Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
AmigaOS 3.2 for all Classic Amigas released and available
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi everyone,

AmigaOS 3.2 released today!

https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 3.2 for all Classic Amigas released and available
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Though it seems that none of the outlets have it in stock?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
RetroPassion has AmigaOS 3.2 for sale here:

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/product-category/amigaos32/

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
So obviously some stuff is backported from OS4, but there are new features there too - will these come to OS4?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there a feature list?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There is a big list of changes here:
https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com ... as-released-and-available

As someone who has spent time and energy on AmigaOS 4, I have to wonder what kind of commitment Hyperion really has to the NG side. Clearly they have spent a good deal of time on Classic to get this update done. I also suspect that this Classic release might make some real money for them given the amount of hardware out there.

Just seems like a step sideways to me but that's just my opinion.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris, Techimage

Everything looks like this: ppls work as it happens always with Hyperion for free making OS3.2. They have access to some (all?) OS4 source code as well from Hyperion. So they do what they want to do and once they did, Hyperion release it and Ben take all the money as always which will be spent on layers attacks and nothing else, as always :)

OS4 developers may have access to OS3.2 changes as well, of course, but as there currently almost no _really_ active ones (just a few), none of them will backport any new and good stuff if it happens on OS3.2 to OS4 back.

For example, there if I remember right one of the good features in OS3.2 is that they fixed an issue from "intuition" when you trying to change screen mode, and intuition can't cope with saying "can't restart balbala", and that because some bad apps blocking it with lockpubscreen() or something. If I remember reading changes in OS3.2 well some time ago, they deal with it in some good manner, while for OS4 still not. While there were BZ about years ago, and it didn't look like something hard to deal with while looks pretty important from the user's side, but wasn't done.

Simple there more active devs now willing to work for free on OS3.2, than on OS4. For example, on OS4 no one touches the workbench ever. No single real improvements in years. Why? Because no one probably wishes to do it for free and working on what they wish. And not sure anyone wants to work with Ben as it is known from the past he can just easily not pay and you will be on your own after work done.

But doesn't not matter what i will buy OS3.2 too, not because i want to help Ben in his dirty tactcs, but because to help ppls working on OS3.2 by showing that their work apprecated. Sadly they will have nothing back for their work, but only pleasure and satisfaction.

Edited by kas1e on 2021/5/15 18:05:23
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Same principle as with online webcam girls.
Guys go to there, pay, not for model or for support one of biggest industries, but only to take pleasure and satisfaction back.

Weird human race.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Congrats to all girls and boys involved!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
I understand the sentiment behind buying this, but if the developers are not going to get any money from it, then I'd rather thank them instead of stuffing Ben's pockets with money.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BSzili

I bet most of that is going to pay of financial depth, how many years have they fighting in legal system? now? No doubt has it cost a lot of money, a lot this should have been solved a long time ago, if people were not stubborn assholes. Its disappointing but at end of day, the developers and beta testers who are willing to put time and energy into developing for Hyperion know things are. I hope a little bit of money is set aside on supporting essentials (driver development).

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
A question for the OS3.2 volunteer developers, who presumably also have access to the OS4 Repository:

FORMAT LONGNAMES (OS3.2)

In the OS4.x and Enhancer Software Format V54.1 and V46.11 system command this is:

FORMAT LONGNAME (OS4 & Enhancer Software)

LIST GROUP (OS3.2)

In the OS4.x and Enhancer Software List V54.7 and V46.7 system command this is:

LIST GROUPS (OS4 & Enhancer Software)

Is it better to keep things the same as much as possible across OS4 and OS3 ?

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BSzili
Quote:

I understand the sentiment behind buying this, but if the developers are not going to get any money from it, then I'd rather thank them instead of stuffing Ben's pockets with money.

The only way to get physical OS3.2, for now, is to buy it from Hyperion, which currently just a Ben. And we can do nothing about it while there are volunteers willing to work for free for any of reasons. I am sure most of them want to have someone with more decent morale who will be the owner of OS3 and OS4, but we have our Ben.

Anyway, the work done on OS3.2 done by good developers, testers, and users (i know for real that Mason and Olaf involved who doing stuff for OS4 as well), with real labor of love, which in today's world's realms happens less and less. And I just want to have that CD even if I probably never will install it or will just install it over EUAE on my X5000 just to see how it all looks like.

Resized Image

And at least amiga dealers also will have something on sales, those ones also worthy of support. I buy my CD today from https://www.retropassion.co.uk/... Let's hope now that Ben will send those CDs to them, and not grabbing money from them back, and create funny stories where explain why he can't send them all CDs :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
an 'official' update to my favourite OS is always great news whether that by 68k or PPC!

I've ordererd mine from retrorewind.ca they said they are expecting stock next week and will be selling the CD & phycial roms/disks too

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I would like to invite you all on a live presentation of AmigaOS 3.2 this Saturday at 6pm CET (5pm GMT+1) on https://www.twitch.tv/walkerogr/schedule . On my aid, Mr. Ignacio Gully will co-host, who is part of the development team which gave us AmigaOS 3.2.

Together we will show you the new awesome features of AmigaOS 3.2, the installation process and will answer your questions. Come join us and let’s celebrate this new release.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Edit: Stop endorsing piracy on amigans.net

Edited by orgin on 2021/5/20 7:19:25
1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

imo it should be the same accross platforms.
Transition from classic to NG would be even easier.

i for one would pull my hair after the change understanding why the same command doesn't work anymore (or people working cross platform)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

I fully agree.

We have now changed our Format command to maintain compatiblity:

54.12 (18.05.2021)
- Added NOLN=NOLONGNAME=NOLONGNAMES/S switch option. [main.c]
- Bumped revision to follow V46.12 build.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

A bit OT... Do you know if it matters which AmigaOs version you buy? If i buy 4.1 Classic, will that be the same if i had paid for 4.1 for X5000? As for the money going back into development for 4.1?

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero

great stuff & thanks for setting it up

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »