Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Cinnamon Writer 0.69 IV released
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Dear All

As discussed in other forum, I am hereby releasing CW 0.69. Please notice, that this version displayed a particular nasty bug that I think I was able to remove. However, to be on the safe side, this version to treated as a intermediate or experimental version. Please test it and report any bugs or crashes that you find. This will allow me to release a stable version faster

You can download the new version on the homepage www.desler.be

Go to top
Re: Cinnamon Writer 0.69 IV released
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler

Cool ! Thanks ! I downloaded and tested, and have some question and some feature report :) :

The positive:

1. Runs fast, looks good, feels modern.

2. Save to PDF works fine (i just open some little text file, and save it to PDF, saves ok, and i can it open by APDF later). That pretty nice.

3. UNDO works up to 10 undos with no problems (not tested more, just 10 already ok, but i think it will more ?). And what is also good, it can be Undo as to Back, and as well reverse. That is good feature. Like you do 10 undo, but you need 9 only, so, you press other undo button, and it swith you back on 9. That make working with UNDO stuff nice.

The Negative:

1.For first, want to ask: Did CW support drop-down menus just by left mouse button as any other programms ? If not, why ? I see that problem (not having of drop-down meny) only in Hollywood based prods (Hollywood just does not have support of that). But i think CW is not Hollywood based prods ?

2.Nextly, i just try to open any document. First i see Manual.pdf in the main dir, so, i try it just to check how CW will works now. And it cant open it (just as text data even), and going to dead-loops. One time after i wait 2-3 minuts of loading of Manual.PDF, i have:

Quote:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc

And then loockup of whole OS. So, something wrong with memory allocation which happenes in the more or less big documents.

3. Something wrong with scrolling. I.e. you grab scroll-bar by mouse, start to move it, and if, you a bit move to right, scrolling stops (but must be not). To the left its ok, but to the right it stops. Also, when you scrolldown it to down, and just move it to the left or right, its automatically switch to the "resize of document" mode, but imho it must be happenes only when i press on bar (not on scrollbar) itself. So i think there is some bad calculation or kind .. Also when i just move scrollbar itself (to resize document), bar jumping worng. Like it was at down, i resize document by scroll-bar, and bar jumps
not at down, but at top.

4. Shift + down and Shift+up does not mark the text (but should).

5. Press on "save RTF" icon, and press "chancel". And CW give me "save document" window (like chancel just mean "ok", but not chancel). Also if i not write any name of document, its still do Save work (dunno where). But imho must say "please specify your file name to save".

6. Distortion of whole layers when you resize CW window to very small, and to big are start to renders badly, and all in all it bring you window:
Quote:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc

So, that memory problems happenes also here. Related to bad rendering, just open any document, then resize it to big window, and then resize it to as possible small window. And for first resize will not even works, and if still will (some time is it), it will totally fucked all the layers of programm and the result - lockup.

In general: Perspective, and nice. Hope it will be improved with time :) Thanks for.

Edited by kas1e on 2010/2/4 10:49:01
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
Thanks for the feedback. Ill look into it. Some of your points I can answer right away. PDF export is a one way process. AFAIK you wont be able to import PDFs into neither Word, OpenOffice, AbiWord or any of the existing WP on amiga. The reason is that PDF is not a document format. It is an electronic printed side. In the format you will have to guess which letters goes together with other words. This is why you will only open garbage.
You memory allocation is most likely to happen because you are running out of memory. Do you have virtual memory turned on? I was able to load a document on a 150 pages. It ate a lot of memory and needs speeding up, but CW did not crash.
Regarding the UNDO / REDO feature. CW supports endless cycles (limited only by available memory). I am happy that you like it, it took a lot of work
I am not sure what you mean about pull-down menus? Don't they work or do they work in a fashion that you did not expect? Could you please elaborate.
Even though Hollywood is a great program, CW is coded in c++ and Hollywood has not been used.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler

Not that i have tested it yet (im not in front of my Amiga), but ill just throw in my first (and for me biggest drawback) feature request.

Would it be possible to add copy and paste (from "outside" --> clipboard as well as inside --> CW) as well as drag and drop to the main window?

I will get back to you when i had the chance to test CW throughoutly

Thanks a bunch or the new and updated version

Thumbs way up

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@desler

I've posted on Amigaworld.net :

Thanks. As soon as I will be home i'm gonna to download it.

By the way, have you improved the import/export of the rich text format file format ? Is it now compatible with other programs like Wordworth, Abiword, Finalwriter, etc ?

Thanks again. Gonna make a donation (done) !

Nic

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel
Copy and paste to clipboard is planned to be added very soon. Drag and drop will most likely not be included right away, but is on the to-do list

@unimon
The import / export have been slightly improved, but since I am considering a complete overhaul, this part of CW has not been altered too much. Thanks for the very generous donation

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler

Quote:

PDF export is a one way process. AFAIK you wont be able to import PDFs into neither Word, OpenOffice, AbiWord or any of the existing WP on amiga. The reason is that PDF is not a document format. It is an electronic printed side. In the format you will have to guess which letters goes together with other words. This is why you will only open garbage.

Yep, i agree, PDF opening/showing it's work not for the Tex/Word processors, but it must open it as garbage. For now, when you try to open Manual.PDF, you don't have that grabage. CW just show you window "load document", then after a while allocation/deallocation error, and then, lockup of whole OS. Nothing shows, etc. No garbage , nothing. Just dead-end loop :)

Quote:

You memory allocation is most likely to happen because you are running out of memory. Do you have virtual memory turned on? I was able to load a document on a 150 pages. It ate a lot of memory and needs speeding up, but CW did not crash.

I have 1gigabyte of memory :) It's more that enough imho for any programm related to open any big file. I can open ISO files (700mb of size), just by multiview, or by any hex redactor (of course there is also garbage, but, it's opens fine).

Realted to viruatl memory : where i can turn it on ? In the CW or in os4 ? Still, i think, all must be ok with or without, because 1gb of memory is pretty big amount of memory for the open just 1.5mb file (even if it's just garbage will be).

Quote:

Regarding the UNDO / REDO feature. CW supports endless cycles (limited only by available memory). I am happy that you like it, it took a lot of work

Yes, this one are really nice. Not sure that i have something like this in all the modern win32 progs (in general not mspain, not msword and not photoshop have that if i remember right). So, that feature are something different and nice for use :)

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean about pull-down menus? Don't they work or do they work in a fashion that you did not expect? Could you please elaborate.

I mean that for any programm mostly we have menus, which we can open by pressing right mouse button. Like for example in workbench itself. You press right mouse button - and have menu. Or like in Filer, you press right mouse button - and have menu. And the same for almost all the other programms. The same for Golded/CygnusEd and just ED or CED. You press right mouse button, and have menu.

In case with CW, i was in hope, that when i will press right mouse button, i will have pull-down menu, where will be: OpenFile, SaveFile, Quit, About, Preferences and so on (i.e. usual stuff). And looks like CW does not have that ?

Quote:

Even though Hollywood is a great program, CW is coded in c++ and Hollywood has not been used.

Understand. So, no any limitation for you then. Just you not impelemt it looks like ?

Btw, just try to open Manual.PDF yourself in last CW. In theory, it must show us Garbage, but must show. For now (for me), it's start to load document , but never load it, and i never see garbage of that document. Just lockup.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@desler

Hi,

i would love to use it more. The documents i am working on are however mostly Wordworth produced rtf files.

They load but not as expected. Most words are underlined, and layout not respected. neither.
Guess you did not look after this. Can you tell if you will?

Thanks for your efforts
Joseph

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler

Keep up the good work. It will only get better and better.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler

thanks for the update

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@JosDuchIt

I think that he will improve that feature. Anyway, if you load with wordworth a saved file in rtf from cinnamon, it works but layout a little bit different. I think we should have a little patience. I remember that with version 0.62 I couldn't even load any rtf file saved by Cinnamon.
A tipp : if you want to have the same layout in WordWorth and Cinnamon, try to juggling with margins settings, size of font, etc.
But have you noticed that at least the used font is same in both programs ?

@desler

Could you change the way of printing ? I mean when I want to print with the Workbench settings or Turboprint, for example, firts the file is converted in PS format and my Ghostscript (update 4.1.1) stopped because of an error like "can't find sPrint... GS closed with a Forbid..." something like that, so maybe could you also improve this feature ? Thanks.

What I like also is the progress bar .

Thanks for your job!

Edited by unimon on 2010/2/5 9:00:32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Dear All

After some struggle, I have now made the newest version of CW available.
I hope to have removed most / all of the bugs reported, but please treat this version as a Beta and help me by reporting any bugs you find.
From this version and forwards CW do no longer rely on SDL and all operations are now native. At the same time several bugs have been removed and some of the core code has been optimized. As a result this version is the fastest and most stable version to date.
PLEASE NOTICE: In this version mouse whell support has been removed. Furthermore, internet links in the About menu are also not set up correct. This will change for the final version

Download it now!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@desler

I do have problems opening the archive.
Any one else?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@desler

I`ve tried v0.69 on my A1 G4XE 1ghz and it opens the program and
appears to display the program fully but the system freezes so i cannot do anything but reset-soft.
I still use OS 4.0 does that make a difference?

Mark

Edited by Cap on 2010/4/3 14:04:41
A1200 060/ppc Grex/Voodoo
OS 3.9

A1 G4/1Ghz born again thanks to Acube Systems.
OS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Archive is OK for me.

There is no longer black requesters for me. I can see files now
but I'd like to use ISO-8859-2 codeset.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cap
It is most likely because of the 4.0 / 4.1 gap. Do you see all the graphics correct before it crashes? If I can find the reason for your crash I will compile a 4.0 compatible version and upload it

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@desler

Thank you for this new realese of your program.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@desler

All the graphics do appear correct but frozen.:(

A1200 060/ppc Grex/Voodoo
OS 3.9

A1 G4/1Ghz born again thanks to Acube Systems.
OS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler

The isse with saving RTF files is still in

Write a text
Save as RTF
Load the file
two lines have been added to the top and the bottom of the file

Other than that you squashed all bugs i reported

Thank you very much

Great work

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Nice to hear CW growing. Keep up the good work :)

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »