two of my feature requests got implemented. But there were plenty of beta-testers as well. :)

Current Amiga computers: Vampire V4-SA, Sam460ex, A1-X5000/020
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Nice read on the blog as usual.
I downloaded and tried out the new Rave features.

Not sure I'll use the Activity timing but like you mention it might be useful for bench marking different systems.

I had a 5 second, 8k, 16bit sample that was very low quality and contain lot's of aliasing artifacts, so I thought I would try out the resampling. I resampled it to 22050, then to 44100. It really does improve the quality. Worked amazingly well.
I'm going to take some lower quality piano recordings I made with my cell phone and resample them to improve the quility. Quite a handy feature.

I will definalty use the new fading features. Very useful for sure. The GUI was simple but I did notice one thing that seemed a little unexpected. Having a preset list is very nice and make it very quick and easy to use but I did notice that if I selected a preset, then set the Type or Shape using the gadgets, the selected preset remained highlighted and now it no longer matches the manual settings I just made. Maybe if the values are set manually the preset selection should be un-highlighted or the highlight preset should change to match selected values. A minor thing for sure though.

Step by step Rave continues to get better and better. Nice work!

Ok, here is one of those user requests that your concerned about so take it for what it's worth. Do you plan to add any filtering capabilities. Something like pop or noise reduction, low pass or high pass filtering. I recenlty made some audo recordings that have some white noise "hiss" in them. I was looking for some OS4 audio software that would allow me to filter out some of the noise but couldn't find any. I didn't look at SoX yet and I know it has those capabilities but it's command line only and I haven't sat down and figured out how to use it yet. I think adding some filter plugins to Rave would make it even more outstanding and unique among OS4 audio editing software.

In any case, keep up the good work. Rave is a great addition to the audio editing software library.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Thanks for trying out the new version!

Quote:
And i love the logic use of the select when we in the two channels: when marking in the middle you mark both, when at bottom or on top : by one. Something which not everyone will find from start

They will if they actually read the docs, the Making selections chapter

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Great work !

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Thank you for the update!

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit
Thank you!

@ktadd

Thanks for your interest!

Quote:
I'm going to take some lower quality piano recordings I made with my cell phone and resample them to improve the quality. Quite a handy feature.

Of course it's always better to have a good recording in the first place but if you don't, high-quality upsampling can help a little.

Quote:
I did notice that if I selected a preset, then set the Type or Shape using the gadgets, the selected preset remained highlighted and now it no longer matches the manual settings I just made. Maybe if the values are set manually the preset selection should be un-highlighted or the highlight preset should change to match selected values.

I always try to follow a particular logic when implementing something; the problem is that others may apply their own logic to it Here, I see the preset list more like a selector than an indicator: you click on the preset name and it merely configures the plugin with particular settings.

Quote:
Do you plan to add any filtering capabilities. Something like pop or noise reduction, low pass or high pass filtering.

I most certainly do! I can't promise a dedicated pop/crackle reduction plugin because I don't have any usable DSP code for that, but I'm pretty confident about lowpass/highpass/bandpass filters.

The year 2023 will see more plugin development, and the plugins will finally become external modules. At the moment I keep them compiled in because the plugin framework is still shaping up. It's easier for me to change things within the main program than rewrite and recompile a dozen separate modules.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
So the question is: is it possible to add to Raw ability to load up Raw sound files?

I have now slated raw support for Rave version 1.6, to be released in February or March. There will be a smaller update in between coming out in January.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

Cool, hope you will found time to implement the pause button into the transport bar

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

Version 1.5 is up on os4depot.net. In this release you'll find:

- A new function in the Process menu: "Reverse".
- A new function in the Edit menu: "Paste at".
- A new function in the Edit menu: "Insert Silence".
- A user-defined amount of silence can also be inserted when creating a new project.
- Updated documentation.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Rave just keeps getting better and better!
Keep this up and I'll have to donate again.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Thank you for the update!

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:
Keep this up and I'll have to donate again.

I'm sure you will

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
Version 1.5 is up on os4depot.net. In this release you'll find:
- A new function in the Process menu: "Reverse".

I've been playing with this new "Reverse" feature trying to find satanic verses when playing songs backwards. Haven't found any yet.

I did run into one issue where the bitrate was changed to 32k when I saved the file.

I loaded a song with a variable bitrate.
I then reversed the waveform.
At this point the save button is activated in the toolbar.
I clicked it and the waveform was saved over the original without warning, which suprised me a bit.
On playback I noticed that the quality had been degraded a lot.
Checking the bitrate I saw that it had been changed to 32k.

Note: This also occurs with other feature like fade, etc.

I also noticed that a 192k fixed bitrate song was reduced to 125k after saving.
Would it be possible to save at the original bitrate by default?

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 »