Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: USB PCI cards
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Darren:

Thx! Now the card is recognized correctly, but it behaves the same as the NEC one. As soon as I plug in something, my µA1 freezes. Anything I could do against this?

Oh, and I had to comment out the uhci parts in kicklayout, otherwise the machine wont boot at all, it hangs directly after the splash screen

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had a VIA based PCI card ready to try.
With Update 2 it would only hang the boot process, so I waited for the new update.
Under update 3 it still hangs, just cycling the splash screen repeatedly.
My PCI slot worked fine when I had a SoundBlaster card in there previously, so I don't think it's a slot problem.

It's not a big deal, I'll order a NEC based card the next time I go shopping.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@whose, @LyleHaze,
have you tried the card in another PCI slot?
Because I have a scsi card that work only in the first slot
otherwise the boot process stop at the end of the "loading modules"
phase.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@pvanni:

I wish the MicroA1 would have some more PCI slots... it has only one

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Paul wrote:
Quote:
it has a 9 pin usb header the same as my A1XE.

Lucky you! Mine has two internal type A sockets. I had to buy some extra hardware and an adaptor cable to get those headers.

I still haven't seen a clear statement whether a card with a Via chip will work or not. I can only say that my NEC based card DOES work.

Paul

My VIA-based card works with my A1.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hmmm... Am I missing a trick here? Because I was under the impression you couldn't use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot when the AGP slot was in use as they shared signals... Perhaps this is why your card is acting funny? I remember my IDE card would be recognised in the first slot (next to AGP), but would freeze the system if I tried to use it. Worked fine in the lower slots...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
In my AmigaOne G4/1Ghz (fixed) :

*One Radeon 9000 Pro on the AGP Port
*Nothing on the 66Mhz PCI port
*One SATA 3114 card on the 1st PCI 33 Mhz port (with one 1,5TB HD attached)
*One EMU10k sound card on the 2nd PCI 33 Mhz port
*One NEC USB 2 card on the 3rd PCI 33 Mhz port

Everything is working flawlessly.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
K-L wrote:
In my AmigaOne G4/1Ghz (fixed) :

*One Radeon 9000 Pro on the AGP Port
*One SATA 3114 card on the 1st PCI 33 Mhz port (with one 1,5TB HD attached)
*One EMU10k sound card on the 2nd PCI 33 Mhz port

Everything is working flawlessly.

Thanks for the info.
My USB2 is on it's way to me.
I'll follow your layout when I install it.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I dont think any PCI card works well in a micro A1 ... Unless you disable onboard IDE DMA and USB..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@SimplePPC:

Well, I have a PCI card working very reliable in my MicroA1... its a SII0680 RAID controller, and it works perfectly good (except RAID functionality, that is. No support for RAID atm.).

Theres no need to completely disable USB (theres still a bug somewhere, so that one has to disable rear or front USB ports in order to use a secondary IDE channel) and in theory the onboard IDE is usable, too. Well, usable, but not very stable, that is. But this is true for a bare system (without any PCI card inserted), too

The point with USB2.0 is, that the system freezes partly, if a USB device is plugged in. I think its the EHCI driver that makes big trouble here. For me it seems that USB2 wasnt tested very intensive on MicroA1. Maybe betatesters used FX machines only, which are a bit more reliable than the GX types.

Over at os4welt.de (german forum) theres somebody who found a USB2/SATA combination on PCI card and he states that it works fine, except USB2. He had to disable the EHCI driver, but OHCI works. And he doesnt need to disable the UHCI driver in Kickstart then.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Swoop wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I can confirm about the differences between PCI slots in an A1XE when trying to use a PCI USB card. My D-Link DU-520 USB2 PCI card doesn't work if inserted in the second PCI 33MHz slot, while it works flawlessly in the third PCI slot (the one which is nearest the motherboard's edge). My setup is as follows (it is similar to K-L's one):

*One Radeon 9200 on the AGP Port
*One SATA 3114 card on the 1st PCI 33 Mhz port
*Nothing on the 2nd PCI 33 Mhz port

This is on an A1XE 1GHz with internal USB and DMA fixes.

Incidentally, the same card refused to work in a Pentium 4 system as well, inserted in a PCI slot in the middle, I haven't tried to insert it in the last PCI slot.

This is my card: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DU-520

Varthall

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Varthall wrote:
Quote:

Swoop wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I can confirm about the differences between PCI slots in an A1XE when trying to use a PCI USB card. My D-Link DU-520 USB2 PCI card doesn't work if inserted in the second PCI 33MHz slot, while it works flawlessly in the third PCI slot (the one which is nearest the motherboard's edge). My setup is as follows (it is similar to K-L's one):

*One Radeon 9200 on the AGP Port
*One SATA 3114 card on the 1st PCI 33 Mhz port
*Nothing on the 2nd PCI 33 Mhz port

This is on an A1XE 1GHz with internal USB and DMA fixes.

Incidentally, the same card refused to work in a Pentium 4 system as well, inserted in a PCI slot in the middle, I haven't tried to insert it in the last PCI slot.

This is my card: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DU-520

Varthall

I had a similar "feature" with my PCI SCSI lsi53c8xx card which refused to work in the 1st pci 33 mhz slot but was working flawlessly on the 3rd (the last one), and that is on A1G4 with DMA and USB fixes !
but the card was not working anymore after I upgraded to AOS4.1 (or one the following update)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have both NEC and VIA card. I tried the VIA card for an day only and connected a usb mem stick and transfered 700mb file 3 times. No problem. I dont know how it would work daily.

The NEC card i had problems with as it freeze my system randomly. I tried and tested and my system worked stable without it. Now i put it back and my system is still stable. No random freeze for 2 days. Ok i havent connected anything to it but i will try more later. Strange stuff :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Kicko,

Could you please repeat your post, but use the layout that K-L and Varthall used, showing what is in each port?
Thanks.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
*Radeon9200(nonSE)
*Empty
*NEC or AVI
*SII0680
*ESI Juli@ soundcard

as said i had feezes before with nec in the same port with freezes. Now when i reconnected it seems to work ok. But then havent connected anything to it. will use if for transfering files.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kicko

Thanks.

Just wanted to be sure you saw the posts above where USB2 was working in the last slot as opposed to the first. (port 3 vs port 1)
If you have an issue you could copy the layout from those posters, and see if you get the satisfactory result that they did. (so far)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'd just like to add that I've salvaged a VIA USB2.0 card and have tried it in my A1. So far it doesn't work in the first 33MHz slot (but then again, neither does my Soundblaster card), and works fine in the second slot. I haven't tried swapping further, but it looks like I have to choose between audio and USB2.0 :( My cards:

AGP: Radeon 9250
PCI 66MHz: Empty
PCI 33MHz: Empty
PCI 33MHz: Soundblaster / VIA USB
PCI 33MHz: SII0680 IDE controller

Can anyone who has all three 33MHz slots working post up their interrupt settings etc? Because I might try fiddle with them and see if I can get all 3 slots working... Thanks!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus

From all the posts above and elsewhere, it is apparent that slot 1 has been good for H/D controller. Have you tried that and can you confirm?
If so, then perhaps post #27 layout for soundcard and usb2 might work for you.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@number6

Yeah, I went and tried that just after posting, in all the combinations above, and with just the IDE controller and graphics cards installed. The IDE controller is recognised by UBoot in the 1st 33MHz slot, but it doesn't work properly - the FLB can't find the SLB.

It looks like my first PCI slot ls knackered so :( I have my PCI IRQs set as 9, 10, 11 and 7, all level triggered. I've tried swapping them around, but the problem persists in the first slot and doesn't follow an IRQ.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus

Thanks for the follow up.
Just for my own curiosity:

(1)Was there always an issue with your slot 1?

(2)Is this a fixed or unfixed XE?

(3)Overclocked or running at 800mhz?

Regardless, this still follows what others have posted in different forums.
Slot 1 either works for H/D controller only or has issues (in your case) even with that.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »