Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 42

flash, Gebrochen, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
OWB 2.11 !!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ok, now that I have your attention... :)

I would like to know what features people would want to see in OWB 2.11 or future?

For me, personally, I would like to see:

-auto complete address bar
-drop down history from address bar (that is saved)
-download manager like Google Chrome or FireFox
-tabbed Browsing
-better fonts (current one is a bit wide)
-more information on network status
-memory cache for pages and images
-speed optimizations

Go to top
Re: OWB 2.11 !!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@HammerD

Speeeeeeeeed! The other items are important too, but speed optimizations would definitely be appreciated.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@HammerD

I'd just like to, again. remember you all that suggestions and bug reports can be posted at the OWB bugtracking page here:

http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissues&softwareid=1

That way the same suggestions/bugs does not have to be posted over and over again and it's easy to keep track of what is happening to the bugs and suggestions that has previously been made.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

I guess what I was after was more of a free form discussion of a wish list, rather than plunking down every single suggestion onto the OS4 depot site...

Like a brainstorming..after that, the suggestions that make sense could actually be posted there.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@HammerD

Indeed, it was just a reminder.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

I agree, it's too slow . It seems like modern browsers are quite slow on the amigaone platform though as mozilla firefox in linux isn't exactly snappy either .

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Ill send my evil twin dogs of hell after you :)
All the suggestions for OWB 2.11 are just mad. Ofcourse if you want all the stuff in future versions then im with you. For me personal download/upload is most missing but that will come sooner or later. Right now im just happy what Joerg does and dont want to disturb him :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

Quote:
-better fonts (current one is a bit wide)
It's configurable with the XPDI and YDPI tooltypes. The correct values would be 72 for both, but since that was too small for most users the default XDPI is currently 80.

Quote:
-memory cache for pages and images
It has a memory cache. It just uses constants (256 MB total RAM, some percent of that are used for the cache size) unless specific code for each OS is added, the next AmigaOS 4.x version will use the correct size.

Quote:
-speed optimizations
You should test OWB on other systems
The AmigaOS 4.x port is very fast already, rendering is probably around 10 times faster on average than on Linux. It's very unlikely that even more noticeable speed-ups are possible.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Ok great thanks. How many network connections can it make at once? Ibrowse you can do upto 32. Can you show them like with IBrowse or tell how fast the data is being downloaded? Just a bit more info than the progress bar would be nice. :)

Otherwise OWB is great, i agree. Need a faster A1 than my Micro :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

the % of cpu usage with 2.10 version is too high also when you leave it in st.by, example with amigans home page the cpu is busy about 50-85%, owb 1.25 use cpu on the same page about 10-30% and the scroll is a lot better in this old version, however thank you very much Joerg for your hard work on Amiga OS4.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

The two things I currently miss the most are:

- Bookmarks
- A requester asking me if I really want to quit. Yes, I know, sounds silly. But I'm used to having it in IBrowse, and I can't begin to count the number of times I've accidentally hit the close gadget instead of the back arrow.

Best regards,

Niels

P.S.

- file type handling, e.g. for starting AmiPDF for a PDF file etc.

(The three things I currently miss the most ... aaarrghhh! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!)

Edited by nbache on 2008/9/24 0:11:04
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Quote:
the % of cpu usage with 2.10 version is too high also when you leave it in st.by, example with amigans home page the cpu is busy about 50-85%,
FireFox needs even more CPU time on amigans.net, partially because of X11. It's because of the "4.1"s at the top.

Quote:
owb 1.25 use cpu on the same page about 10-30% and the scroll is a lot better in this old version
Did you have the "LOWMEM" tooltype enabled in 1.25 when comparing them? If not they do something completely different:
OWB Blastoise renders the complete page into an image, which, once that's completed, of course makes everything much faster, especially scrolling since it only has to blit parts of the pre-rendered page image on the screen, but that needs several 100 MB RAM for large pages.
OWB Doduo, like all other browsers incl. the AmigaOS 4.x port of OWB Blastoise with "LOWMEM" tooltype enabled, only renders the currently visible parts of the page and when scrolling it has to render the new parts (only in the AmigaOS 4.x port, on Linux it rerenders the complete visible part even when scrolling only a single line).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

thanks for reply, is possible reduce cpu usage and improve scrolling in current OWB doduo ??

thanks

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Which one of theses words from Joerg did you not understand :

Quote:
The AmigaOS 4.x port is very fast already, rendering is probably around 10 times faster on average than on Linux. It's very unlikely that even more noticeable speed-ups are possible.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

What I would like to see implemented in next version of OWB is the file selector (like for example the one on http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=submit).
Bookmarks are another thing I'd like to see, but less priority than the file selector (I prefer complete usability first rather than cosmetic or gadget features like bookmarks or address bar autocompletion).

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Quote:
thanks for reply, is possible reduce cpu usage and improve scrolling in current OWB doduo ??

The main difference why scrolling in for instance IBrowse is smoother, is that IBrowse renders all elements which make up a webpage into videomem, and after that scrolling a page only requires blit operations to construct parts of the webpage, no CPU rendering is needed.

However when you have CSS support this is not so simple, because CSS pages can do things like alpha blending, etc. which for example is only possible to do in hardware using the new composite engine in OS4.1. A switch to Cairo was an important step, but right now since the OS4 port of Cairo is rather new, quite a few drawing operations are not yet hardware accelerated, which means quite a few things have to be rendered by the CPU instead. So as Cairo gets more hardware acceleration (hopefully in upcoming updates for 4.1), rendering of webpages can become fully hardware accelerated, which would allow for smoother scrolling.

However in my opinion the current speed of OWB is already very nice, and scrolling on simpler webpages is quite smooth on my uA1. I think that for animated content there could be some optimizations made still, because having just a few simple gif anims (like dancing bananas ) can really slow down the scrolling.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@HammerD

-Tabs! so I can open various pages simultaneously. I don't need various windows but tabs would be great.

-OS4.0 compatibility: for CSPPC OS4 owners

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Crumb

I can assure you that you need multiple windows, else many sites won't work (especially those %*$@ sites full of ads)... Also without multiple windows, web links in some forums (including this one) won't work etc...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

But OWB already has multiple windows :) Not tabs unfortunately, which makes it much easier to switch between different webpages, compared to when you have 4-5 windows open on a screen on top of each other...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

THANKS, MUCH CLEAR, i hope in new hardware accelerated version of Cairo

p.s.: when new version of DVPlayer ??

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »