Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

livebyfaith74, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

pci-e/m.2 ssd on x5000?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Can we use m.2 ssd on the amiga with pci-e adapter?
Or are there other ways to use m.2 ssd on the amiga?

X5000
Go to top
Re: pci-e/m.2 ssd on x5000?
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I guess that it could be used, if the card uses one of the supported SiI chips (like the SiI3112) and the connection on the card is used similarly like if you had a SATA connection. But I guess this combination is difficult to be found, and if there is something like that worth a try out.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

This : https://www.amazon.fr/StarTech-com-Ada ... F-vers-SATA/dp/B00ITJ7U20 (French but you can easily find it in any language)

And as walkero said : you should also need a supported SATA card if your internal ports are full.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

So it seems we are stuck with sata speeds?
As the pci-e can handle much faster transfers. I guess we need some drivers?

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

It should be a generic driver, and makes sense because how can you boot from UEFI if it was not.

Its hosted-on git hub in the Linux kernel, we need to make kernel module for ExecSG, and I guess we need support in UBOOT/CFE/OpenFirmware to boot on it.

https://nvmexpress.org/education/drivers/linux-driver-information/

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Even if somebody develops a nvme driver for amigaos, there are some other problems.
The P5020/P5040 has PCIe v2.0, which means up to 500MB/s for one lane.
The P5020 has 18 lanes, but 8 are unused on the X5000!!!
Lane[0-3] are used for PCIe x16 slot.

Lane[4-7] are used with a PCIe-PCIe-switch for the 1 PCIe x4, the 3 PCIe x1 and with a PCIe-PCI-switch for the 2 PCI Slots

Lane[16-17] are used for the 2 SATA-ports

Only if you not use any other PCIe x1 or PCI Card, then you could use a fully connected PCIe x4 Slot, but you need a Riser Card/Cable, because the Slot is mostly blocked by the Headsink of your graphicscard.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@aclogic

Yes, as in X5000 Manual written, only 10 Lanes (P5020 and P5040) are used. Do you know why? Any further information about that design?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@IamSONIC

No, i don't know why they used this solution. I think it was cheaper to use these chips than to add additional layers to the PCB.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

Per the subject, I take it as asking if the PCIe based NVME style (no SATA at all) ssd cards in m.2 slot.

For booting, that would likely require uboot support.

For other than booting, and after booting, that would require OS driver.

I know not of either, but do hope that NVME drivers do happen (or already did), and uboot support for booting them too.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

The Open Power Notebook design includes M.2 NVME so if there isn't currently support in uboot it will certainly be an item on the checklist for this project. The Notebook also has M.2 slots for Wifi and GSM modems.

With the PCB design now underway I think it's a good time to start working towards driver support for these devices in OS4.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@IamSONIC

The reason is obvious. The P5020 is targeting embedded network solutions and not generic PC solutions. So the lanes can be configured for a combination of PCIe, SRIO, XAUI, SGMII and SATA interfaces with network applications in mind. You cannot freely assign these interfaces to any serdes lane. You can only choose from 28 different serdes lane/interface configurations.

Table 3-15 in the P5020 reference manual shows the different configurations for the 18 serdes lanes.

When you want to use two SATA controllers then there are only 18 configurations left.

The optimum configuration for PC applications would be SRDS_PRTCL=0x02. This serdes configuration offers:
-PCIe1 2.0 x4
-PCIe2 2.0 x4
-PCIe3 2.0 x1
-PCIe4 2.0 x1
-SATA1 2.0
-SATA2 2.0
This is a maximum of 12 out of 18 lanes. (There is also a x8 configuration available but this one is limited to PCIe gen1 speeds. So no improvement in bandwidth at the expense of the x4 slot.)

From design perspective, the X5000 needs 14 lanes. 12 PCIe + 2 SATA. So they needed an external PCIe switch anyways to gain the additional lanes.
From performance perspective, it would have been nice that they routed the two unused PCIe lanes to 2 of the PCIe x1 slots directly. But since x1 slots are used for audio cards and ethernet cards, this is no loss. Personally, I wouldn't mind to loose 2 PCIe x1 slots or 1 x1 slot and the two PCI slots. This would have saved the costs of the PCIe switch. But this is now the ultimate P5020 solution for an ATX form factor.

The T2080 has similar limitations. The best configuration for this processor is:
-PCIe4 3.0 x4
-PCIe1 2.0 x4
-PCIe2 2.0 x2
-PCIe3 2.0 x2
-SATA1 2.0
-SATA2 2.0
This is 14 out of 16 lanes. PCIe4 supports gen3. This doubles the bandwidth compared to the P5020. But graphics chips, or at least the ones that we can use, barely benefit from higher bandwidth.
Tomshardware did a nice test about this in: "The Myths Of Graphics Card Performance: Debunked, Part 2". In this acticle, they compared the framerate of the Radeon R9 290x with benchmark software for PCIe 3.0 x16 (15.75GB/s) all the way down to PCIe 1.0 x8 (2GB/s ; same bandwidth as the X5000). The result was 59.6fps versus 56fps. So almost 8 times more bandwidth resulted in only 6.4% more fps.

The two remaining serdes lanes of the T2080 can be used for SGMII. It might be beneficial to the board layout to use the SGMII interface instead of the RGMII interface.

Go to top

Register To Post