Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Compatible memory modules
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So, I read that performance is better with dual memory modules. In my x5,I only have one.

Is the list on http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=X5000

The best option. 2 * 4Gb ? I was thinking of the Kingston.

Thanks.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Compatible memory modules
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Interesting,I am following this thread...I read the same and also, I have one module 4GB in my x5. 🥳

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I originally had 1x2Gb (Corsair) in my X-5000 and after reading the recommandation from Kas1e regarding his latest ports I replace it with 2x1Gb of Kingston which were laying around and after running Ragemem, I am getting the expected number for write32/64 (around 1'500)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have question this time on X1000 memory:

X1000 has two DDR2 controllers, each with two sockets, i.e. is possible to place 4 pcs od RAM modules á 4 GB = total 16 GB.

I have two 2GB modules, one on each controller, total of 4GB.
If I tried 4 modules, system doesn't work or was unstable ( both AnigaOS and linux)

Do anybody sucseed use 4 modules on X1000? And if yes, please which types?

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sailor

Thank you for reminding me not to try it again

I did this some years back and even filed a bug report about it (long lost and forgotten, as it seems, probably time to at least file it at AmigaKit).

I currently have 2x4GB modules in bay 0 and 1 (i think), the ones on the right side of the CPU.

My findings from back then were that it doesn't seem to be either of the RAM controllers (both work if used solely) but interleaving between them two.
It looks like that interleaving was never really tested when the hardware were designed/developed (the early stages) and when it came to testing with the OS it seems none of the betatesters/developers thought of populating more than 2 of the RAM sockets.

Be it as it may, i tried with 16 GB (4x4GB) back then and the system went into suicide mode...even *IF* i made it into WB it would take only some minutes before it came crashing down frantically (no more warm, no more cold reboot possible, system had to be shut down completely for at least ten minutes before it would ponder about coming back to life).

I don't think it was the RAM modules either (because all four of them were tested in every possible combination, with always the same outcome...populate two differing sockets and prepare to crash)

edit: I just realized...sorry for off-topic

Edited by Raziel on 2022/9/4 20:11:02
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324
There we discuss all things heavy with all the tests and stuff related to memory modules on x5k:

https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8694

That the best results i have:

https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=128597#forumpost128597

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

thank you for your experience.

For me interleaving working at least with two modules.
I have modules in sockets DIMM1 and DIMM3 ( first left and first right from CPU ). Only four modules makes troubles.

I tested it few years ago, so I am not sure if it works the same way with sockets DIMM2 and DIMM4 ( far left and far right from CPU ).
I will test it and also will check speed without interleaving ( one module, or both modules on one CPU side)

And I have the same modules types, but they not marked like "matched pair". Maybe this can matters too.

AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sailor

I "works for you" in the way that you hvae your daily WB running and do a lot of stuff with it without problems, or it "runs whenyou put them in" but not really tested heavily?

I don't think you need "matching pairs", as long as both work in matching ram sockets (0 and 1, 2 and 3) they should work interleaved as well, of not there is something broken or unsupported in the RAM handling.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

"works for me" in this case means, that I have it inside my X1000 several years without problems.

I.e. interleaving probably works - I have to measure RAM speed

Edited by sailor on 2022/9/5 7:25:49
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
https://www.buykingston.co.uk/kingston ... VzMhWMKixFIEaAscuEALw_wcB

CAS 10 is all I see.

Geenam said:
"Kingston Fury Beast 2x16GB DDR3-1833 Dual Rank (KF318C10BBK2/16) -> CL-8-9-8-24@1333MT"

???

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

This CAS 10 thing. Can someone help me because before I buy these modules I want to make sure that I have the correct ones and not miss thr chance to get better ones.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324
Why not go that route : just check the models we point out as best tested in thread i quote, and buy then exactly the same with the same markers ?

Edited by kas1e on 2022/9/8 5:46:06
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

See datasheet of those modules

FACTORY TIMING PARAMETERS
Default (Plug N Play):
DDR3-1866 CL10-11-10-30 @ 1.5V
DDR3-1600 CL9-10-9 @ 1.5V
DDR3-1333 CL8-9-8 @ 1.5V <-- DDR3-1333 is X5000/20 DDR3 speed

But the 8GB kit is single rank. You want the 16GB kit for dual rank.

Edited by geennaam on 2022/9/7 9:28:57
Edited by geennaam on 2022/9/7 9:33:14
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks. Understood.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I finally tested the KF318C10BBK2/16.

Before I had:
Quote:

DRAM: Initializing....using SPD
Detected UDIMM AFLD34AN1P
There is no rank on CS0 for controller 1.
Not enough bank(chip-select) for CS0+CS1 on controller 1, interleaving disabled!

The difference is not that much. In that case, the single AFLD34AN1P that I had was quite good, then.

That single module, AFLD34AN1P:
READ32/64 667/1249
WRITE32
/641635/1643
WRITE

Vs, the KF318C10BBK2/16. (2*8):
READ32/64719/1324
WRITE32
/641707/1715
WRITE

So, an improvement.

Thanks.

George Orwell.
Go to top

Register To Post