Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Recommendations for KVM switches?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
folks,

i'd like to use my amiga (SAM440ep-flex) more often on a daily basis, switching between my work system and the SAM based on whatever i'm doing at the moment. so, are any of you using a KVM switch? and, more importantly, is your experience positive with respect to running OS4.1u3?

i'm looking for recommendations from folks using KVM switches in conjunction with their amiga NG systems and who feel confident recommending any. any takers?

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Re: Recommendations for KVM switches?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Not sure you can call it a recommendation, but my report here still basically stands. (Although it might work when plugged into the lower port now. Also, it is for a non-Flex Sam440, but I doubt it makes any difference.)

So basically, with a few tweaks I have been able to work-around my KVM's particular bugs, and haven't looked back .

Oh, and with Update 3 I had to disable Sam440ep_setup program from ACube, as it causes USB to drop all the time with hubs (and the KVM has a built-in hub).

I also have file sharing set-up via an FTP server on my PC & FTPMount on OS4. Also keep data files synchronised between Amiga & PC using FolderSync2 (see my home page).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

I have a 4 (PS2 and USB) port ATEN KVM , the systems are :

1.- Amiga 1200 towered with Blizzard PPC,Mediator and PS2 adaptors for mouse and keyboard.
2.- SAM flex at 800
3.- PC
4.- Chamaleon 64

Works fin, I can change the control with a combined keys in the keyboard or with the switchs on the KVM, except one problem with SAM, I need two adapters from PS2 to USB, or the keyboard don't works in the start, problems with the updates of Uboot.

Before this, I tested a DIGITUS KVM, and have serious problems, repeated letters, Shift bloqued, etc.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
One of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NTIZCG

Utterly superb, no problems whatsoever with my Sam/OS4.1. The USB is a passive pass-through, and the only switching mechanism is a physical button, so no problems with drivers either. I actually have a hub plugged on the back end of mine, and any devices switch over seemlessly, so you aren't strictly restricted to plugging only a keyboard and mouse in.

Windows 7 sometimes loses USB devices if I switch away and then back to it too quickly (usually trying again fixes this), but I haven't seen a single problem caused by it on OS4.1.

I can't recommend this highly enough, and it's a bargain at £15.

This is the same thing on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/ATEN-2-Port-Cab ... /B002DW8ZLO/ref=pd_cp_e_2 Amazingly, it's a little more expensive in the states...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

thanks for all of the replies so far. i'll update when i choose one and how it works with my setup.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It's worth pointing out that my KVM solution switches USB keyboard+mouse, other USB devices, DVI video, and analog sound (both speakers & microphone). It also supports (but does not require) external power (I can't remember if it came with one), which means it can act as a powered USB hub

It also has two physical buttons to choose between the two (the active one is lit), but you can also specify certain keyboard combinations for switching. You can also "unlink" video & audio switching, which I find very handy as I can leave music playing on OS4 when I switch to the PC (or vice versa).

As hinted at by Chris(Y), the benefit of dedicated USB ports for keyboard & mouse is that the KVM can always show a "virtual keyboard & mouse" to both machines at the same time, so it doesn't see them get dis/re-connected (which will at least introduce a delay, and might cause problems). OTOH, my KVM's virtual keyboard has a slight bug, but I could avoid that if I wanted by plugging them into the KVM's "other" USB ports.

BEWARE that whatever KVM you pick, you canNOT mix DVI & VGA on a KVM with DVI ports. It simply cannot work, due to some technical reasons. So your Sam440 & your PC must both use DVI natively (without adapters). Or else you must use a KVM with VGA ports, and use a DVI->VGA adapter. I would use a DVI KVM if possible, or else you risk a degraded video signal (especially at high resolutions).

Also beware that some KVMs do not come with the required cables (!), so you may have to purchase them separately, like I did.

Edited by ChrisH on 2011/12/27 15:41:57
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@eliyahu

I also went the way Chris suggested, even here in Germany I found this USB switch used by Chris (different label, though):

German Online Store

It is available as DVI, HDMI, VGA, PS2/USB or only USB version. It works perfectly with my SAM440mini on all updates (didn't try latest UBoot though).

Very important (and that justifies the price) is the emulation of Mouse (3 Buttons + wheel) and Keyboard. This means SAM440 still thinks it's a mouse and keyboard plugged in even if you are on Win PC. I have to use external power supplie though. Works great since years.
If you have a A4000/A1200 it will give your Amiga USB ports as you could plug in USB Keyboard+Mouse and pass the signal via PS/2...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Chris wrote:
One of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NTIZCG

Utterly superb, no problems whatsoever with my Sam/OS4.1. The USB is a passive pass-through, and the only switching mechanism is a physical button, so no problems with drivers either. I actually have a hub plugged on the back end of mine, and any devices switch over seemlessly, so you aren't strictly restricted to plugging only a keyboard and mouse in.

Windows 7 sometimes loses USB devices if I switch away and then back to it too quickly (usually trying again fixes this), but I haven't seen a single problem caused by it on OS4.1.

I can't recommend this highly enough, and it's a bargain at £15.
...Snip...

Cheers Chris, just ordered one, hope it works with the x1000* as well

*no I haven't got one...................Yet

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Im using an ATEN CS682. It's for 2 computers with usb and dvi. Only problem is that it has problems with the onboard sam ep gfx card. When using an radeonhd card it works like a charm.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
i'm looking for recommendations from folks using KVM switches in conjunction with their amiga NG systems...
Years ago, i went with a IOGEAR KVM PS2 cable set. (USB was always a 'iffy' subject) Worked great for a Dell Optiplex GX280/XP and the A1-XE/G4. However it doesn't work with the Dell GX620/VISTA.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay I've looked at that one on Amazon recommended by Chris and I have also found this which also has 4-5 stars by reviewers it comes with an assortment of cables.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Switch ... 99G/ref=pd_cp_computers_4

This one and others mentioned never seem to mention the method in which it connection it conects to the TV/Monitor which is a big oversight!

I want to connect to the HDMI port on the TV and enjoy the benefits it brings.

Surely if I connect two computers via VGA to any KVM and then run to it to the HDMI surely the quality is reduced because the host computers are sending the picture by a VGA signal.

At the moment my AmigaOne 500 connects to the TV via VGA, my Mac Mini connects through the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter and into the HDMI port of the TV.

( http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ )

Confused.

EDIT: And is DVI the same thing as HDMI? :S

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I would avoid VGA entirely. Apart from usually reducing quality, you may run into problems mixing VGA & DVI when using a KVM.

So either use VGA for both computers, or DVI for both computers, and do NOT try convertering between VGA & DVI when using a KVM.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well i have a newlink KVM on my sam440ep and my xp system and ive had no problems as it works like a charm :)

Go to top

Register To Post