Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Soooo many problems with Roadshow
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi,

From the moment I started using the A1, the biggest disappointment has been the TCP/IP stack. It's the worst I've ever used, worse even than Windows ME. Although I get faster download speeds than my A1200 or my WinME laptop, its other bugs more than compensate.

It drops the line. It pretends to go online but actually doesn't (a trick straight out of Windows). It can't manage an even number of connections (i.e., when it drops the line, if I reconnect it pretends to go on line but actually isn't and I have to disconnect and reconnect again).

Most annoyingly, I cannot upload files of more than 2MBs or so. I leave it uploading, only to come back and find that Roadshow has given up and dropped the connection.

Does anyone know of any fixes available?

Go to top
Re: Soooo many problems with Roadshow
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw
Sounds more like a modem DRIVER issue, than Roadshow itself. Some other people have report it works great with some modems & not others. So the solution is to buy a different modem... (or get broadband, but presumably you can't)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

I haven't had any of these troubles, but then, I have never used dial up with my A1. You should be able to get broadband for a reasonable price, and it's worth it. If you don't really want the extra speed (which I think is worth it), get one of the lowest cost sub megabit plans. There's plenty of choice out there, particularly in Auckland.

I feel sorry for rural internet users because they have a choice between an expensive satellite connection, or slow dial-up (in some cases their phone line can't even support 56k). I'm surprised that there is little interest in setting up long range wifi links as an alternative to satellite.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@daveyw
(or get broadband, but presumably you can't)

If daveyw is in Auckland, then he has a pretty big selection of options from DSL through to 3g data.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@daveyw

What I don't understand is why people blame the software. In almost every case an individual has problems it's modem related and or inexperience

Whenever I am in this situation I simply find out more information and learn and try again, try again etc, if you want something to work straight out of the box every single time with everything in your life you are always going to be disappointed...

Roadshow on my A1 and now my SAM works flawlessly... I also upgraded the firmware in my modem last month, had a few problems but it was because some settings were default Australian, logged into the html pages of the modem changed some settings and away we go...

I generally download 10 files at a time ranging from 50k-100k a second...

I sometimes pay over $400 a month for my internet... but generally its around $300.00.

I don't have alot of sympathy for people who don't want to pay for services, if I was in that situation I simply wouldn't bother...

errr, enough preaching... do you want to give us more infomation? modem/router type? are you dialup or adsl etc?

if adsl did you get all the information from your provider and have you checked if the adsl modem/router settings are set correctly? Sometimes some settings are similair but not precise, it'll work but not quite right, you need to select the precise one...

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@daveyw

If you are using dial up - I had to recently when my router packed in - then try using the a1serial.device from OS4.0. The one in OS4.1 seems broken and does cut out after a few minutes online. Using the older device worked for me.

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Hi me too had to switch to an older version of a1serial.device (a1serial.device 51.11 (26-12-2005)
), 'cos ity closed me coneection in couple of minutes :-/

Maybe the MODEM InitString is wrong or can help too sometimes (check which one is used under windows or by trial/error).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

Holy crap, how much a month? What sort of speed and allowances?

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@acefnq

Indeed, very expensive. I pay 10$ per month for 1mb unlimited ADSL and it's pretty enough for me for anythink.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

which serial port is your modem connected to? there was a point when debug output from ser0: would ineterfer with a modem, switch it to ser1: if it isn't allready.

Otherwise. I had a long period of good operation with my original modem, but the backup modem I used whilst waiting for my router arrived was eratic to say the least. (my first was killed by lightning) Since thenI've been on broadband with no troubles whatsoever.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

Quote:

acefnq wrote:
@Slayer

Holy crap, how much a month? What sort of speed and allowances?

Cheers
ace

Here in NZ will have always had to pay for upload and download data. I doubt people for example in the USA ever had too... and I do believe it is coming though? gee... how unfortunate...

I pay $100 a month for a connection and 30 gigs traffic... after this expires instead of opting to drop down to 64k for the rest of the month I pay $2 an additional gig at the normal full speed etc...

That is why I am never very sympathic towards other peoples situations, being an Amiga User from 1986 and never any other cpu I have spent probably more money on this machine and bbs/internet data etc than most people would on there modern day mortgage... and I'm not joking :p

I have a modest income but no other vices... I pay for everything... amen

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@daveyw

Thanks for the info. I am using on dial-up, using a US Robotics 3-Com modem on A1/OS 4.0.

Yes, I live in Auckland. I live 100 metre from the main road in Henderson (Lincoln Road) but, incredibly, broadband is not available where I live.

I don't want to get OT with my rant about what a Third World Country New Zealand is, but suffice to say as much as I would like broadband, I can't get it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Quote:

daveyw wrote:
@daveyw

Thanks for the info. I am using on dial-up, using a US Robotics 3-Com modem on A1/OS 4.0.

Yes, I live in Auckland. I live 100 metre from the main road in Henderson (Lincoln Road) but, incredibly, broadband is not available where I live.

Have you ever had a look at wireless options? Vodafone and Telecom are a little pricey, but you're in Auckland, so there's also Woosh.

For the record, I live out in suburbia, and I have broadband access. It's not as good as I'd like, but work is underway to improve it.

Quote:
I don't want to get OT with my rant about what a Third World Country New Zealand is, but suffice to say as much as I would like broadband, I can't get it.

Yeah, NZ is such a third world country that I decided to return to here from Canada (which is a nice place, BTW). Here we have really have huge national issues such as whether or not our police force should be allowed to have tasers*, or whether our health minister's attire conflicts with what he's saying about swine flu. Why, just last night I was sitting in a warm restaurant with glass of wine in hand with the aroma of an amazing dish whetting my appetite. Looking out across the harbour at the lights of Wellington in the distance glistening off the sea, I thought to myself, "Man, this lifestyle really sucks."

Then there's the sorry state of TV here, I mean, only 13 channels of free to air TV on freeview satellite? You'd think that they're trying to force us into paying for sky TV or cable (where it's available). I'm not paying for Sky TV when they don't have cool channels like TBS that have awesome dubbing of foul language ("let's get the block out of here!") and allows you to watch the same movie three times back to back three nights in a row. And how can you be guaranteed that there won't be something good on TV when you don't have a channel that shows reruns of "murder she wrote" all afternoon every day, just like all those lucky Canadians who subscribe to Rogers cable.

Will first world countries please send us aid to rescue us from our plight.

Hans

* Police in NZ are mostly don't wear flak jackets or carry guns.

Edited by Hans on 2009/5/12 0:44:23
Edited by Hans on 2009/5/12 1:21:16
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

LOL that was a good read there Hans

I wouldn't even bother trying to convey how good life is in NZ to anyone from somewhere else personally I don't want anybody to live here, they are just taking our space!

I encourage people to move otherseas and discourage anyone to come here... I am a man that sees consequences not immediate benefits...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer

Uh, good point. In that case, I'd like to point out that I had to wash a cup by hand last week because the dishwasher was too full. You know your country's going down the toilet when you have to wash a cup by hand, yourself.

Back on topic. It looks like modem support is suffering from the fact that so few people still use these devices. Unfortunately I see no solution to this, other than to collect all the tips that people have, and putting them in one place.

The only suggestion that I can think of is to have a look at the modem control strings and settings included in MiamiDX, or the modem's manual; maybe there's an entry specific to your modem that could be tried. Every modem is slightly different, even if they all use the "same" AT command set. If you've got call waiting, or call minder, don't forget the prefix for disabling it while your online (I doubt that Davey forgot about this, but it's worth mentioning).

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Reverting to a1serial.device version 51.11 solves dialup modem problems for most ?A1 users. I think it's the version that came with OS4pre4 but I'm not sure. Every time a new version has been relesed since then (OS4 Final, OS4.1 etc.) I have tried the new version but had to revert to the older v 51.11 for my dialup modem. Most notable symptom of newer version shortcomings is the inability to complete large uploads or send messages with large attachments.
I've complained about this on various forums and in the OS4 mailing list every time a new version of OS4.x is released but nothing gets done.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Just repeating on this website what I've written to you before on other websites, just to be consistent...
As you know, I've used OS4 with serial dialup since the 1st day in 2004.
I use OS4 with:
a1serial.device 52.4 (11/23/2007)
from OS4 final.

Although I will admit that serial dialup was not and is not "optimized", I have none of the issues you describe.
In fact, my speed increased from years of averaging about 1800 cps (poor connecion) to 2600 cps with the improvements made to a1serial.device.
I also have never had any failures with uploading files, as others have reported.
(same hardware as you have, as you know)

All modems are not equal, and I still lean towards all issues being reported being modem related. I wish you could try one of the two modems I have reported on, to confirm this, but...oh well...

Added for reference the last 2 threads of MANY where we have discussed modems:
OS 4.1 Problems (Some resolved)
Internet connection under OS4 - almost there!!!!

Surely there must be people with old unused modems that match one of mine that I constantly write about.

Best Data Smart One 33.6 Plug&play
SupraFaxModem 14,000/28,800

If someone could send you one these...my offer still stands.

In that case I would send you all of my settings that DO work and we can settle this once and for all.

Edited by number6 on 2009/5/12 16:15:32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6
Quote:

number6 wrote:
Surely there must be people with old unused modems that match one of mine that I constantly write about.

Best Data Smart One 33.6 Plug&play
SupraFaxModem 14,000/28,800

If someone could send you one these...my offer still stands.

In that case I would send you all of my settings that DO work and we can settle this once and for all.

From what I have seen, most of the people experiencing these problems are using more up-to-date 56k modems. I purchased a "Zoom" modem about 6 months ago and it has the same problems if I use the newer a1serial.device. It would make more sense to me if the a1serial.device programmer tested the device with a (one or more) 56k modem and fixed it to work with curently available modems. I know you're happy with the optimizations that increased the throughput with your modem but I don't think dialup users should be forced to hunt for old modems in order to get online. The current solution for people experiencing this problem seems to be to try one of the modems you suggest or revert to an older a1serial.device.

Since one of the IDE busses on my ?A1 has failed, I've ordered a SAM Flex system. Therefore, I'm not that concerned about the serial issues with my ?A1 because the older serial device works well. However, the first thing I will do when I get my SAM is to connect to the Internet to be sure it works properly with a 56k modem. If not, I'll report it in Amiga forums and return it immediately.

More on topic; I think this thread should be "modem/serial problems" since I don't think this is a RoadShow TCP/IP problem at all. Hopefully, the original poster has gotten enough hints to get his Internet connection working.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw
Personally, I don't think your problem is really a Roadshow problem but actually a modem/serial problem. Please let us know if any of the suggested solutions solve your problem or if you have found a solution of your own.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
From what I have seen, most of the people experiencing these problems are using more up-to-date 56k modems. I purchased a "Zoom" modem about 6 months ago and it has the same problems if I use the newer a1serial.device.

Yes. We both conclude the same on this. Older threads also back this up.

Quote:
It would make more sense to me if the a1serial.device programmer tested the device with a (one or more) 56k modem and fixed it to work with curently available modems.

I worked with the current programmer (yes, there have been more than one) for years on this.
But...unless someone sends ME other modems, I can only test what I have here, the 2 models which I already mentioned.

Quote:
know you're happy with the optimizations that increased the throughput with your modem but I don't think dialup users should be forced to hunt for old modems in order to get online.

No argument.

Quote:
The current solution for people experiencing this problem seems to be to try one of the modems you suggest or revert to an older a1serial.device.

Let's consider this somewhat official advice then, unless Hyperion tells me otherwise.

Quote:
However, the first thing I will do when I get my SAM is to connect to the Internet to be sure it works properly with a 56k modem. If not, I'll report it in Amiga forums and return it immediately.

Thank you for continuing to assist on the testing. It's pretty much down to you and me now. Frankly, it may be helpful to continue to have you test on SAM, whilst I compare vs the Micro.

Quote:
More on topic; I think this thread should be "modem/serial problems" since I don't think this is a RoadShow TCP/IP problem at all.

You'll have to trust me on this, but we went quite a bit deeper than just a1serial.device in looking at this.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »