Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »
Re: Introducing the Rear Window blog
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
My new blog post ]shares the latest about the development of the Rave audio editor. Happy reading!

Thanks for sharing your progress. My not be as much as you expected, but it looks like you've made good progress to me. Take your time and when your ready for testing let us know. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Again a great and detailed blogpost Trixie!!

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to the first (beta) releases..

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Nice reading, as always

A few questions. Can I hear a sound when clicking a file, not just clicking the "Play" button?
Could your requester be a replacement in the operating system?
I am asking because I saw, on the Hyperion forum, a request to create a requester with the option of previewing photos / images (yours "previewing" a sound). Is it possible that you implement such a function in your requester and make it the alternative choice in the system?
The last one The icons are not Mason's, right? It looks a bit inconistent with the system.

Anyway, can't wait to try it out.

BTW. The logo is very nice.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mr2

Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Can I hear a sound when clicking a file, not just clicking the "Play" button?

This is what the "Auto" checkbox is meant for: when checked, the sound will be previewed just like you describe. But as I wrote in the text, audio preview is going to be implemented at a later point.

Quote:
Could your requester be a replacement in the operating system?

I'm not ruling that out, but any such endeavour will steal my development time, so at this moment the answer is no My top priority is Rave.

Quote:
The icons are not Mason's, right?

You mean the toolbar images? No, they have been licensed from icondrawer.com. The main reason is that Mason's AISS currently only gives you 24x24-pixel images, making them a bit too small for 4K displays.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@trixie
Awesome update and text as always. Nice to read.
What I would like on next posts is programming decisions you took on such big project, i.e. why did you choose to create modules and how you implemented them, do you split the project in multiple files or develop on big single file, what tools do you use for debugging or find memory leaks, and how?

Things like that might be more technical, but for sure can inspire developers to start working in a different way. They don't have to have a lot of details, but describe the paths and the decisions you took, the Pros and Cons. Those who want to go deep, either they will search for more details or will contact you. But at least your posts will initiate them to think differently, or at least see a different approach and evaluate if this something they would like to do or not.

Thank you for updating your blog with interesting articles.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Do you plan to add some funtions like export, encode/decode ?

Like from OGG, FLAC to WAV or vice-versa ?

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

You must be a mind-reader I actually have been planning to cover the design of Rave, its core modules and the technology behind them in one of the subsequent posts. As you're saying: some people may find it interesting to read about design choices and experience acquired while working on such a project.

Quote:
Thank you for updating your blog with interesting articles.

You're very welcome, I'm glad I have regular readers Apart from software updates I'd like to keep writing more general articles and reviews, to balance technical stuff with something more journalistic.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@SinanSam460

Quote:
Do you plan to add some funtions like export, encode/decode? Like from OGG, FLAC to WAV or vice-versa?

These formats are already supported but I assume you mean batch conversion of audio files between various formats? If so, this will most probably come as an additional plugin module, and only if there is enough user interest.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

I can't wait to use rave. He looks really great

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

Thanks for an interesting read.

It made me dream of another universe where AmigaOS had been continuously developed by a dedicated company/organization without weird fights getting in the way and people getting mad and leaving and others wasting energy trying to reinvent the wheel etc. etc.

Maybe in such a universe, there would have been someone who had developed the standard file requester to be capable of being extended with custom functionality, so you wouldn't have to implement everything yourself just to add some special features.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
It made me dream of another universe where AmigaOS had been continuously developed by a dedicated company/organization without weird fights getting in the way and people getting mad and leaving and others wasting energy trying to reinvent the wheel etc. etc

Like everybody else I'm unhappy about the current state of things and the silly legal quagmire AmigaOS was dragged into. But as I have no say in decisions and cannot influence the situation, I think the best thing I can do is bring new software. Because if users realize that the OS ownership is uncertain, that system updates are scarce, that new OS4 hardware isn't coming, and on top of all this there's no new software, our userbase drain will be faster than bullets in a dodgy neighbourhood. Another reason is the wheel reinventing you mention, which unfortunately has been taking a growing proportion on the Enhancer project. People generally do not care whether their classes and datatypes come from Hyperion or A-EON or Shmaeon; they want - and quite vocally have been asking for - productivity apps. So I decided to write one.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Eliyahu wrote:
Don't forget to add your blog to the aggregator at amigablogs.net for folks to find you

Does anybody know who runs the amigablogs.net site and how to get in touch with them? I've already contacted them twice (via the website's contact form) asking if they could add Rear Window to the aggregator, but they never responded or added the blog

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie
That George (walkero) you need to contact with

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@trixie
I added your fine blog at the amigablogs.net (http://amigablogs.net/node/582664/feed-items). Thank you for updating your blog with so interesting posts.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

Fantastic, thank you very much!

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
And while I was doing this, I saw your blog Roman (http://kas1e.blogspot.com/) left with no updates. I bet we could read some fine posts from you again. Should we hope for it?

Follow me on
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

Quote:
And while I was doing this, I saw your blog Roman (http://kas1e.blogspot.com/) left with no updates. I bet we could read some fine posts from you again. Should we hope for it?

Yes please, Roman! Even if your blog just serves to introduce your great videos.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero,trixie
I just find out blogs to be something you spend a lot of time on, but they did not get much attention. I mean, you wrote nice articles, spend a lot of work on them, and they disappeared into the dust after few weeks. And no one will read them outside, as they didn't have many frameworks behind like saying youtube, where anyone typing "amigaos4" can found your work.

But i surely love to read amigaos4 blog articles :)

Speaking about my videos (And sorry for OT, but as Trixie ourself bring it here, so hope he in interst about too), i finished today my problably first "big" video i spend 2 weeks on : "Sam460: from the Begining to the End". It's pretty long 45 minutes video, about SAM460. With music, subtitles, lot of editing-video work, etc, etc. Not "that" proffesional of course, but probably one of not bad ones from me.

There is: https://youtu.be/X75KbnOpZhA

Quote:

PART 1: Unpacking the package and close look at motherboard - 0:15 till 4:35
PART 2: The first run. Tests on the Table. | 4:30 till 9:00
PART 3: Installing into the case. Vertical GFX setup. | 9:10 till 20:45
PART 4: Installing of AmigaOS4 FE. an USB Stick way. | 20:55 till 26:20
PART 5: The basic configuration : Network, Audio and Extrass | 26:30 till 30:35
PART 6: UP 2 DATE. Installing Update1 and Update2 | 30:45 till 36:20
PART 7: Full settings. Real-life performance | 36:30 till 45:15

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

A small update to the latest article on the Rear Window blog. The file requester module of the Rave audio editor now supports DOS multi-assigns. As the screenshot below shows, multi-assigns are shown in bold and when you double-click on them, you can select one of the associated paths from a pop-up menu.

Resized Image

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

Do you have any idea of ​​an approximate release date?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »