Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Amiwest 2022. Any OS4 announcements expected?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

Quote:
There should be a public demo of ExecMP at the A-Eon booth, according to a slide.

Is ExecMP the secret name of of the kernel now revealed? Exec Multi-Processing? I tried to look up this ExecMP and got nothing back. So it must still be a secret nobody is talking about yet on the forums. The only thing I found is a secret report from the CIA about the cost of an Amiga being a secret.

https://fas.org/blogs/secrecy/2014/09/amiga-cost/

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Was there a SSolie presentation or any AOS4/AEON keynote?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni
Yeah, SSolie just summorize what were done on the kernel front (most of which were done in first half of year), in general nothing interesting as it not ready. There were some words about "many fixes in uboot", but dunno about what they says, uboot which i have (beta one), just contain the fixes other devs do (not amiga ones), and which were used to compile our new version, which may sounds like it amiga devs do those fixes, but it just Ssolie take them from the repo and compile in :) That good to have for sure, as it seems fixes some USB issues, but maybe by " a lot of fixes" they mean something else about which i not aware.

Then Trevor says same as on Amiga37 : probabaly in jan/mart of 2023 Tabor will be produced by Acube with just about 200 or so boards at first run, but as we all remember dates and hopes mean nothing, so in general also not very interesting.

Then Mattew says about Enhancer and stuff, that in next 6-9 month their distro based on os4.1 should be ready, and that NovaBridge will avail soon to be buyed separately. This things in which i belive for sure, as despite of anything Mattew with programmers deliver.

Hans were talking too, but he didn't talk about 2D/3D stuff sadly, but about his new projects like Zita (some sync and mounter tools). I wasn't much interesting in those tools, so didn't watch it carefull, maybe something interesting was about too.

And, i do not know if i understand correctly what Mattew says, that there for next enhancer update 2.3, will be (or already?) some heavy work done on Warp3DNova, but i not aware about and didn't see any new betas, so maybe i falsely understand it, and he mean that heavy work was done on warp3dnova before (which users already have) dunno.. There hope Hans can clear this part about. Maybe it's about some heavy rewrite to gain more speed ? (at least i hope for).

There were some fairly tales about LibreOffice and whatever else, but those things is just in no way important anymore with such a speed of delivering, meaning even if anything will be out, it will have the same problems as TimberWolf : no updates and fixes after. So that one i don't hold the hope for of course.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I still have hopes for LibreOffice, even if it is an older version and one time port. I speak for myself, and I don't think we need all components from the LibreOffice package and Writer and Calc will do, maybe Impress as well. At current state, there is no satisfying native word utility on the AOS4 and LibreOffice Writer (one time port) could cover this spot, for some time. Cinnamon writer is good for what it is, but unstable while anything more complex is not possible with it. Ignition is also good and I start using it a lot lately, and found out how much it is actually missing comparing it to LibreOffice Calc. Not sure if this is something I am not able to figure out how to use in Ignition, but simple stuff like merging cells, full color palette for coloring cells (instead of 8 colors), proper text aligning and more. I don't want to ramble much more, but any incarnation of couple of programs from the LibreOffice would be great and comparing to the TimberWolf, it would not need constant update like the browser need.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Thanks for the summary. UBoot discussed, any mention of X1000 cfe?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
X1000.. Lower priority than a1222,

They found the cfe source code again, but need to figure out how to build it again.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

Again?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni
Quote:

Thanks for the summary. UBoot discussed, any mention of X1000 cfe?

Only repeat what they say year ago : they found sources of it. But then, i feel from their talk, they quite offten says about x1000 as "old". While in the same time some support sam460, which even if it new, worse than X1000.

I don't know from who all of this coming, but surely mark x1000 as "old" is kind of too much for amigang market. And CFE they only discuss in terms of that crap multicore support (it's still very unclear, why they need to touch CFE and Uboot at all, Linux do support multicore fine without touching CFE and Uboot, so i fear for some hack-solutions which only will make it worse for all of us). But for sure i didn't heard anything about "we will add RadeonRX support in CFE once it rebuild".

And for me those talks like "we found sources, but then they old and use old system to build, i need to install old tools" looks a bit too lame :) It's problem for 1 day to install all what need if one want to work for real and not provide excuses :) But, things as they are..

Edited by kas1e on 2022/10/24 18:39:44
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@levellord

What if the time and money spent on Libre Office had gone into Cinammon and Ignition instead? In the early days of OS4 we were told Linux ports were to get more software on Amiga in a shorter timeframe because native stuff took longer to write. It's already been 6 years and still no Libre while native software that already exsisted was overlooked.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob

Honestly, anything will work for me and I would appreciate more Amiga native stuff if this is possible. I like how Cinnamon and Ignition feel, and find working with them is a pleasant experience (minus crashes). I wish I can help with any of the projects but since I am not a coder, I can donate monies to what I like here and there and just patiently wait for new release or new project. Like everyone else, we all wait for next AmiWest (or any other gathering) to get updates and news and it feels like time has stopped for many great projects. Why I suggested those LibreOffice components was b/c those felt more complete comparing to the native stuff, but if development is abandoned, than I can work with what we have.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@levellord

Cinnamon is nice, but development has been pretty slow and there is some basic things missing still. But it is very nice to use.

I think that Ignition is pretty marvellous. There is quite many mathematcical functions, direct connection to database is good idea. What I probably missing most (as engineer), is complete x-y graphs.

In excel-world many ppl uses excel as database and sooner or later it breaks...

Timberwolf was pretty much too slow on my machine. How fast would be libre office?

And how about QT and Calligra? Never tested, just idea... probably needs more than just QT and probably not so fast.

Edit: Calligra seems to need some kdelibs... better forget :)

Peg2 1GHz G4, 1Gb mem, Radeon 9250
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Yeah, SSolie just summorize what were done on the kernel front (most of which were done in first half of year), in general nothing interesting as it not ready. There were some words about "many fixes in uboot", but dunno about what they says, uboot which i have (beta one), just contain the fixes other devs do (not amiga ones), and which were used to compile our new version, which may sounds like it amiga devs do those fixes, but it just Ssolie take them from the repo and compile in :) That good to have for sure, as it seems fixes some USB issues, but maybe by " a lot of fixes" they mean something else about which i not aware.

The multi-core kernel booting to Workbench is a big milestone, even if it's still rather crash-prone. I thought that would be the big news.

Quote:
And, i do not know if i understand correctly what Mattew says, that there for next enhancer update 2.3, will be (or already?) some heavy work done on Warp3DNova, but i not aware about and didn't see any new betas, so maybe i falsely understand it, and he mean that heavy work was done on warp3dnova before (which users already have) dunno.. There hope Hans can clear this part about. Maybe it's about some heavy rewrite to gain more speed ? (at least i hope for).

I didn't hear what Matthew said, but you have access to the latest betas. So no surprises coming for you. Sorry.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
NovaBridge is available now on AMIStore.

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mlehto

I donated few days ago to the developed of Cinnamon Writer and he responded that new version is in progress. He did offer me to test it out, but for OSX. I've replied back to him and asked about the AOS version: will there be new version for Amiga, and awaiting his response, I'll confirm back with his reply.

While I work daily in excel, I despise it, pretty much like any ms product, it's bloated garbage with horrible GUI and for my personal use, my go to program is Calc. Only thing that bothers me is a flat icons they are using, inspired by ms' excel. Luckily that can be changed.

I would think that LibreOffice would be faster than TimberWolf. Don't forget that modern-ish browsers are resource hungry and will grab as much as they can on the slower system. Writer and Calc would be working just fine, pretty sure of it since they run just fine on my Linux Lite notebook Acer Aspire D150.

Funny thing that you mentioned Calligra, I was just looking into it couple of days ago, but that can't be ported since it is made by KDE team which means it probably using their KDE packages and libs (as you mentioned as well).

Anyway, I completely missed to ask Trevor during the AmiWest on the status of LibreOffice... Well, there is always another year :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
kas1e wrote:
Quote:
Hans were talking too, but he didn't talk about 2D/3D stuff sadly, but about his new projects like Zita (some sync and mounter tools). I wasn't much interesting in those tools, so didn't watch it carefull, maybe something interesting was about too.

For those who are interested, you can watch my presentation and/or read a summary here.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
tekmage wrote:NovaBridge is available now on AMIStore.

this is great news!

I wonder if it will work also on Sam440ep-flex or even AmigaOne XE ( especially on XE is big problem with Warp3D-SI ).

Are there some more info about it? Speed, compatibility?
there is very short http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=NovaBridge
and there https://keasigmadelta.com/blog/novabri ... bility-amiwest-2021-talk/ a little bit old

For sure it is a must-have on my X1000 ( and Sam440ep-flex, if it is compatible ) and on other computers - especially XE - I will test and see.

Edited by sailor on 2022/10/27 9:05:16
AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)