Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Cost of different Amiga systems for OS4
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I thought it would be useful to list the rough expected cost of all current & coming Amiga systems for AmigaOS4:

* ?680 for a Sam440 Flex system (733MHz cpu, 512MB ram, 500GB hd) according to AmigaKit's site (excludes P&P). Out now! And runs OS4 quite nicely.

* ?950 to ?1000 is my estimate for a Sam460 system (1GHz cpu, 1-2GB ram). Might be available by October. (BTW, the fact it has an L2 cache, but Sam440 does not, means ACube expect it to be UP TO twice as fast as a Sam440, depending on the program/game.)

* ?1500 is TrevorD's very rough estimate for an AmigaOne X1000 system (1.8GHz dual-core cpu, 2GB ram, 500GB hd). Hopefully available some time this year (I'd guess not earlier than Sam460).

So we can see that the X1000 is roughly twice the price of a Sam440 system, and the Sam460 will fall roughly in the middle those two. If you can't afford the Ferrari/Lotus of Amiga-land (X1000), then there are cheaper machines that still run OS4 pretty nicely

Personally speaking I think the Sam460 will be the one most people go for, but the Sam440 is available for those looking to spend less, and the X1000 is available for those able to spend more for a top-end "premium" system.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Cost of different Amiga systems for OS4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Eh, don't get me wrong, but it was well stated that the X1000 will be sold this summer. If that means July or August, is not certain. Also remember that the initial release of the X1000 will run the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 2 customized for
the AmigaOne X1000, and according to the report, this
demonstrating of the X1000 was a great success...

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

According to the reports from the show, I think, u're not quite correct. It seems that the X1000 will be available this summer only to the new beta testers who applied to A-Eon's recent beta tester program. I hope, I'm wrong, but i think end users will not get an X1000 this summer.

regards,
nexus

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helgis
Remember that summer ends September (around)20

But anyway, only Beta testers will get it, it would seem.

@ChrisH
I believe that with any new HW release older one will be "re-priced" so the Sam440 733 will be cheaper by the time the 460 will be out (and the latter should end up being around 850/900 for a complete system).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH and all

My mistake. I could be wrong as it's still the Beta-testing of the AmigaOne X1000-hardware. My impression is that it's progressing quite well, so it might take a bit more time than expected. It's important that everything is working as perfectly as possible..

It could still be around summer for the X1000 to appear to end-users if everything is working fast and well. If that is the case, then september would seem likely. Otherwise, it could mean somewhere around october instead, depending on the remaining work...

It's easy to be frustrated to realize one has to wait a bit longer than expected, but i would say this is only an added bonus as i have already saved 12.400 NOK (which would be somewhere around 1600 Euro), so people who have already saved a lot, can keep saving if they like me want the X1000..

SAM460 can be ideal for many who can't afford the X1000, don't want to wait too long and have other needs. I for once want the X1000 for many reasons, and since i have waited this long, i can wait a little longer.

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@all

Max Tretene Said to me that he reckons the 460 board will retail for around ?600 euro.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

That's great!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

The beta testers will be getting their boards by the end of summer and if the Rev2 boards test OK, Trevor estimates that shortly before Christmas we should be able to buy the X1000. Now I'm on the lookout for someone who'd like to buy me one for a Xmas prezzie!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@OldAmigan

I understand. I suppose i have to accept that and keep saving until closer to XMas. It's not that bad, really...

Update: I read the news, and i have to say this is better anyway. To wait closer to the end of the year will allow a far greater release of the X1000, with a unique version of AmigaOS to run on the X1000. I can only guess that not only would there be plans for multicore-support, Java,
reworked Worbench and new graphic system, but there
might be possible to make a fully 64-bit version of the AmigaOS specifially for the AmigaOne X1000!

Man oh man, this is going to be awesome!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
#1 @ ChrisH
xe.com: Live rates at 2010.06.21 18:55:00 UTC 1,500.00 GBP = 2,213.02 USD
Gak!
Personally speaking I think the Sam460 will be the one most people go for...
I'm considering that! 2010-2003 = time for new one!

@ Helgis
...If that means July or August, is not certain...
+ '2 more weeks' + a year! I bought the A1-XE-G4 in May 1, 2002: it was delivered April 30, 2003; the OS4 'Pre-Release' CD came in July 2004. Excuse me if I don't get all excited about the new Amiga.
"Burn me once, shame on you! " as G.W. Bush would say!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

Well, okay...? If you say so...

- Helgis
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C Quote:
Max Tretene Said to me that he reckons the 460 board will retail for around 600 euro.

My price estimate for a complete Sam460 *system* is based upon that estimate. (Actually it could be 600 to 650 Euros, according to their web site.)

@OldAmigan Quote:
Trevor estimates that shortly before Christmas we should be able to buy the X1000.

I don't believe he said that. Someone ASKED him if it would be available "before Xmas" (i.e. "this year"), and he essentially said yes. He did NOT say "*just* before Xmas" as far as I recall (which can be easily checked on the YouTube video if someone wants to).

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/6/21 22:19:02
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DAX Quote:
I believe that with any new HW release older one will be "re-priced" so the Sam440 733 will be cheaper by the time the 460 will be out (and the latter should end up being around 850/900 for a complete system).

I see *no* reason why the 460 would be cheaper than what I stated. AmigaKit & ACube have to make a living, they are not a charity, and the 460 is a new system they have spent a lot of effort on. But I would not be completely surprised if the 460 was slightly *more* expensive than what I guessed.

The Sam440 system might get slightly reduced in price, but I doubt it will be significant. The last time I checked AmigaKit's prices for a complete system VS what the components cost, they couldn't have been making much profit anyway, and IMHO they should have been charging *more*...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

Seems to still be a lot of confusions around when it will be released, but i would say keep saving those money. More money you have saved, more easier it will be to get a great AmigaOne X1000 system at last.

- Helgis
Go to top

Register To Post