Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 36 »
Re: Any altivec experts? (H.264 codec)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

Are you serious, how can you ask 750 euros just for adding some basilar menus ?
Not to mention that the majority of that code was already done (and already availible in trunk) ...

Beside that, you know still also others bugs elsewhere and some of them are even more important than the one reported in google site, it's not a mistery that not all bugs were reported there, people should pay you for any single bug even for the most obvious one ?

That's quite absurd if you ask me ..

Ok for the bounty, but a reasonable one that results in a final, really completed and bug free version

How mutch ?
I really don't know, i even don't like to speak it about those money crap, maybe collect 1000/1200 euro for fixing all can be a reasonable price for you ?...

In the past many people ported MPlayer to AmigaOS/MorphOS starting from scratch (almost for free)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I should be rich with those prices............. bah..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
Are you serious, how can you ask 750 euros just for adding some basilar menus ?
Not to mention that the majority of that code was already done (and already availible in trunk) ...

the code will need to be reformatted and reinserted, then everything has to be tested and working, there for I expect that to take a week easily.
There were also problems like audio mute; feature so there might more one-issue's to iron out.

Quote:
Beside that, you know still also others bugs elsewhere and some of them are even more important than the one reported in google site

Well then someone need to add the bugs to the bug tracker, I can't go looking for bugs in every forum out there.
Quote:
people should pay you for any single bug even for the most obvious one ?

They are not paying for bugs, they are paying for my time, it's as simple as that. You can get someone else to fix the bugs for free, I did mostly that last year.

I'm simply putting a price tag on what I think my time is worth.

Quote:
That's quite absurd if you ask me ..

Sure putting a price tag on something is absurd you are right software should be free, and time is just something people, should give away.
Quote:
Ok for the bounty, but a reasonable one that results in a final, really completed and bug free version

Sure, I'm not for paying out on things that is not fixed, what I like is realistic bounty, which includes things I know I can complete.
Quote:
In the past many people ported MPlayer to AmigaOS/MorphOS starting from scratch (almost for free)

They recompiled it, and yes some gave away their time for free, and some collected donations. It does not mean that I most give away my time.

What we are talking about here is fixes and improvements, it's not same thing as compiling something and hope it works.

On most software time estimates, it's often underestimated by a time factor of 3. I'm not saying I have done that but, I be careful to give a discounts.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

Issue 36: AmiUpdate support (1 days work) - 150 Euro.

More like half an hour at most to fill in the amiupdate database, appropriatly.

But amiupdate is largely pointeless unless you plan continuos updates and at your proposed rates I doubt anyone will afford it!

I think you are overestimating the market somewhat here. The amount you can charge is based on the amount you can sell and poeple can afford not the amount of time it takes.

People would be happy to support you with a bounty but think a little more carefully about what is needed and what can be reasonably afforded.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
But amiupdate is largely pointeless unless you plan continuos updates and at your proposed rates I doubt anyone will afford it!

I agree, but it's not what I won't, it is what people won't. What are people willing to pay for and what not.

Quote:
I think you are overestimating the market somewhat here. The amount you can charge is based on the amount you can sell and people can afford not the amount of time it takes.

LiveForIt-Mplayer has been downloaded 215 times; if everyone donated 10 euro etch, you get 2150 Euro.

If we can get 80% to donate, we have 1720 Euro.
If we can get 70% to donate, we have 1500 Euro.
If we can get 60% to donate, we have 1290 Euro.
If we can get 50% to donate, we have 1070 Euro.
If we can get 10% to donate, we have 215 Euro.

Yes, maybe 1500 Euro, is about max I can expect for a bounty. (As not everyone will donate no matter what.)

For that you get issue 26 (menus), and the FFMEG upgrade + 64bit fix.

How likely is that someone be donating to get issue 27,33,34,36 fixed?

I also like to drive around in Farari, but I can't just say to the car company that I'm willing to pay 50% for a Farari if they are willing to work 50% for free.

But let's say that any money collected above 1500, goes to fixing issue 27,33,34,36.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 14:52:00
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 14:53:17
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 14:58:35
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:01:18
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 18:42:08
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
This is the same story. I can understand if you get money for a persnal software. I can also understand if someone wants to donate you some money (1, 10 or 10000 eur doesn't) matter. But start a bounty for a program that is grown during years with work of different people.. well this is not acceptable. MPlayer has born on Morphos for first and then has been compiled (from me) on OS4. There is a lot of work from Joerg too. And now? You ask money for a bounty?? in theory you should also publish your changes to MPlayer since MPlayer is GPL.
So please return to the earth.

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
This is the same story. I can understand if you get money for a persnal software. I can also understand if someone wants to donate you some money (1, 10 or 10000 eur doesn't) matter.

This is not about selling mplayer, this about selling my time.

Quote:
But start a bounty for a program that is grown during years with work of different people.. well this is not acceptable. MPlayer has born on Morphos for first and then has been compiled (from me) on OS4.

This is true, and you have gotten donations for that work.

Mplayer is not born on MorphOS, before MorphOS version there was Linux and Windows version and OS/2 version, so that is not precise.

MorphOS developers have received donations from MorphOS community; Windows developers have received donations from Windows users.
If anyone donate to any special feature or work done MPlayerHQ people they can go there webpage.

Quote:
There is a lot of work from Joerg too.

True, and I'm sure he has reserved donations for that work.

Quote:
And now? You ask money for a bounty?? in theory you should also publish your changes to MPlayer since MPlayer is GPL.

The changes are uploaded to code.google.com, and yes if you wont to work for free that’s up to you, I have other priorities, if people do not wont pay for my time. I don't even mind if they find some who is willing to do the work for less.

https://code.google.com/p/mplayer-amigaos/source/list

I'm not asking for money for your work, I'm not selling mplayer in AmiStore as product. If you ask for money for hours you put into porting all great games you have over the years, then I see nothing wrong with that, I see nothing wrong with people donating money to you for work you put into mplayer, I see nothing wrong if you decide you like to get active again, and start working on mplayer and fix bugs and collect money for your work again. this is up to you, and I welcome it. If you do it frees up my time, so I can work on other things.

The source code is available, for anyone to use and improve, I have not locked you out, it was you who stopped working on it.

You should be saying the same thing about feanor bounty too optimize FFMEG codecs, if you really mean what your saying, Feanor is not the one who invented FFMEG, or wrote all codecs, he just someone who is willing to contribute for money.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:27:00
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:28:25
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:34:53
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:42:29
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:49:04
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 15:54:14
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 16:07:35
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
A bounty and donations are different. With donations anyone can give you money for your work. Also 10000 eur if he wants.
A bounty is something different where you ask something some money for a work and since MPlayer in this years has been changed and improved by different people this seems a bad idea (at least for me)
Yes is all regular of course but you should not ask money for something that is been worked by different people and platforms.

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thread

Whilst LiveForIts bounty prices feel a little high, we should take care to to go the other way and *expect* him to do it, as some posts give the impression they do (maybe unintentionaly) , he's done some work and may want to move on like many previous contributors have done.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt
For me it is ok to open a bounty. This time i will not do that. Somebody other can do that.

For example:
1500 Euro
+10% Bounty fee bountysource
+one time paypal fee 1,9%
+taxes maybe
are far over 2000 Euro to collect.

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
In the past, mplayer (SDL build) has taken a few hours to build from scratch and do the changes necessary (not including 64bit fixes). I'll take a look at the sources within a day or two and give it a go. Perhaps I've misjudged how long it'll take.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT

Because this time you are paying for time, I should be using to find work. If you will not then I wont spend that time now on this project now, so yes it is expensive.

Bounty idea is suggested by Antique.

Without the bounty, I'm simply going to do it after I have found a new job. I have no idea when that might be.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/14 18:13:28
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ah, I edited my post to be more diplomatic and removed the questioning :)

Edit: After talking to Kjetil, he's let me know that the 64bit changes are spread out everywhere throughout the ffmpeg code, so it could take quite a while to migrate the changes to a newer code base.

Edit2 (15th Apr): Did a diff between source on googlecode and ffmpeg 2.2.1 (I couldn't find an exact match, perhaps the source was a git/svn revision). I've seen what looked like changes for 64bit support, but then noticed they're just changes in the official source. I'll have another look later on.

Edited by MickJT on 2015/4/14 18:06:26
Edited by MickJT on 2015/4/14 18:11:42
Edited by MickJT on 2015/4/15 11:49:15
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yes i suggested the bounty. Seeing that Liveforit hasn't had the super motivation lately. And since he hasn't had a job either. I thought this might give him a boost.

How if we could collect 2000euro for the job?

And maybe start one for Allegro 5 port aswell.. same amount?

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Regarding AMIUpdate, it's very simple, I added it on SMTube and ClipGrab very easily.

1) Add a version cookie in your code
#define VERSTAG_AMIGA "\0$VER: ClipGrab 3.4.9 (31.03.2015)"
char * ver = (char *)VERSTAG_AMIGA;

2) verify that version works
> version Clipgrab FULL
ClipGrab 3.4.9 (31/03/2015)

3) adapt AutoInstall script from ClipGrab archive for your MPlayer

4) Register it in AmiUpdate database

Resized Image

Regarding the bounty, why not make a bounty with 1000€ backing ?
Your initial price seems a little bit excessive...

If this bounty occurs, contrary to feanor bounty, I hope that all Amigans will participate, not only altivec owners...

Good luck for the bounty build.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Check PM :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup
Quote:
Yes is all regular of course but you should not ask money for something that is been worked by different people and platforms.

I strongly disagree with this. Just because a project already has had a lot of work done by multiple people, does NOT somehow make new contributions worth nothing. An hour of LiveForIt's time is worth just as much to him whether he works on an existing open-source project or one of his own.

People get paid to work on open-source projects all the time. In fact, the most successful open-source projects have the financial backing of large corporations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him asking to be compensated for his time and effort.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2015/4/15 4:15:24
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveFoprit

Well...
I can get your motivation on getting payd for your work but think about:

- how much OS4 software will exists in 2015 if everyone ask money to do that?

- We are atill here if everyone making software to try to extend OS4.x usability ask money before start coding?

I'm really with you and hope you can found a nerw work ASAP! But On Amigaland plz use more "human" prices... I dunno in Norway but here in Italy there was ppls that lives with 50/60 Eur at day of salary...ok that wasnt a proof salary but who in Amigaland have such a salary for Amiga related stuffs?
So, ok if you ask to be payed for your work, but maybe do it in "free" time between looking for job and ask something lower...

Just my two cents...also looking at the whole world crisis situation...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

+1

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tuxedo
From another side, you can be sure, that if noone will pay, then there will be nothing interesting. All the more or less good projects cost money. And if we want to have something at all, we should prepare to pay, and pay big prices, as the less our base are, the higher price should be for everything, to cover time of coders, who can spend their time on something else in end (what most of they do in end when have no normal payment).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 36 »