Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
password problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
When I go to Amigans.net, the login page comes up, with my user name and the password requester filled in. But if I click the login button, I get a message that the name or password was wrong. So this time I fill them in by hand, click "remember me," and successfully log on.

The next time I want to log on, it's the same thing all over again. Why is the password requester filled in with a wrong password?

Go to top
Re: password problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This would depend on your browser, which one do you use?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart Quote:
Why is the password requester filled in with a wrong password?

Because your web browser is remembering the first password you typed in... which was apparently typed wrong. Some browsers don't update your password when you enter it again (correctly), in which case you need to delete the password stored for www.Amigans.net (how you do that depends on which browser you use).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thematic & Chris

Mostly I use mui-owb, and I don't think I tried amigans.net through Timberwolf since switching to X1000. (URL Preferences lists Netsurf, but I don't find it anywhere on this machine, aside from the AmiCygnix version!)

Now I'm curious. I'll try Timberwolf.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'll be darned, I got on with one click in Timberwolf!

I also find that I need to use Timberwolf for a few sites that won't let me on at all with mui-owb. But since switching to the X1000, I find I have to warm reboot two or three times before it will come up all the way, and I sure miss bookmarks!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart
Bookmarks (should) work in Timberwolf, but you may need Timberwolf installed on the 'right' filingsystem (FFS).

MUI-OWB has a password manager, so just open it & delete your amigans.net password(s). Then next time it should remember the password you enter.

Edited by ChrisH on 2013/12/3 10:47:27
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH
Thanks for that. I spent a lot of time fruitlessly searching for something called "password manager," but I guess you just meant go to muiowb/Conf/ and delete passwords.db.

I was hoping I would be able to just replace the bad password there with the right one -- they happened to be the same length -- so I wouldn't have to go back to looking up all my passwords, but no dice. Passwords.db is one weird-looking file!

(A few minutes later, after deleting the file) I was better off with the old password file. After signing on here and at AmigaWorld, I have a new password.db, but it's 0 bytes long, and I'd have to always enter all my usernames and passwords by hand. Fortunately, I didn't really delete the old one, and I have finally memorized my password for this site; much easier to just have to type the one in.

But I'm a bit surprised that I get a new but empty passwords.db.

Edited by kilaueabart on 2013/11/30 21:21:15
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
I spent a lot of time fruitlessly searching for something called "password manager," but I guess you just meant go to muiowb/Conf/ and delete passwords.db.
Menu: Windows->Passwords... gives you a list window where you can at least remove one saved password (or all).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache
i am using MuiOWB, and i can click on "remember me" as manny times as i want,i never see my user name & password filled in

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Not sure what to say about that, it seems to work for me (at least here on Amigans.net).

But what I was commenting on was the saved passwords from requesters on sites which make the browser prompt for login, e.g. with HTTP Auth.

The login for Amigans.net is not stored like that, but probably in a cookie.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

And yet another big mystery? Why the #%$*^@ did I never see that when I was looking for a password manager in the menus?

Time to give up?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

IBrowse does work OK, for the Amigans site.
it remembers my password (changed it recently)

Are cookies Browser specific?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
If the password is stored in a cookie, which I think it is, why not delete your cookies? - that should fix the problem

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Password window in MUI-OWB doesn't help very much; only displays the username and not the saved password.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

I deleted the cookie
IBrowse again has no problems, and indeed allso shows your user name and password filled in. This is not the case for MUIOWB as mentioned above.
When i close MuiOWB, then open it again, i do observe that my users name appears in the "Who's online list" but i am not logged in.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@JosDuchIt

It's all very mysterious.

I removed Amigans.net related lines from Windows > Passwords... Now when I call up Amigans.net, the user name and password requesters are empty. But the user name and wrong password are still in muiowb/Conf/passwords.db, a very strange-looking file indeed.

Since messing with Passwords... when I type in my username and new password, the screen refreshes with "Thank you for logging in, kilaueabart." But down below Who's Online it says "Members: 0," and I can't reply to posts. It takes a second log-in to change those matters.

I have a fairly clear but old memory of being asked "Do you want me to save this password" sometimes when entering my password at some sites. Maybe back on the SAM460, which was also distinguished in that bookmarks worked in Timberwolf?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

Actually i would delete MUIOWB and do a complete fresh reinstall as it seems your manual endeavors trying to fix your password problems have messed it up really good

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

i have beenplagued with the issue of not being able to login correctly for a long time with MuiOWB, after the website change

I reported on this in a separate thread

What you describe here is exactly what i exoperienced, worsened by the fact that logging in in the home page did not work.

To log in i first found a solution logging in twice: once in the main page then in the dedicated login page.
(that was a progress: i don't know if that was due toe some work on the site or not)
Presently i can login directly. Again i don't know if this is due to work on the site or me having changed something.

I never messed with the cookies, tiil i saw the hint to do this.
It did not help to solve the password problem.

I now did make a fully new install of MuiOWB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all reporting some tests

I logged out (you can do this in the profile page)
Closed MuiOWB
Started up again
- nothing filled in as user name or password
- user name not mentioned as online
- no possibility to post
Logged in succesfully on the main page (posting possible)
Closed MuiOWB (without logging out)
Started up again
- user name mentioned as online
- no possibility to post

So in fact not logging out does maintains you at the site as online even when closing MuiOWB
If you really go off line (power off/ reboot) and
startup again
- user name NOT mentioned as online
- no possibility to post

I did made some tests with simultaneouslu usng my other SAM
when booting & starting MUiOWB i was surprised to see i was logged in and could post

I did then close OWB on SAM 460

rebooted SAM440 opened MuiOWB
- user name mentioned as online
opening a thread
- i could post
- opening "user profile" appearance as for a login, not-hing filled in no logout possibility
closed MuiOWB rebooted SAM440 opened MuiOWB
- user name NOT mentioned as online
opening a thread
- i could post
- opening "user profile" appearance as for a login, not-hing filled in no logout possibility

Conclusion:

it seems that you can get into 2 stable sequences of MuiOWB sessions,
- one in which you can't logout
- one in which you always have to login.

It is not clear yet how you pass from one to the other.

This all is difficult to explain without looking more closely at the site's login/logout/(online) procedures

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Reinstall sounds worth a try, but I certainly won't delete the current one.

My current mui-owb does fill in many user name and password slots. Only two relatively minor problems: it won't do it for Amigans.net anymore (AmigaWorld and a number of other sites work fine; Hyperion fills in user name, but not password, and several sites work like this), and it won't remember new cases of either.

If the second problem remains with a new install, I'm much better of with what I have now.

Will report.

Kilaueabart
A1000 -> A2000 --> AOne XE --> (SAM460ex) & AmigaOne X1000 --> AmigaOne X5000
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »