Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SAMBA on the SAM
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My IP address query from yesterday came about as a result of me following the SAMBA idiots guide;

http://homepages.tesco.net/michael.carrillo/amigasamba/index.html

I've followed these instructions and have now reached the point whereby my PC can ping my Amiga and vice versa. Brillant

2 queries though;

1. This guide states, at the stage "testing your connections":

"Finally, while you have a shell open, enter Status at the prompt (return) within the list that appears the words nmbd should be listed somewhere. If not check and double check your user-startup sequence."

I have done this and do not see nmbd. I have checked, double checked and tripple checked my user-startup sequence and can not see anything missing as per the guide. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. I keep getting annoying Network log output dos windows saying "Server on port netbios-ns (137) is looping (1500 requests this minute alone) and has been disabled for a while", followed by "Server on port netbios-ns(137) has been enabled again"

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: SAMBA on the SAM
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tommo1975

Off the top of my head, no, I haven't got a clue why this is happening. The mind boggles at the mo. I have to re-install Samba this weekend, I'll see if something has changed.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tommo1975

The netbios-ns message comes because nmbd is not running. Windows seems to flood a malfunctioning computer with requests.

Nmbd usually fails to run if it cannot write its log file. Use SWAT in extended view mode to check if all configured paths do actually exist (extended view also shows default values which are not written to smb.conf).

Also check the log files for interesting messages. Usually the log files contain useful hints.

And don't blindly believe an idiot's guide if you aren't an idiot.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

I restored my Amiga to the pre-Samba state (deleted the Samba folder, copied across Services and Servers from the OS4.1 CD) and started again, this time trying this guide:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/feature ... ?op=r&rev_id=154&cat_id=4

exactly the same result.

There are no log files at all in the Samba/log draw that is on my machine.

Trying to enter http://localhost:901 in OWB just results in "Loading http://localhost:901/ failed" message.

"Use SWAT in extended view mode to check if all configured paths do actually exist (extended view also shows default values which are not written to smb.conf)".

I'm afraid I don't know how to use SWAT in extended mode

I seem to be hitting a brick wall with Samba, tis very frustrating!!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tommo1975

Maybe you should post your exact Roadshow and Samba settings - someone might identify your problem (if it is setting related...).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
By Jolly I may have cracked it!!!!

I tried a 3rd time to set up Samba ( you see I don't give up easily!), following the Samba Idiots guide again.

2 things I did differently which I may not have done 1st time;

1. I didn't install it on my home drive (called Amiga OS4) but instead tried Programs. The difference being the space (or lack of in the name). Not sure if this could make a difference?

2. The netbiois name for my machine in the smb.conf file may not have matched the name I gave the machine when setting up the Hosts in Internet Prefs.

One of these two items has corrected the problem - no more annoying messages appearing and when I type Status I see nmbd listed

My PC also see's the SAM on the network - yippee! However I am having some trouble with the PC being able to access the Amiga at this point, but I am busy reading through the rest of the idiots guide so a solution should come to be soon enough!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

I'm playing with full Samba at the moment. It installed easily, and Mikey_C's guide was perfect, but I can only access my shares with smbclient .. is there a way to mount it as an AmigaDOS volume? That would be very very handy.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

You need smbfs, it should be in Aminet or OS4Depot, there's a OS4 native version. For more convinience I use Savvy for mounting/dismounting SMB shares.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cha05e90

I get errors on SMBFS when I have more than 1 share running.. it fails to copy and removes the destination copy....

I just submitted a bug report.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc

here is the solution to your problem
http://www.jazzbaptiste.com/sambaAS.jpg

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Kicko

Thanks man, I knew you'd come through for me.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Seems like the guide is for static ips,i'm using dhcp. How do i get it to work then???

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Antique

I never got the damn thing to work with DHCP, I tried and I tried and I bloody tried again. In the end, Static was the only way.

Besides, setting the IP to static isn't too much of a chore surely?

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

Interesting, I had no problems yet having more than one share (i.e. a Windows machine and a share on a RiscOS machine etc.) active.

The only problem I have is "slowness" - so I use Envoy for connecting my Amiga systems and use smbfs only if I have to connect to not-Amigas.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@cha05e90

Like I said in the intro, which is pretty similar to what Olsen said, getting the damn thing to work is hit and miss.

Mikey C

Go to top

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
@Antique

I never got the damn thing to work with DHCP, I tried and I tried and I bloody tried again. In the end, Static was the only way.

Besides, setting the IP to static isn't too much of a chore surely?

Mikey, I am not sure, but if you ask your router's DNS server to pass clients hostnames connected via DHCP, it might work. I saw this setting on my router the other day. I am using a Dreytek Vigor2820n.

Just a thought....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Yep, I remember Olafs words - I'm glad all my three Amiga setups are able to use smbfs in MY network configuration (with static IPs!). On two of them I have a running Samba, so I can connect from other machines to the Amigas. The only issue here is the impossible connection to the only Vista machine here (my wife's Subnotebook), but hey, nothin's perfect.

And, of course, *the guide* was really helpfull - thanks a lot.

Go to top

Register To Post