Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Anonymous
The future of AmigaOS?
Could be running on one of these?

http://beagleboard.org/

149 dollars.

Product Details

The USB-powered Beagle Board is a low-cost, fan-less single board computer that unleashes laptop-like performance and expandability without the bulk, expense, or noise of typical desktop machines.
OMAP3530 processor highlights: Over 1,200 Dhrystone MIPS using the superscalar ARM Cortex-A8 with highly accurate branch prediction and 256KB L2 cache running at up to 600MHz

OpenGL? ES 2.0 capable 2D/3D graphics accelerator capable of rendering 10 million polygons per second
HD video capable TMS320C64x+ DSP for versatile signal processing at up to 430MHz

USB power via complete chip-set with minimal additional power-consuming logic

Expansion capability and power options to satisfy your imagination:DVI-D for connecting digital computer monitors

Compatibility with a huge collection of USB peripherals including hubs, keyboards, mice, WiFi, Bluetooth, web cameras, and much more

MMC+/SD/SDIO interface for memory or wireless connectivity
S-Video out for connecting your NTSC or PAL television or wearable visor
Stereo audio in and out for a microphone and headphones or speakers
Power via typical USB chargers for cell phones from your laptop, from an automobile adapter, from batteries, or even from a solar backpack

Well, ok, but it ISN'T x86

Go to top
Re: The future of AmigaOS?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DaveP

Somehow I think Hyperion have their sights set a bit higher.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

I hope so too.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DaveP

Oh no ! Not again !

Yes, the Beagle board is fun, nice, cheap but ... I don't fully understand the love for this board. It has no Ethernet port, low storage capacity, ...

What would be the usage of such a board ?

To answer your question : "Could be running on one of these?". Yes, you can run Linux on it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@corto

...and - of course - the "natural" OS for this kind of device: There's an experimental port of RiscOS for the Beagle board.

http://www.iconbar.com/articles/RISC_ ... w_hardware/index1233.html

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Anonymous
@corto

LOL

"Compatibility with a huge collection of USB peripherals including hubs, keyboards, mice, WiFi, Bluetooth, web cameras, and much more"

There is room in the market for cheap assed low range (instead of expensive assed low range) and expensive assed high range.

Oh, and next time, get out of bed on the other side ;)

I run a full ubuntu distro off a 4gb sd card. So, limited, sure. By the imagination.

Go to top
Anonymous
@cha05e90

Quote:

...and - of course - the "natural" OS for this kind of device: There's an experimental port of RiscOS for the Beagle board.

And the natural OS for a Sam is?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Errrr, ahhhh, oMAP3530 you say????

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dont be alarmed i just think this is suited best under too hot:)

Edited by magic on 2009/11/9 16:42:06
Go to top
Anonymous
@magic

Why?

DaveP.

Admin.

;)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@DaveP

So you seriously think the Beagle would be an ideal candidate for AmigaOS 4?

Oh, I can hear the screams now :)

Simon

Admin :P

Go to top
Anonymous
@Rigo

If the Sam is, this is ;)

DaveP

Admin.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Allright enoungh with the admin allready! I need a holiday

Im getting grumpyer because im nearly 1 year older:(

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
magic wrote:

Im getting grumpyer because im nearly 1 year older

Well, I heard Amiga can help with that, both kinds!!!!

Can't hurt!

So, did it just get "Too Hot...."? Hehehe.

And a vacation is good too.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Rigo wrote:

So you seriously think the Beagle would be an ideal candidate for AmigaOS 4?

Oh, I can hear the screams now

Hi Rigo,

Here is one exceptional thing that may happen.

If it sells in very high numbers, they may introduce Beagle Board II. Imagine, close to 1 GHz, 1 Gig of ram, passively cooled, a few more features, AND a price of $249 US!!!!!!!

It would be very hard to ignore that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DaveP

Atheist is rite

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist
And then (perhaps) a year or two down the line Intel release something which beats the living cr*p out of ARM (Atom is just a first step), and then ARMs dreams of breaking into new markets fades as quickly as they appeared... Well, I just wouldn't bet OS4's future on a major monopolist loosing their umm monopoly. Especially since PPC already tried, but Intel was able to out-spend them for the desktop. :-/

(P.S. I'm not saying that PPC is dead on the desktop, but I doubt that ARM is any better in the long run. If we change CPU family, then IMHO we should change to x86... Which Hyperion have said won't happen at the moment.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Anonymous
@pritamsingh98

Can you say why? Or are you just voting for his opinion? ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DaveP Quote:
OMAP3530 processor highlights: Over 1,200 Dhrystone MIPS using the superscalar ARM Cortex-A8 with highly accurate branch prediction and 256KB L2 cache running at up to 600MHz

This CPU doesn't seem to be any more powerful (per MHz) than the Sam's low-end/embedded PPC cpu, and in fact slower than Sam due to the lower MHz:
Hammer wrote: Quote:
PowerPC 440 @ 667 MHz yields ~1334 DMIPS. 2.0 DMIPS/Mhz. For integer op per cycle, this CPU is not that bad.

And there are MUCH faster/better PPC cpus available:
Quote:
PowerPC 7448 @ 1.7GHz yields ~3900 DMIPS. 2.2 DMIPS/Mhz.
PowerPC 970 @ 1.8GHz yields ~5220 DMIPS. 2.9 DMIPS/Mhz. It's a pity that this CPU core was abandoned by Apple.

DaveP wrote: Quote:
149 dollars.

The price is certainly great (versus 570 dollars for a Sam440 mobo), and AmigaOS would probably run pretty well off a 4GB memory card, with 256MB of RAM... but I'm not sure I'd want to live without an ethernet port, nor my lightning-fast 500GB SATA HD, nor a DVD writer! And I'm sure some people would miss the lack of a PCI slot, so no Radeon gfx-cards, Catweasel, Soundblaster, etc.

If there was a "high-end Beagleboard aimed at the desktop" then that would probably negate most of my technical objections. (Except for the fact that Hyperion would have to write a high-performance (JIT) PPC emulator for ARM, if we were to keep all our software.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Anonymous
@ChrisH

Quote:

This CPU doesn't seem to be any more powerful (per MHz) than the Sam's low-end/embedded PPC cpu, and in fact slower than Sam due to the lower MHz:

See later comments. I don't see that as a strength or weakness.

Quote:

The price is certainly great (versus 570 dollars for a Sam440 mobo), and AmigaOS would probably run pretty well off a 4GB memory card, with 256MB of RAM... but I'm not sure I'd want to live without an ethernet port, nor my lightning-fast 500GB SATA HD, nor a DVD writer! And I'm sure some people would miss the lack of a PCI slot, so no Radeon gfx-cards, Catweasel, Soundblaster, etc.

Thats why market research is a happy useful thing. You get statistics rather than one man's personal preference. You get to see which quartile that opinion is really in and emphasise or de-emphasise it accordingly.

Quote:

If there was a "high-end Beagleboard aimed at the desktop" then that would probably negate most of my technical objections. (Except for the fact that Hyperion would have to write a high-performance (JIT) PPC emulator for ARM, if we were to keep all our software.)

Your objections are only as useful as the quartile they are in. But, lacking any semi objective market research, we don't know.

Most AmigaOS4.0 software still has the source code available for it, so I don't know that "all" is a valid statement. Some, perhaps.

Can you tell me what your technical objections are? I don't actually see any?!?

Go to top

Register To Post