Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 5 »
How interested in the PS3 for OS4 are you?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hyperion and Amiga Inc seem to want AmigaOS4.x on the Playstation 3, just like Yellow Dog Linux is already running on the platform.

Translation of the first paragraph listed below, written in a news interview just after AmigaOS4's release:

"Hyperion Entertainment hopes to adjust their operating system for the Playstation 3. The Cell processor in Sony's new console is based on PowerPC technology, so technically that's possible. For now this is future talk, acknowledges Carton: "There are a few technical and legal obstackles to be taken care of."

http://www.zdnet.nl/news.cfm?id=64015

Carton is in charge of Hyperion, the company which leads the AmigaOS4 project.

Original text:

Quote:
Hyperion Entertainment hoopt het nieuwe besturingssysteem ook aan te passen voor de PlayStation 3. De Cell-processor in de nieuwe console van Sony is gebaseerd op PowerPC-technologie, dus technisch is dat mogelijk. Voorlopig is het PS3-plan toekomstmuziek, geeft Carton toe: "Er moeten nog enkele technische en juridische obstakels uit de weg worden geruimd."

Totdat het OS mag draaien op de PlayStation 3, blijft het potenti?le publiek van AmigaOS 4.0 dus beperkt. Carton denkt voornamelijk aan hobbyisten en nostalgische computergebruikers die wel eens een Amiga-emulator afstoffen. "Mensen die zich de tijd nog herinneren dat je een computer zoals een tv in een handomdraai kon uitzetten door gewoon op een knop te drukken." AmigaOS 4.0 moet in het voorjaar beschikbaar zijn, tegelijk met de nieuwe hardware.

Another comment from Hyperion managers:

Quote:
"Could a cell-based computer be a future AmigaOne?"

Bingo! All in good time ofcourse, not running before we can walk.

CELL will be pushed heavily into many CE type devices by Sony and Toshiba.

It is by design fairly self-contained and therefore easy to build a system around.

Amiga CEO comment on the PS3 and Cell, just after establishing Amiga Development India:

Quote:
There are numerous other high end graphics and multi-media devices coming out in the coming months that use Cell, and Cell is PPC. There is a great deal of opportunity staying with PPC and expect that with the conversations that we have had with Freescale, and IBM, that there are several OEM's that are interested in what we have planned as well.

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Edited by MikeB on 2007/2/26 15:42:03
Go to top
Re: How interested in the PS3 for OS4 are you?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MikeB

CELL based mobo - Thumbs up

PS3 - Thumbs down (for me)

(1) It would likely be placed in another room (where my
TV-set is) and mostly used for playing games on the console.
(2) I'd like to build my own computer, i'd like have the
possibility to choose my own hardware add-ons, case etc.
(3) As much as i'm waiting for the PS3, i will NOT use it
as a computer - it will be my console to play awesome games.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Thumbs up of course! Get OS4.0 final out there to the peoples!
I think the PS3 is a good way to get OS4.0 in the hands of a more mainstream community.
I can think of situations where somebody prefers AmigaOS on a PS3 instead of Linux. Think about it: The buyers of consoles are mainly lovers of gaming. I don't think most of them are interested in compiling their kernal and others Linux-stuffs.
What they want is simplicity and fun! And I think AmigaOS 4.0 can offer both of this!

One question: What are CE type devices?

"CELL will be pushed heavily into many CE type devices by Sony and Toshiba."

Do you have any idea how licensing will work in the case of PS3? Amiga Inc. has said that they need to be contacted by the company selling or building the hardware. But is it realistic to assume that SONY will do that? I think not!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@MikeB

CELL based mobo - Thumbs up

PS3 - Thumbs down (for me)

I don't think that a CELL based mainboard is very realistic in the future. They are much too expensive and I can't see why they would start mass-production to make them cheaper!

So if you want a PPC-based computer that is fast but affordable, CELL-based consoles are the only way to go!

Quote:
(3) As much as i'm waiting for the PS3, i will NOT use it as a computer - it will be my console to play awesome games.

I don't see the reason why you can't use it as a computer. Only because there are great games for it? You sound like an Atari ST fanboy. They always said that Amiga is only a "game console" only because it had GREAT games, but they were wrong! The PS3 and the Amiga offers everything you need. And if you really want to tinker around with it, why don't you make another case for the PS3?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The Playstation 3 is really unlike any other games console before it, which is reflected on its hefty price tag (despite selling at a considerable loss) for a gaming console.

I did some investigations, but usually discussions move toward an 'Atari ST vs Amiga' style flamewar involving the XBox 360 or even the very different Nintendo Wii. Media have also reported negatively about the platform, but I expect this to change when the advantages of the platform becomes more apparent (March firmware/OS update and more Cell optimised games and software appearing soon).

Also many people claim the PS3 is performing very badly, sales wise. But considering the price tag and developers still learning to harvest the Cell potential, the console performed about on par with at least my personal expectations, here are some launch comparison graphs based on data provided by VGCharts.org:

Japan:

Resized Image

North America:

Resized Image

Note that with regard to this graph a lot more PS2 software was available, as the console was launched in North America more than 7 and a half month after the Japanese release.

Japan + North America (360 vs PS3):

Resized Image

IMO the PS3 isn't performing that bad at all.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helge

Quote:

I don't see the reason why you can't use it as a computer. Only because there are great games for it?

Read my points 1 and 2 again

Quote:

You sound like an Atari ST fanboy.

Do i?

Quote:

The PS3 and the Amiga offers everything you need.

You got my point right there...

That's why i want to have a PS3 AND an Amiga, one for playing, one for work.

Neither want i to work on a big TV screen, nor play in an office chair.

Quote:

And if you really want to tinker around with it, why don't you make another case for the PS3?

Because i don't have the slightest idea, how to do that?
I am not a carpenter, nor can i make anything from metal or
plastic (expect sharp things i throw at people not stopping
to bother me).

I'd like to have a normed mobo to be able to put it in
whatever the industry gives me...short-sighted? Maybe!

But that's how i am, love me or hate me!
[uhm, where did i get THAT quote from?]

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Wow, these are some impressive sales figures! I didn't know the PS3 was selling better than XBox360 in all markets!

It's always a bit difficult what website to believe because they often get sponsored by companies. Is vgcharts.org an objective source?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
(1) It would likely be placed in another room (where my TV-set is) and mostly used for playing games on the console.

I surely understand that, Jorge at AmigaWorld who did a lot of AmigaOS4 roadtours across Europe thinks about getting his second PS3, as his kids occupy the PS3 all of the time and he's so interested in Cell development.

BTW, an article I wrote regarding one of Jorge's roadtours (Switzerland):
here

Jorge is a nice guy, in 2004 when I worked in Austria he invited me over to show me the lastest AmigaOS4 developments on his MicroA1.

With regard to Cell development:

IBM DeveloperWorks (From Part 1 in a series of IBM/PS3 articles):

"The Sony PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) is the easiest and cheapest way for programmers to get their hands on the new Cell Broadband Engine (Cell BE) processor and take it for a drive. Discover what the fuss is all about, how to install Linux on the PS3, and how to get started developing for the Cell BE processor on the PS3. "

Part 3 is now available:

Programming high-performance applications on the Cell BE processor, Part 3: Meet the synergistic processing unit
here

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helge

Quote:
It's always a bit difficult what website to believe because they often get sponsored by companies. Is vgcharts.org an objective source?

Yes they are very reliable. For North America they use official NPD data and average the data provided by various leading tracking companies in Japan. It's an excellent website, the most accurate website available with regard to sales tracking within the gaming industry!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Simple enough, I'm interested in OS4, and so I'll probably
buy whatever it's running on, if I can. I don't much care
what the name of the OS is, and I don't care much what the
hardware is, as long as I can afford one.
PS3 has a lot to offer us. It would appear to have a good
bit of power, and at a lower cost than my micro motherboard. It also has a large manufacturer and a wide distribution network. I expect they will be available for a while. It also has a lot of people out there who might enjoy "discovering" a new OS that's easy and fun to use.
Personally, I haven't bought anything labeled "Sony" since the rootkit scandal, but if that's where OS4 shows up, I'll get over it.
If that's what the future holds, bring it on.

LyleHaze

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

I would buy it instantly because I want another OS4 machine and a PS3.

For more mainstream appeal it would have to offer more than just a plain OS4 installation. And everything needs to be ready for the PS3, incl. a good browser.

A retro package could be one way to market it.
Sell it with a classic bundle (say 10 great AGA games + UAE, licensing could be a problem?) and sell it below the typical PS3 game price and we are on to a winner.

If Amiga had been clever they would have used the time from 2000 to buy the rights to old classic games. It would have been cheap back then and the retro scene/market is BIG right now.

I believe OS4 on PS3 could be the biggest commercial success the Amiga have seen for many many years.

Finally it would be priceless to have easily available hardware that will be quite cheaper and cheaper over the coming years. We won't loose Amigans ever again because of lack of hardware availability.

Best regards
Troels

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LyleHaze

Quote:

LyleHaze wrote:
Simple enough, I'm interested in OS4, and so I'll probably
buy whatever it's running on, if I can. I don't much care
what the name of the OS is, and I don't care much what the
hardware is, as long as I can afford one.

Well said! I also don't care about the hardware. If the Wii, the XBOX360 or the IBM PC can run OS4, I will buy it! I think discussing which console is the best is moot cause we are happy with anything.
And if the hardware also offers other possibilities like great games (XBOX and PS3) or serious computing (IBM PC) only the better!
But one question remains and hasn't been answered yet. Amiga Inc. clearly specified how the process of licensing works. The peoples who sell or build the hardware need to ask Amiga Inc. and they need to make a deal. But this is very unrealistic for Sony or Microsoft!
That being said, I don't want to have false hopes that are not realistic anymore!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helge

From what I understand both Amiga Inc and Hyperion just want a larger piece of the cake (be that IP ownership, influence, money or whatever). Both positions look understandable to me.

But the longer this situation lasts the smaller the cake is actually going to be, so I am hopeful things gets sorted not too far in the future. It needs to be!

I'll try to contact Amiga Inc and Hyperion next week again, maybe my information is already outdated.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

It sounds a good idea at face value, the input of millions of sales would benefit OS4 no end. But there would have to be safeguards to protect the existing hardware and future projects with already considerable time and money invested in them. Protection of the OS's independence is also a consideration as well as what influence the linux and ps3 os's would have on the direction of OS4 development.
sorry if others have same opinion already posted but
this idea may require a show of hands.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Helge

From what I understand both Amiga Inc and Hyperion just want a larger piece of the cake (be that IP ownership, influence, money or whatever). Both positions look understandable to me.

In case of Hyperion it is very understandable. They have worked on the OS for a long long time and have invested loads and loads of money. I think they would agree on everything to get it out of the door and sell it to the peoples.
With Amiga Inc. it is a bit different. They have the IP ownership and own the OS (because of buyback), but they don't seem to be very interested in doing anything with it. At least they have a bad image in the community, not completely without cause if you ask me!
From an ethical POV, I hope that Hyperion will get a return for all their investments and the great risks they took! I don't care so much about Amiga Inc., but they are just a company, so they will do everything to maximise their profits out of the OS4 deal even if it means that others will go belly up. Only natural.

Quote:
But the longer this situation lasts the smaller the cake is actually going to be, so I am hopeful things gets sorted not too far in the future. It needs to be!

Very true! They need to get it out of the door quickly otherwise there won't be anybody left!
Talking about the cake, I have my concerns about the future of SAM when OS4 get's released for PS3. It will have a considerable impact on their sales, because the PS3 is much faster and not many will buy SAM anymore. Another difficult ethical question. Support a huge unethical company (Sony), or peoples from our community (ACUBE) that have the Amiga spirit and took great risks?

Quote:
I'll try to contact Amiga Inc and Hyperion next week again, maybe my information is already outdated.

Yes, please contact them! We need some positive news! Maybe you can also ask them to come back, I have noticed that the Frieden's haven't been active on this forum for some time...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swisso

I agree with you. Although the AmigaOne served its purpose as an AmigaOS4 development platform, the ambiteous AmigaOS4.0 project has been completed and OS4Depot has hit over 1400 downloadable contributions, yet Eyetech's plans for the MicroA1 with regard to the embedded market have failed due to various reasons.

Thus for me the PS3 is now by far the most viable solution as Sony has the financials and market strenght unlike a tiny company like Eyetech to weather through bad press and rivalry fiascos. In a couple of months there will be more PS3 hardware out there than all Amiga platforms combined, ranging from A1000 to A4000, but all with roughly the same configuration.

Both the PS1 and PS2 have sold well over 100 million units for the long run, it's hard to predict how this will eventually develop for the PS3.

The second most viable option seems to be the Samantha project and related products, but again primarily aimed at the embedded market and in terms of overall power not a big step upwards from the AmigaOne like the PS3 would be. I am not sure if or not the product will go through the same ordeals Eyetech and the AmigaOne have.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

I love the idea of having OS4 on the product of a company the size of Sony or some other large corporation, if only for the reason that obsessed rivals with zero concept of ethics would get squashed like a grape under the heel of a megasaurus.

What bothers me is the claim of a lack of ethics on Sony's part. I'd like to hear more about that. If the situation were on a par with HP's treatment of their Christian employees (going to court to silence Christian employees while allowing anti-Christian points of view to be openly spouted by their other employees) then I wouldn't buy one even if I did have the money/income to justify such a purchase, but I suspect that it is quite a bit less serious than that.

Even in this day and age, I wonder how many of us remaining have a Job-like tenaciousness when it comes to our integrity. Is an OS really worth so much that we would compromise our integrity in order to deal with wicked people on terms dictated by those wicked people simply because they are financially successful? There are other hardware vendors, but your integrity depends solely upon you. Once it has been polluted by compromise, can it then be purified at no, or even little, cost?

I want OS4 as much as anyone, but I want Jesus more. To non-Christians that might read, I want OS4 as much as anyone, but I want my integrity more.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

If you'd like more information, google the words
"sony rootkit".
Read a bit, and decide for yourself.

LyleHaze

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

The main criticism towards Sony seems to have been with regard to rootkit copy protection measurements and faulty batteries.

The company ended up recalling all the affected CDs and batteries, paying for damages and such costing the company dearly.

IMO companies like Royal Dutch Shell, Microsoft, Compass Group and Exxon have been involved in much more severe issues, yet people still continue to buy their gasoline and products though.

Personally I look at Sony as a whole taking into account their rich history of innovating the market, for me they have done far more good than bad. It's such a large company it's difficult to point out who was exactly responsible for their ups and lesser extend their downs.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey
Edit: Take it to PM.

Edited by ssolie on 2007/2/26 1:26:45
Edited by ssolie on 2007/2/27 22:57:27
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 5 »