Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
ASL requester improvement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It's already been discussed that the ASL filerequester is a bit of a blast from the past in OS4. I don't hold my breath for a complete rehaul any time soon but I guess two small improvements would not be hard to implement:

1. Putting a Create Drawer button in the requester area (not just in the menu).
2. Highlighting the text "Rename_Me" when you create a new drawer. You want to enter a new name and will replace the text anyway, so why not make the user's life easier?

Go to top
Re: ASL requester improvement
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Quote:

1. Putting a Create Drawer button in the requester area (not just in the menu).

I can live with it the way it it, but having a button would be better.

Quote:
2. Highlighting the text "Rename_Me" when you create a new drawer. You want to enter a new name and will replace the text anyway, so why not make the user's life easier?

I certainly agree with that one, of course it needs renaming so having it already highlighted would be very useful - and it shouldn't be rocket science for the developers to do it.

Let's hope these ideas especially number 2 make it into a future update.

Bill.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I think you'll find that 2) has been solved in the next update. 1), however, hasn't, and I don't personally think it's the correct place for a button with this functionality.

As it's a filerequester, it's primary role is to select files. General file handling has been added just for convenience, but to put it in the main interface is wrong IMO.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

I think you'll find that 2) has been solved in the next update.

Nice

Quote:

1), however, hasn't, and I don't personally think it's the correct place for a button with this functionality.

I can live with that, it would be nice to have an easier way to create a drawer - like typing the name of the drawer for example and if not already exisitng then create it. But it is not that important. The current way works, I just thought Trixie had a nice idea.

1 out of 2 ain't bad

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

I can live with that, it would be nice to have an easier way to create a drawer - like typing the name of the drawer for example and if not already exisitng then create it.

This functionality already exists and AFAIK is as old as asl.library. Just type the name in the "Drawer" field and if it doesn't exist then you will get a requester asking if you want to create it (select "Create" to create the drawer otherwise select "Cancel").

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@BillE

[quote]
This functionality already exists and AFAIK is as old as asl.library. Just type the name in the "Drawer" field and if it doesn't exist then you will get a requester asking if you want to create it (select "Create" to create the drawer otherwise select "Cancel").

I just tried and get a requester with no Create option but,
Retry, Assign, Mount or Cancel.

It would be nice if Create was added to that list.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:

IIRC the create functionality only works with save requesters (why would you want to create a drawer automatically when loading files?), and you need to enter the entire path of course.

@Rigo

Have the different colours for load and save requesters returned?

Chris

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

I think you'll find that 2) has been solved in the next update.

Cool! Glad to hear that!

Quote:

1), however, hasn't, and I don't personally think it's the correct place for a button with this functionality. As it's a filerequester, it's primary role is to select files. General file handling has been added just for convenience, but to put it in the main interface is wrong IMO.

If you look at other OSes, a Create Drawer button is commonly found in file requesters. Surely there is a reason why the OS designers do that?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I would like to see user defineable buttons in ASL requesters where you can put the most important assigns for quick access. Like "pics:", "music:" and "movies:" only. (Assigns contains two kinds of stuff usually. Something which apps need to find their data but users don't need those. And the ones user has defined for himself.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
(Assigns contains two kinds of stuff usually. Something which apps need to find their data but users don't need those. And the ones user has defined for himself.)

Perhaps a suggestion for new OS feature should be "hidden assigns". Work like normal assigns, but don't show up in file requesters (kinda like PIPE: ).

From an implementation POV they may need to be non-listable and/or non-lockable, however I don't know how the existing assigns are implemented so there amy be an easier and more compatible way.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

I don't think a New Drawer button is necessary at all. It's in the menu, it has the same keyboard shortcut as Workbench itself for making new drawers, and I personally anyway don't like the mess of buttons that are in the file requesters on other OSes, or on the various ASL replacement requesters on the Amiga. True, the ASL ones need a bit of work, but I still prefer them to the Windows ones.

I would like to see a different colour for saving requesters though, maybe not black but something a bit more subtle. And of course, the New Drawer test should be highlighted for renaming, but that's been taken care of already.

Can't wait for this 4.1 update!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Daedalus
I believe that the button, while not necessary, would be a familiar "thing" for new comers.
After the settlement Hyperion should start thinking about getting some users back, and should give these people (with "brains fried" after years of windows usage) some familiar tools.
Veterans can ignore them of course ;)

But alas, it's not vital for the next update.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@DAX

Quote:

I believe that the button, while not necessary, would be a familiar "thing" for new comers.

That's exactly the way of thinking we should adopt when discussing further OS updates. Long years in Amigaworld will make you think a certain way - such as, "when I need to create a new drawer in a filerequester, I go to the menu". Now, a person never kissed by AmigaOS before will don't even EXPECT a menu in a filerequester!

In other words, the fact that we Amigans do certain things a certain way does not necessarily mean that we do it the right (= intuitive) way. As the developments in other OSes show, users' approach to computer interfaces has changed, while AmigaOS has not. Certain UI techniques and metaphors simply show their age.

As for Daedalus' comment: there is really no need for clutter if the requester is designed properly. By the way, have you noticed that in the current ASL filerequester, the buttons "Volumes" and "Parent" are in line with "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, contrary to the logic of proper GUI design? The buttons refer to different types of function so they should be neither grouped together nor put in the same place.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

I would like to have a clone of "magicASL" for os4. it has some good features that the asl requester needs.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

> IIRC the create functionality only works with save requesters

Good point. I just picked any old requester to try and it was a Load requester. I see that the Create option does indeed work for a Save requester.

So the feature IS already there

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

You would only get that popup if you entered a non existant VOLUME name. Since you can'y create a volume (with formating drives etc) it doesn't make sense. Mount or asign would be the equivalents of create.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

Quote:

trixie wrote:

In other words, the fact that we Amigans do certain things a certain way does not necessarily mean that we do it the right (= intuitive) way. As the developments in other OSes show, users' approach to computer interfaces has changed, while AmigaOS has not. Certain UI techniques and metaphors simply show their age.

Nonsense - the "Amiga way" is what keeps this platform alive, change it and the only reasons left to stick with Amiga are gone.

Quote:

As for Daedalus' comment: there is really no need for clutter if the requester is designed properly. By the way, have you noticed that in the current ASL filerequester, the buttons "Volumes" and "Parent" are in line with "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, contrary to the logic of proper GUI design? The buttons refer to different types of function so they should be neither grouped together nor put in the same place.

Again - utter nonsense - it is perfectly in line with how *amiga* requesters work.

Geh, it really ticks me off when I see comments like the above.

-- kolla
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

So the feature IS already there

As long as the developer remembers to open it in SAVE mode when it's a save requester. I just came across an example where this hadn't been done!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kolla

Quote:

Nonsense - the "Amiga way" is what keeps this platform alive, change it and the only reasons left to stick with Amiga are gone.

I will gladly embark on a discussion with you as soon as you present arguments instead of ideology.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have just one wish: don't ever block the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons from working.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »