Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Amiga fails to deliver cash, loses naming rights to Kent arena
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

This comes as no surprise to me really. I did kind of hope the deal would go through but as soon as I saw that Amiga Inc were haggling over who will have control of other sponsors I thought they were trying to find a face saving way out.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@JeffShepherd

Actually, If I'm not mistaken, it is a typical bone of contention in such things, as those who have named the venue don't want their direct competitors advertising in "their space", so to speak (after all, they did pay for it, in their view). As I remember, the only contention on that issue was how much control Amiga would have had.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

Removed today.
Rest your mouse over the "news" links and you'll see they have deleted other news. (missing numbers).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@number6

We have deleted other news items? you sure? I can't think of any news items we have deleted. Couldn't understand why we would. I have done as you suggested, and I can find no missing numbers.

The only discrepancy in numbers I can find on the front page occurs because the news items are posted in different catagories.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I think he is refering to amiga.com news articles

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Its been removed in the last day or so. I checked the site on the day the news of the deal collapse was released and it was still there.

Proves there is some update of the site going on.

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

Sorry Mikey. I gave you the wrong impression by my short reply to Steve. I should have included his quote.

ssolie:
Quote:
I don't see any mention of the Kent Arena news on www.amiga.com but I don't remember if it was ever there.

I responded:
Quote:
Removed today.
Rest your mouse over the "news" links and you'll see they have deleted other news. (missing numbers).

@all

The article is still in google cache, further proving the point that is was there prior to yesterday.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Anybody

Can the city of Kent sue Amiga Inc. for breach of contract?

It has put a strain on their financial situation in regards to building the stadium.

A certain tattle-tale from another website might want to inform them that there's a person with deep pockets in the company that could be forced to "pay the piper" if they take them to court....

Sure would help Hyperion if Amiga Inc. (d.) was forced to close their doors over a $10 mil. lawsuit.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

By losing the naming rights Amiga has already received their due.

I mean really! Such hatred over a situation that you obviously don't know much about!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@JeffShepherd

Actually, If I'm not mistaken, it is a typical bone of contention in such things, as those who have named the venue don't want their direct competitors advertising in "their space", so to speak (after all, they did pay for it, in their view). As I remember, the only contention on that issue was how much control Amiga would have had.

According to the city not only did Amiga try to reduce the intial payment on the agreement they had but also tried to then have veto power on any technology related advertiser, competitor or no. These were late additional demands to pay less than promised and to have this broad reaching control. I.E. They'd be able to veto NEC monitor ads, HP printer ads and the like if they had had their way. And it was quite late in the game to all of a sudden come up with these desired changes. It seemed hardly fair to do to Kent.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@Atheist

By losing the naming rights Amiga has already received their due.

I mean really! Such hatred over a situation that you obviously don't know much about!

You assume they ever planned to follow through #1. Thats unclear.

Beyond that state funding was approved after the bolstering news that Amiga was going to provide $10 million total. And the city was relying on these funds and now will have to cover the difference.

Atheist may not say things nicely in regard to this, but Kent certainly seems to be the victim here and the one worthy of sympathy IMO.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@fairlanefastbck

Can the name be dragged through the mire any further ? It's getting a reputation as the "Swamp Thing".

Perhaps thats the answer...

Swampy500

Controlled by SwampyOS v.1:00

It'll be Os4 of course... Just rebadged.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@fairlanefastbck

We also don't know why Amiga let it go. Kent changed their demands after reporters started crowing about past difficulties. It has been at least strongly implied that someone on another Amiga-related site deliberately put those journalists onto AI's past troubles. We don't know the motives behind that either. In the end, Kent reacted to incomplete reporting by upping the ante, and Amiga reacted to Kent's actions by bowing out (rather poorly, mind you), but Kent is not entirely innocent there.

Atheist's posting seemed related, not to the Kent deal, but to his displeasure over the lawsuits between AI and Hyperion. In fact, it seemed almost vengeful in tone, which would be inappropriate given that we still do not know what or who precipitated the need for law suits in the first place.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

I would have thought though that because of the amount of money involved in the Kent deal that due diligence would have been carried out and therefore Amiga Incs past troubles would have come to light.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@fairlanefastbck

We also don't know why Amiga let it go. Kent changed their demands after reporters started crowing about past difficulties. It has been at least strongly implied that someone on another Amiga-related site deliberately put those journalists onto AI's past troubles. We don't know the motives behind that either. In the end, Kent reacted to incomplete reporting by upping the ante, and Amiga reacted to Kent's actions by bowing out (rather poorly, mind you), but Kent is not entirely innocent there.

Atheist's posting seemed related, not to the Kent deal, but to his displeasure over the lawsuits between AI and Hyperion. In fact, it seemed almost vengeful in tone, which would be inappropriate given that we still do not know what or who precipitated the need for law suits in the first place.

Kent's only demand change they removed when Amiga resisted. When the demand to pay early was removed the original deal was then what they were working with again. That deal was fine by Amiga when they entered it and they were obligated to make good on the original deal. Also Bill McEwen himself originally indicated in a Kent Reporter article that they would meet the early demand anyway! :(

The demand to pay early is entirely understandable given what came to light, not just the past troubles, but the current office being two people strewn with cardboard boxes and old equipment etc.

What was incomplete about the reporting in your view? If you read the articles (did you read them all ?) there was also Kent finding out about the technology advertising demand from Amiga from a news reporter rather than Amiga contacting Kent directly. The only demands left on the table after the orginal agreement were Amiga's, #1 we want to pay less than agreed upfront. #2, we must approve any technology advertiser of any type.

Kent's mistake was a lack of due diligence in the face of a recommendation that came from the Thunderbirds on Amiga's behalf. They lacked responsibility to their citizens to protect the interests of the city IMO but in regard to Amiga itself they did nothing wrong that I can see.

As for a person on another board, the original press conference was sprinkled with some very important mis-representations IMO (Amiga is the 3rd most recognized brand in Europe for one). Bill backpeddled under reporter pressure later. But the person(s) who clued in the media to this did a service to truth in general IMO.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@fairlanefastbck

Who was it that was behind first, ?partnering? with Amiga even up to the point of taking their money?then doing no work; then later, under different corporate identity, causing Amiga lots and lots of trouble that was not only unnecessary, but also unfounded, both publicly and financially, therefore being the prime mover in causing Amiga's troubles, and are they also linked to the revelations of late? If so, were their motives really ?truth? (HAH! Yeah, right!!), or just to cause Amiga more trouble and embarrassment?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@fairlanefastbck

Who was it that was behind first, ?partnering? with Amiga even up to the point of taking their money?then doing no work; then later, under different corporate identity, causing Amiga lots and lots of trouble that was not only unnecessary, but also unfounded, both publicly and financially, therefore being the prime mover in causing Amiga's troubles, and are they also linked to the revelations of late? If so, were their motives really ?truth? (HAH! Yeah, right!!), or just to cause Amiga more trouble and embarrassment?

In what way has this entity been "linked to the revelations of late"? By whom? By you? If not by you how do you know its even true?

Are you publicly accusing Thendic/Genesi or publicly accusing someone else?

Rich Woods has been pretty public that he contacted Kent and the media. But that person I'm not aware of having multiple corporate identities.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@fairlanefastbck

Who was it that was behind first, ?partnering? with Amiga even up to the point of taking their money?then doing no work; then later, under different corporate identity, causing Amiga lots and lots of trouble that was not only unnecessary, but also unfounded, both publicly and financially, therefore being the prime mover in causing Amiga's troubles, and are they also linked to the revelations of late?

I think you are off-topic with this. If someone tells a newspaper the full truth about Amiga Inc and their history of troubles, then I don't care about the motives at all. But it is important that the peoples at the city of Kent get the FULL information about Amiga Inc instead of only believing the unrealistic talk of McEwen.
I also sent some links and a few comments to a journalist in response to an article about Amiga Inc. Some things in the article were not correct, so I helped him to gather more information about the history of Amiga Inc. I think others did as well. I don't think it is necessary to start conspiracy theories about other companies trying to badmouth Amiga Inc. There is no need to badmouth them or twist anything, when everything is there and openly disclosed in the public already.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@fairlanefastbck

We also don't know why Amiga let it go.

If there were some honourable reasons behind it, or if there would be an explanation which would help restoring their reputation (did they ever have a good one?), then we would already know about it.
Instead, McEwen did not react to phone calls from the city of Kent and didn't comment to calls from journalists. Maybe he is embarrassed about the situation because Pentti Kouri who is the real boss refused the payments.
McEwen should consider to change the job, it does not seem he is very talented at managing a company. Maybe he should start to lecture at universities. Gary Hare did the same. Maybe McEwen could apply for a lecturer position in marketing?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@fairlanefastbck

So, as long as the misplaced revenge you and others here seek is exacted on someone, you really don't care what kind of cretin the exposing instrument actually is, do you?

All Rich Woods does is embarrasses people and causes them harm. He doesn't actually end up doing any good for anyone because no good ever comes out of it. And no, revenge is not something good. He's not trying to do good for anyone, but only digging up dirt on people and exposing it?to no good purpose at all. He might think of himself as some sort of arbiter of good and evil, but until he digs into his own past and publicly exposes his own dirt for all to see I will not be a fan of his.

As to whether he is this other entity's puppet, I think it is quite likely that, wittingly or otherwise, he is doing that other entity's bidding quite nicely.

And yes, that other entity has been under multiple corporate identities. I can count at least three?and that is just off the top of my head.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »