Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
258 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 258

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »
Re: AmigaOS and web browsing in 2013
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Its a bit hight but then if everything goes as Kas1e wants it will be easier to do later ports for both aros and os4 etc. I hold my thumbs.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Well considering that the sum for DOpus5 was very close to that ..

Also if the entire sourcecode will be really opened also the AROS users can beneficiate from it, and so they might help us collecting the sum .. 5000 is very mutch but not impossible at the end ..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Isn't swfdec LGPL, so open already?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

Quote:

Surely YT is buggy in HTML5 mode, but under "normal" FF works. For example, Iceweasel and Firefox PPC on Debian work superb on same hardware and same You Tube in HTML5 mode. Most of videos work like charm.

I don't know what you mean with "normal" firefox, but the same behaviour is exposed when only HTML5 is enabled and Flash is disabled.

For instance, when subscribed to the HTML5 program, this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA will tell Adoble Flash plugin is needed.

This is especially stupid because in fact, the html5 player is actually running the video behind this message! You can hear that in odyssey. In my script (which i need to update), i bypass this by deleting/hiding this silly message.

In any case, Odyssey works just as well as Chrome or Firefox when it comes to Youtube in HTML5 mode (and even better when scripts are enabled).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thematic
the same as webkit ) its for sure have specific morphos parts and some changes, which will be suck to make from scratch. just allopen source and the best put on SF. that will be goid deal.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

5000 euros is not too much. Fab worked extremely hard to produce a nice product which all three platforms have benefited from for years(when you count the ports). IMHO he deserves every penny.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

1 & 2. 5k euros is for opening the browser including media player.

3. swfdec could be opened as well, but it's a different thing, and anyway, it won't give you flash 9.0+.

4. The current version of odyssey relies on shared libraries versions of cairo, pixman, fontconfig, and i can't open that, since it's not even my work.

That said, all these libraries are mainly recompilations with minor tweaks (the actual work was about making them shared libraries):
- Cairo needs almost nothing (semaphore implementation, about 4 lines of code).
- Pixman just needs runtime altivec detection (3 lines of code?).
- Fontconfig just needs a couple changes for amiga paths. - I've already given you the necessary code to make Curl multithreaded, but for some reason you couldn't make it work in OS4. Maybe a thread-safety issue in OS4 bsdsocket?

I can always give my old changes of cairo, pixman and fontconfig if needed, but if you already have issues with such simple things, the rest will be hard to port...

5. Regarding the integration of OS4 and AROS in the code, well, considering the changes are VERY minor, they can as well be kept as patches, anyway. This is also what i do for MorphOS changes when merging, you know.
Keep in mind i have much more work each time i synchronize webkit to a current version. The OS4 and AROS (and MorphOS for that matter) changes are located mainly in a layer that doesn't change often, so all amiga* patches will happily apply.

6. My experience tells me that coding isn't supposed to be easy. Either you deal with all the required steps or you just don't do it. Don't expect everything will be done for you.

@TSK

I didn't see you questioning TW bounty that was bigger and yet doesn't quite match users expectations. Funny!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@fab
in general will be much better if you will port it yourself to os4 and aros ) i can help with all crosscompillers and co ) its all your work and no one will know and understand it better that you ) at least it will skip porters faults.

as for libcurl, it seems like problem in roadshow. i make pretty detailed bz about, with nice and simple test cases. Olaf says he will check this out soon ) problem not only for my port, but chris have same when tried to make threaded curl for netsurf. so, once - then ..

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fab
Would this 5k bounty include the open-sourcing of future "maintenance-releases" of OWB? I mean until there's some major rewrite or addition, like the HTML5 player, the PPC JIT, etc.

@kas1e
I don't think you should expect Fab to do the OS4 or AROS port himself. In addition to that, if bug which causes the multithreaded curl to fail is in Roadshow, then that will be fixed by the network stack's maintainer. Once the sources are released, volunteers can port OWB to their platform of choice, like it happened with previous versions.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Fab wrote:

Cairo needs almost nothing (semaphore implementation, about 4 lines of code).

If that is the case, I wonder why we don't have an OS4 .library version of Cairo yet? (Andrea Palmate's port from eight years ago doesn't count).

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Anonymous
@Fab

Great! Can we contact Power2People and create a bounty?

Wold Kas1e be a OS4 development leader? Surely, 5k euros is tough notch to crack, but if AROS people jack in, we might do it some point next year.

I am willing to give 20 euros a month to it, until done.

And would do the same if Hyperion came with decent plan on TW development - e.g. bounty to hire more people and finish TW4 before going TW22. All funds after certain amounth would go for TW22 development.

Unless they prove me wrong, I am starting to think they want to do FF 22 port on their own after they do OS 4.2 and Libre and then sell it as new product (I am not a conspiracy theorist, but they don`t show any progress on TW4 and don`t open source it).

Go to top
Anonymous
@ssolie

"You can do whatever you want with your money but I think we would be better off donating to developers that care about AmigaOS and want to make it better."

Surely, OWB is great. Developing it (since we have no news of TW4 final or any further) is care for AmigaOS.

If there are other, more interesting bounties, please let us know.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vox

Quote:
I am starting to think they want to do FF 22 port on their own after they do OS 4.2 and Libre and then sell it as new product

Pal, either you've been smoking something real good, or the pills your shrink gave you last time have some side-effects :)

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
as for libcurl, it seems like problem in roadshow. i make pretty detailed bz about, with nice and simple test cases. Olaf says he will check this out soon ) problem not only for my port, but chris have same when tried to make threaded curl for netsurf. so, once - then ..

Part of the problem is that libcurl has loads of old Amiga code in it, so it's a lottery as to whether it's calling bsdsocket or newlib functions, or a mixture of the two. I had a good go at building it both ways and it didn't make any difference though, so it does seem to be Roadshow with the problem.

Has anybody tried it with the 68k version of Roadshow?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Regarding Timberwolf, does anyone if we have heard any more up-to-date news than the following:
Quote:
Timberwolf is the AmigaOS port of Mozilla’s Firefox browser. Currently, the code is based on Firefox 4.0.1, but we’re working on bringing it up to the latest build (18.0.1 at the time of writing, although 19.x is more likely).

(This must have been written between 18-Jan-2013 & 6-Feb-2013, as that was when 18.0.1 was the "latest build".)

I thought I remembered hearing something, but I failed to find anything using Google.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Fab

sounds terrific. i love using odyssey on my MOS build, but i tend to use MOS infrequently, so it would be wonderful to have version/feature parity on AOS4. i'm not sure how the 'bounty' mechanism would be set up, but you'll have at least one more contributor here.

thanks for considering doing this. your work on odyssey is stellar and, assuming everything goes well, i look forward to using it on my AOS4 boxes, too.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Quote:
Pal, either you've been smoking something real good, or the pills your shrink gave you last time have some side-effects

it's the former. in copious amounts.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

No, no news since then ..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information