Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

MigthyMax, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Leaving?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I ask, because there is a lot of Amiga users who are quitting the scene in view of the latest shananigans by Amiga.inc.

They have done nothing for us, but tell us how great its gonna be. Then nothing. We should have been rejoicing at the fact that new hardware was out by now. Instead, stupidly, they get into a court wrangle with the only people who have done anything for us, Hyperion.

Why oh Why, a compromise couldn't be reached is beyond me.

As a result, I know of two people in the UK who are quitting the Amiga scene altogether over this latest bungle. News just reached me this morning that a further 2 Amiga users are selling their A1's and leaving the scene altogether. We should have been increasing numbers instead, we are further decreasing numbers. Its all so depressing.

The way I feel about it at the mo, if no new hardware is out by Christmas this year, I too will be selling my MicroA1 and moving to the mac.

I have had enough.

Shame on Amiga inc for causing this and shame on them for not caring.

Any one else feel the same way? Does anyone care anymore?

NOTE: The views above are my own and do not necessarily reflect in any way, the views of the Amigans.net staff.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: Leaving?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I think the lucky ones who have an A1 should be trying to stick it out for the time being.. I'm definitely not going anywhere! Enjoy the software we have. Skinnable Tunenet is coming out soon, and if we're lucky we might have x11 firefox and/or Sputnik soon too. Dont you love using Amiga apps? and getting stuff done under your favourite OS? dont sell up, man!

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:

The way I feel about it at the mo, if no new hardware is out by Christmas this year, I too will be selling my MicroA1 and moving to the mac.

Why not do both?

I have several linux and windows boxes beside my A1 at home. No need for me to throw out the A1 just because I'm using other hardware and OS'es.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I think many peoples who already own AmigaOnes will keep them until they break. Then they will consider if it's worth spending a few hundred Pounds on a new CPU module. Some will others won't. So the number of users is going to decrease, but it's a slow process.
What I see a bit more critical is the mood and general feeling of the developers. When the situation looks hopeless, then some will stop developing for it. This will make the OS less attractive because apps are missing. It's like a vicious circle.
It's difficult to say how many are waiting to get OS4 hardware. If it would be available now, then I am sure that it would immediately more than double the userbase, boosting development.
I think we will loose most of those peoples when MOS is released for Efika, because many will buy it for the cheap price (although it's not the same and very limited).

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:

I have had enough.

Although I don't think there will be new hardware by Christmas, I also think you should keep both. Sometimes we need to take a break and come back with fresh energy. I would only sell it when in desparate need of money, because it has become a rare item and will not decrease in value.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mikey_C

gday Mikey its looking grim
2 of my friends are chucking in the towel they said enough is enough the wait has been to long they said they are selling their A1's im trying to talk them out of it but fear its all too late im not sure how much longer im willing to wait as ill be all alone here with an A1 im seriously thinking of going Mac only too

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

You do and I'll send the boys around AND don't think we don't know where you live!! -:) Somewhere in the UK isn't it.

Put it this way. We A1 owners have been on our own HW wise for ages, so what has changed? On the other hand we have dedicated developers like Bean, CygnusEd, PEB, Cobra, Geri (A1Linux) not to mention the developers of AmigaAmp, DvPlayer, Mplayer, Pointrider, Amidisk, Simplemail,YAM, IBrowse, Amizilla, XNet-RSS, E-UAE etc etc (sorry if I have missed some). All these guys and gals are busting their balls (and boobs?) to bring us some quality stuff. Slowly but surely that is happening, I guess as A1 HW owners we owe it to them to see this through.

Each one of us that gives up adds to the stupid situation and kills the dreams of those who want to join us.

ace

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

Allow me to put this in a slightly different light:

A few are getting all in a sniff, determined to leave the scene in a huff, and why? Because the owner of the IP has determined to defend the IP (it doesn?t matter who wins the court case; either way, the owner of the IP is defending the IP).

Is that really the group you want to be counted with?

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Billsey

Damn right, Do you know Billsey, Over the years I have been an Amiga user, I have tried my hardest to support the community.

I did, Amihoo.com, before that Amiyell.co.uk, then I have also done, Samba install guide, maconamiga, jabberwocky guide, many amiga related reviews, helped to organise shows in the UK such as WOASE, BBx etc. Promoted programs a magazine, done various webcasts, organised other amiga events, helped set up and run an Amiga usergroup, Helped to set this site up, heck, I was once an Amiga inc supporter!

But I feel its all been for nothing, because no matter how hard I work to try and keep the Amiga community bouyant (and yes, I know no one has asked me to) All we have had are get glib promises from a company that to date has failed to deliver anything! For much of the history of Amiga inc under Bill McEwen, we have been largely ignored, instead Amiga inc concentrated on their Amiga Anywhere brand.

Finally, just as we are nearing the bright light on the horizon, with the finishing of OS4 and new hardware coming along, they decide that they finally DO CARE and set the whole momentum back.
Now all we have is even more delays that could run into many many years.

I am tired, exhausted and totally fed up. If it wasn't for words of support from HJF I would have quit ages ago.

Amiga inc? pah, phooey!

Mind you, I can't help but feel that McEwen is just being led from up above. Still doen't make it any better though.

Note: Views expressed above are my own and not of Amigans.net

Mikey C

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

I feel a bit down due the current situation too.
But you know what?
I am a fighter, and I enjoy AOS too much to throw in the towel. I said it in 1996 and I'll say it again, i'll be the last Amiga user standing, and i'll do it with pride! :D

There's the classics too you know, that still are fun to tinker with. The last days my classic 1200/060 have been used more than my A1.

I hope the situation clears, but instead of sitting in a corner looking sad, I just keep on doing what I have always been doing, using my Amigas in a creative way.

This post has to end here, gotta finish that killer 060 demo we are working on. =)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C (and others)

Throwing a bit of a curve ball into the thread, yesterday I was gifted with a 1.0 GHz Celeron-based machine that has 256MB of RAM with an open slot, and a 30GB hard drive (I might add a larger one) as well as a 40x CD-RW (I confess that I did use the w98 on it to configure an Access Point that someone else had previously gifted me with). I plan to put Linux on that machine, but I also want to get a working "Amiga" going, so I have a point of discussion for everyone: Which would be better, hosted AROS, UAE/E-UAE, or Amiga Forever (My Amiga software and files would be getting restored from a single CD-R, since I don't have a SCSI controller on the machine; yes, I do still have the A1200's hard drives )?

OFF-TOPIC ASIDE:
I have begun a mirror for my Chats at bcnet-chats.podomatic.com

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Your forgetting one mathematical equation.....

If someone sells his A1 it isn't an Amigan lost.... Coz someone else has bought it. THAT someone may well show that A1 off to his/her circle of friends... and off we go again.

( More disallusionment) <---- is that a real word ?

hehe

I think Mr Kinsel is doing a grand job laddie.

Chill out.. play with your mac. (Not the trenchcoat variety I saw you wearing in the park t'other day either !!)

oopsie.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Outcast

I ain't got a mac, but, with chrimbo not far away now....

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

I agree with you about McBill though.. I believe he is in the unenviable position of Puppet on a String...

But then.. He got into bed with Penti with his eyes wide open.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Outcast

Quote:

Outcast wrote:
@Mikey_C

I agree with you about McBill though.. I believe he is in the unenviable position of Puppet on a String...

But then.. He got into bed with Penti with his eyes wide open.

Indeed!! Couldn't agree more. Maybe if fleecy still had some say in the matter things wouldn't have gotten so far out of hand. After all, Fleecy was probably the only one left in Amiga inc with a solid Amiga background. If you think about it, the poeple behind Amiga inc now don't understand the platform, the technology or the community at all.

Mikey C

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:

I have had enough.

No, don't bite the dust. At least you have you A1. Mine is dead for ages, ACube resoldered the cpu but it still doesn't work (hopefully yet), but it is is not the end for me. So pull yourself together and stop thinking silly thoughts

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Mikey, you're really on an emotional roller coaster!! First you brought us "I'm Smiling", and now you talk about "Leaving."

But then, how many Amiga owners AREN'T on one of those roller coasters every now and then?

You've already pointed out all the reasons for NOT leaving. We wouldn't have this fine site if you hadn't started it, for one.

Seriously, I'm not saying we should all cloud our minds with "happy" drugs, or play ostrich. We're all fully aware of how much our situation as Amigans stinks. But the predictors were all saying 10 years ago that all things Amiga except memories would be gone within months.

Here we are, and we have a better OS and more recent hardware. I've never regretted selling my super-expanded '060 towered 4000 so I could buy my A1-XE. It even forced me to learn a little about Linux while I waited for the first pre-release.

But what you need to do right now is go back to teasing us all with more clues on the "I'm Smiling!" topic, and forget all this "doom and gloom."

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I'm not leaving any time soon - My A1 will be burnt out from usage before I do... and even then I bet I'll still view this site for a glimmer of hope!

I have 2 PC's and a fanless custom Linux server I built, I'll probably get a Mac at some point soon as well. It doesn't stop me enjoying my fav. system though.

The legal wranglings are very disappointing to say the least, but what can we do about it? Nothing, but await the outcome. Lets hope there are enough of us left, and development doesn't cease.

..oh and come down to ABW (ANT) will ya!

Cheers,
Bean.

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

Getting a Mac doesn't mean you have to give up your Amiga One, besides you know that someone like yourself will quickly regret the sale of something so precious.

There is still a lot going on in the community despite the dark clouds looming overhead. New software and updates appear on OS4depot almost everyday. Firefox will soon be working via X11 and then Sputnik will appear making the experience faster.

There are plenty of other projects going on some which are well known, some not so well and other that have yet to be announced. We got a new game from Insane Software who came out of the blue, they are positive yet realistic about what can be achieved in this market but still plan on further releases.

There will always be people who appreciate the effort you put in, whether it be a writing an article or keeping Amiga folk entertained and handing them nice prizes at Big Bash.

Do not let what Amiga Inc are doing at the moment spoil everything else about your hobby. All is not lost.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Mikey_C & bean
@bean and Mikey_C

You know what. I just came back from the pub after having a couple of beers with my 64yo ex-SAS mate. He was really pissed with using Windows. Granted he is fairly new to using computers as is my 68yo Dad and 73yo Mum but they are trying.

Tonight I expressed how sad it was that most folks of their age did not get to experience Amiga, particularly for the intuitiveness. However, I went on to explain that no matter how tiny this community has got there is something happening and old users willing to at least look at coming back.

In particular I talked about the development of Tunenet and discussed how far it had come in a relatively short period. I have no doubt some other OS4 programs will follow suit. I can't wait to show my mate the skinable version BUT I will show him the current one so he knows things grow.

Today, I fired up my Ubuntu PC, Windows PC and my Amiga. My favourite is my Amiga XE.

I sit down at my Amiga and download my emails as I ain't getting no viri from her, I can view most PPS using Pointrider, view WMV/youtube(flv)/others with MPlayer, mpg/avi with DVPlayer, internet banking with IBrowse/Aweb/AmiSSL, MSWordDocs with X11-Abiword, chat with WookieChat/Epistula/Jabberwocky/X11-GAIM, view photographics through AmigaScrapbook, PicView/WarpView/Thumb/AmiPhoto. Not to mention E-UAE and the myriad of excellent classic software that runs well under OS4. Then there are loads of games, SDL ports, some classics adjusted and on the horizon Allegro ports.

If you look at all this in total it is all happening without new HW. We have to hope the current HW sees out these developments!

Get a grip man-:)

Ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

If you want to sell your A1 and buy a Mac then thats fine. I haven't used an Amiga for 10 years (I use a PC.....ducks) but I still consider myself "part of the community" because I want to see the platform back again and will consider buying any new Amiga if/when they become available.

Jeff

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »