Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »
Re: Future AmigaOS
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rogue

Congrats on your 100th post

I can wholeheartedly say that we at the Amigans.net team are very glad you and your brother post here.

Thanks!

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: ACK proven untrustworthy
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
I hate to bemoan the issue, but let's just say and admit that, this OS isn't for everybody, and I guess that includes you, keisangi.

No, it definitely isn't. It wasn't intended as such either, not yet at any rate.

Quote:
Congrats, 100 posts on the BEST Amiga website!!!!!!!!

Heh, tempus fugit

Quote:
Also, to you and all of the other AOS4.x developers, a solemn "thank you".

I think I speak for all the OS 4 team when I say "you're welcome" :)

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Well, certainly less armchair lawyers here

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue + all

Quote:
The old system will run in its own address space as a separate task.

I was thinking one day if it's possible to do it something like this way. This sounds good.

I think some of keisangis points are still valid. You can't use GeForce but you can still get Radeon card and use OpenGL with it. But you can't buy or download any filesystem supporting big files at the moment. I think joerg removed SFS2 from his website because of big bugs in it (or something like that). So in a common users point of view one can't use big files. (But I don't know why people would need big files support. Only some image files need it.)

Quote:
I can wholeheartedly say that we at the Amigans.net team are very glad you and your brother post here.

I'm glad because of that too.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
But you can't buy or download any filesystem supporting big files at the moment. I think joerg removed SFS2 from his website because of big bugs in it (or something like that).
Not really big bugs, it doesn't destroy data or something like that, "just" one or two of the 64 bit packets not working correctly. For example AmiDVD doesn't get the correct file size of an image > 4 GB if it's on a SFS2 partition. But that made it quite useless ...
Adding a SFS2 workaround in AmiDVD wouldn't have been a problem, but that doesn't help for other software.

Since I didn't have free HD space for a large enough SFS2 test partition, just by checking the sources I couldn't find what's wrong, and there was next to no interrest from developers anyway (except for my own software AFAIK lha, DvPlayer and diskimage.device are the only AmigaOS programs which support files > 4 GB, and as long as there is no software which supports large files a dos.library and file system which does is useless) I removed it from my homepage.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

I think some of keisangis points are still valid.

indeed they're ;)
thanks for recognizing that .. rogue himself recognized they were..

it's just ppl don't like my way of pointing where the wound is, where it hurts.. and say " this is a wound and it hurts" ..

some ppl are so happy to see os4 being developed that they want to protect it's developers from criticisms.. so anyone that say something about it is being turned into the bad guy ;)

I've just pointed where it hurts and say that particular point should get updated /corrected. it's not lies or intentional bullying or whatever.. it's true os4 will need what i spoke about.. and the sooner the better. rogue said few times already this is planned for later updates already.. i'm just eager to see thoses updates comming so i could actualy use os4.

ssolie: removed "blind followers" insult

but for the record let me say i don't use windows at all. i use linux since almost 10years now .. since i've sold my a4k ppc in fact .. because i couldn't be bothered anymore with all the crashs in particular. i've owned few amiga, my two main config were an A1200 ppc /bvision and that a4k ppc/ cybervision with UW scsi and all.. i know what i'm talking about ;)
and now i have that amigaone here.. but it's just gathering dust.. i'm waiting for something really appealing to dig it out. i don't see that coming real soon, but hey .. there's still hopes ;)
and it doesn't cost me anything too keep it .. just in case ..

Edited by ssolie on 2007/8/14 18:40:54
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

i understand your point .. it's true.. but then if everyone wait for the other nothing will move forward.

i think programs will get updated to support large files when the OS itself (meaning the Filesystem too) will provide support for it.

waiting for software to support large files when the filesystem itself doesn't even support it isn't gonna work..

someone need to implement this into the OS & Filesystem, and only then programmers will eventually build their progs accordingly, imho.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

PFTP will support 4Gb. It uses the new APIs exclusively.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@keisangi

Quote:
i think programs will get updated to support large files when the OS itself (meaning the Filesystem too) will provide support for it.
Adding support for files > 4 GB in FFS wouldn't make any sense, even by using workarounds (4 KB, 8 KB, or even larger blocks) for one of it's major problems it's not usable for files which are only few 100 MB, let alone files of several GB.

FFS was written for floppy disks, using it for something much larger, for which it was never intended, does work after several minor changes (mostly in kickstart 1.x, later changes like the DirCache modes made it even worse), but they only made it usable on large partitions, not for large files nor for directories with a lot of entries.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Since I didn't have free HD space for a large enough SFS2 test partition

Hard drives are cheap nowadays you know !

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
@joerg

Quote:
Since I didn't have free HD space for a large enough SFS2 test partition

Hard drives are cheap nowadays you know !
The space was used by partitions using another file system which supports large files without any problems, I don't need SFS2 for that

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

so what ? now you say me the only filesystem that support large file on amiga works best with floppies and where designed just for floppies and hard disk support is a hack?

man i don't see the situation about the amiga improving with statements like that.. sorry to say. i don't want to mock you or anything like that of course, but i'm saying this is not looking anybetter for the amiga ..

i hope someone will design a real filesystem for use with nowdays standards.
poor amiga.. i think now it is 10 years above it's time , in contrast with when it was 10years ahead of it's time as an OS.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

So, are we to assume that this "other" filesystem is non-amiga, or NDA?

How is the >4GB support for filesystems like EXT2/3 for example? Could that be ported over to Amiga for native use?

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@keisangi

Quote:

keisangi wrote:
so what ? now you say me the only filesystem that support large file on amiga works best with floppies and where designed just for floppies and hard disk support is a hack?

No. He said FFS was designed for floppies and the subsequent changes to make it work with hard disks were a hack.

FFS does not, and will not ever support files > 4Gb.

SFS2 does, but it had a bug and joerg removed it from his site. It may or may not be fixed in the future.

There is another filesystem for OS4 which supports large files which is better than both FFS and SFS, which will be released when its done (TM).

In the meantime, OS4's DOS has been updated to provide an API which can cope with large files. The filesystem is the last piece of the puzzle, and it is being worked on.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
keisangi wrote:

Hi keisangi,

So, despite knowing where AOS is from, and where it IS now, and how it got here, you've come here to insult the years and years of yet-to-be paid for labour by a most dedicated group of very (dare I say extremely?) talented programmers, who COULD HAVE been doing (ANY) other things than wasting their time doing this.....

If they don't write a single extra line of source code, you are showing how totally ungrateful one human could be to another for breaking their backs to give something, to try to live the dream!

Go post elsewhere, please!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Atheist

He still just doesn't get "It's not what you say, it's how you say it".

So let's just accept that he doesn't and move on. No need to dwell on that issue here. Use the PM function if you want to explain it to him.

@All
No more posts on keisangi's posting style in this thread please. Further moderation in this thread will be done without warning and without notification.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Conclusion of my Amigans.net "see if I like it" experiment:

Since nearly every attempt I make at a polite post gets misinterpreted by the moderator(s) as some weird way of trolling, not to mention that I feel like I have been treated as a troll until proven innocent, I don't expect to visit Amigans.net much more. I simply don't seem to be compatible with Amigans.net .

(Please note that I'm not saying who is at fault - maybe it's my fault, but if so I tried my best & it apparently was not good enough.)

I still wish to keep my account, and might make posts in the future, but I won't be treating it as a place for general chat.

Please do NOT publically reply to this post, as I don't expect anything good would come from it.

edit: It was entirely coincidental that I made this post after origin's. Please do NOT construe any causal relationship, it was just accidental.

Edited by ChrisH on 2007/8/14 21:36:09
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Thats a shame Chris as you probably are the instigator of the longest thread here on Amigans.net so far !!

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

oops .. sorry
i didn't notice you said FFS.. i thought you were speaking of SFS.
my apologies. I hope SFS2 problems will get worked on.
and the new filesystem xeron was speaking about will be out soonish..the more the merier.
it will be a pleasure to remove the "no large file support on amiga" from the list.

@moderators

i'm also very surprised about the reaction of moderators so far.
i think i owe them (half) an apology too.
cause i was moderated few other times in the past on this site.
it wasn't because of grave insults or threats or other untolerable things like that, but rather because my posts didn't kind of pleased some ppl at that time it seemed to me.
but i see an improvement here, and it's nice to see.

@rogue and tetisoft and other AmigaOS devs

would it be possible to think about having a dual solution maybe ?
i'm explaining myself:
having 2 kernels, one would be the actual one where os3.x API compatibility is kept and thus making everyone wanting that hapy.
and another one, WIP kernel supporting memory protection, utf8 and all the things you said are planned for future releases? (i understand no apps would currently use it, so no apps could be launched at all)
so users would be able to choose which kernel they wish to use.
a simple matter of rebooting to enable a kernel or another.
that would also permit developer to work with it to build apps based on the new/updated API. i realize now that i'm writing that that it might not be possible afterall, cause lots of other system components would need to get udated too .. humm too bad .. well, i guess i'm back waiting for next releases then.

i hope to see good progress on AmigaOS API soon, keep up the good work. i'll be looking for it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

I wouldn't call it a sandbox, rather a virtual environment.

Sounds kinda like the early plans for OS5.

Regardless, thanks for your (and the other programmers) continued efforts!

Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »