Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Undelete Options using JXFileSystem4 4.34
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Greetings all...

I think in one post some time again I said if you need to undelete something you shouldn't be using a computer... LOL well I still maintain that but it appears even if you're experienced you can still make errors with slight of hand...

Now, because I'm so experienced I disabled the sanity check in DirOp after selecting something to delete LOL

What has happened is I accidently left my finger on the left mouse button and select 2 directories instead of 1... and in doing so have err deleted 25 gigs of other material...

Its Sunday here and I've got a busy day ahead of me and I haven't got time to trial and error software etc...

and yes you've guessed it, I format with NORECYCLED as an option...

PartitionWizard reports on 6 (DH6:)

sii0680ide.device unit 3 sectors 2,016-234,441,647
blocks 234,439.632 Block size 512
Filesystem: JXFileSystem 4.34 (26.3.2009)
Volume name: 6
111 GB 84 CG used 27 GB free 75% full

Any operation I try at all returns not a valid DOS disk

yes it is a card that allows me to run my older ide drives via the pci in the sam flex from my old AmigaOne and yes, it is a whole drive not partitioned...

is there a SFSundelete path? I just don't have time today and I'm willing to listen to ideas but I'd like to hear if someone has actually gone through this?

cheers!

I'm off to tidy up now... I was in process of backing up all my partitions to DVD... I've burnt 25 so far... so you can imagine the irony here... bugger it all...

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Re: Undelete Options using JXFileSystem4 4.34
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I think you need one of these.....
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/prod ... freeagent/freeagent_desk/

I have a 500GB one that works a treat on my SAM's

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@colinw

Ah, you are addressing my backup choices? great, just what I wanted to hear LOL

Even though of course 4.4 gigs isn't a lot, at least if you lose one DVD you lose part of your media... a 500 gig back up can still die eventually... If I went that way I'd need two of these... which incidently isn't a stupid idea anyway...

I have more than 500 gigs on DVDs... yes I know about 1T plus options...

Anyway, lets just please try and recover this directory...

to elaborate

the full path to the deleted dir would be

DH6:Other/yip2

I was in a hurry and just finished transferring the files in yip to one of my SATA partitions to burn to a DVD, I decided to click up a directory select yip (which was empty) and delete it... I accidently selected yip2 below it as well...

The other annoying thing is, I can't recall what was in yip2... heh

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

on JFX partitions, if you show the hidden files, you have a drawer named .recycled. There you will find your deleted files

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ricossa

Ummm, not if your drives are formatted with the NORECYCLED as stated in the original post

I choose to live without this convienence simply because I found having this directory slows (and in some cases severely) deleting and moving and copying operations... many times I'd have to enter the actual hidden directory and delete its contents just so the filesystem would carry on...

Never understood why it happened (related to rollover max perhaps?) and simply worked around it...

It doesn't look good I'll probably have to do all the hardwork myself when I have time... I won't be touching DH6 in the meantime anyway... it was full of storage at the time and I was just beginning to relocate its files...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

Why not copy all the files over to an FFS volume and then undelete from there?

Sorry, it seemed just as useful than the other suggestions you've had.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I think just one USB backup drive would have been
quite enough considering....

1) You don't have any backups at all.

2) You disabled the warning requester in DirOpus.

3) You also selected 2 directories instead of 1
and in doing so have deleted 25 gigs of data.

4) You used a filesystem that currently has no recovery tools.

5) You deliberately formatted with NORECYCLED option so there are no backups of deleted files.

I'd love to help you, but I just don't know what else to
say or do for you, seeing that you intensionally created this entire disaster by doing everything possible to lose data,
and to make doubly sure that it is impossible to ever get any of your stuff back.

Sorry, but you can't un-cook an egg....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@colinw

LOL

What the hell is wrong with you people, if you don't know you don't know you don't have to go down your own warped path giving opinions about prevention...

Like I said I had an accident and I'm not even that worried about it... but instead of doing what I normally do and sort it out myself I thought I'd drop a line out there...

I think some of you like talking just for the hell of it... I simply want to know if anyone has struck this and if they managed to reverse the process...

Please colinw, stay out of any of my future threads...

@tonyw

nod, you don't say... good for a bloody laugh though...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

Slayer wrote:
@colinw

LOL

What the hell is wrong with you people, if you don't know you don't know you don't have to go down your own warped path giving opinions about prevention...

Like I said I had an accident and I'm not even that worried about it... but instead of doing what I normally do and sort it out myself I thought I'd drop a line out there...

I think some of you like talking just for the hell of it... I simply want to know if anyone has struck this and if they managed to reverse the process...

Please colinw, stay out of any of my future threads...

LOL! ... short and straight answer ...

sorry but theres nothing you can do to get back your data.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Slayer

Maybe you have to keep your partition untouched and wait long enough somebody will make recovery tools for JXFS in future.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:

Framiga wrote:
@Slayer

LOL! ... short and straight answer ...

sorry but theres nothing you can do to get back your data.

That had crossed my mind but I might wait till the author happen by... unless his filesystem completely removes the headers of the files and only relies on moving the actual file into the .recycle dir there should be a way to detect them...

Which moves me to another idea... can we perhaps have 2 different types of recycle dir? ie the one I envision only remembers the last delete operation (I'm not sure if it can be tracked like this because obviously you'd want to include ALL of the files in the last delete)... this way it will never get clogged up... just a thought... heh

Hmmm, perhaps we don't even have to change JXFileSystem... we have to change DirOpus... ie prior to a delete operation it cleans the .recycle dir... so if you deleted 5 times only the last files in the 5th delete would be in the .recycle dir...

I'm the sure the obvious solution would be to fix the congestion and SLOW down in a fragmented .recycle dir... but perhaps that isn't possible...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Laugh... That's exactly what I'm going to do... for the moment anyway...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer
> Please colinw, stay out of any of my future threads...

Not the sort of reply I was expecting while just trying to help you out, so maybe this link will be more usefull than pointing you at some decent backup hardware...
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Comic mode enabled :

Try this : tell the Police you have forbidden files on your HD. They come to your home, take your HD apart and recover all your files back for you

Comic mode OFF.

Sorry, I understand your dispair, but some humor may be could help...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Send your drive to Joerg, along with an insane amount of money...maybe he could get the data back ;)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

still thinking about you slowness issue with the recycled enabled .... how many dosbuffers have you set for that partition?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer Quote:
Which moves me to another idea... can we perhaps have 2 different types of recycle dir? ie the one I envision only remembers the last delete operation (I'm not sure if it can be tracked like this because obviously you'd want to include ALL of the files in the last delete)... this way it will never get clogged up... just a thought... heh

Hmmm, perhaps we don't even have to change JXFileSystem... we have to change DirOpus... ie prior to a delete operation it cleans the .recycle dir... so if you deleted 5 times only the last files in the 5th delete would be in the .recycle dir...

I'm the sure the obvious solution would be to fix the congestion and SLOW down in a fragmented .recycle dir... but perhaps that isn't possible...

Are you saying that the recycle bin slows down JXFS? That would be amazingly bad, since I don't think SFS or PFS had that problem (they just have a list of the 30 or so last deleted files).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Neither SFS or JXFS will restore directories, they only store files & only 347 of them. The .recycle directory is for small "oops" only, not big "oops".

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Slayer

Any operation I try at all returns not a valid DOS disk...
A track/sector oriented program like 'Disk Salvage' might work, but none exist for JXFileSystem 4.34.
Not LOL, you're SOL !

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sundown

Ah indeed, I was worry about the .recycled fdrawer growing too much but as you say, thre are only 341 files in one and 344 in another, on two of my partitions.

Thanks for explaining this

So i guess Slayer has lost for good his datas.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »