Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New website launched - wiki.amigaos.net
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

Quickly following on the heels of www.amigaos.net is another site for you to feast your eyes on.

wiki.amigaos.net which can also be accessed through the main www.amigaos.net web site is a Wiki dedicated to the AmigaOS. The sole intention behind the site is to keep up to date against the very latest AmigaOS - always.

The Wiki aims to come across as a 'Dummy's Guide' of sorts, and very seldom touching on advanced topics (although that could come at a later date). It will have plenty of visual snapshots of the various interfaces, preferences and utilities that make up AmigaOS.

As of today the WIki is in early development. I visited the LAG meeting today and meet with ChrisH who kindly went through the Prefs drawer with me capturing every window and tab of AmigaOS for me.

These images have now been integrated into wiki.amigaos.net, help text will follow in due course.

You can view this work here: http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/Customising_the_Workbench.

For anyone interested in contributing towards the project, you can now better see the style, layout and consistency I am striving to achieve.

The first fundamental part of building up the Wiki is to capturing every interface of the OS. Atm I don't have access to an OS4 machine so I would really appreciate if you really would like to help with the project to start screen capturing everything!

And its dead easy to start!

1) If you haven't already get a copy of SGrab.

2) Screen capture a Commodity, Utility or any BUNDLED third-party application installed using SGrab. YOU MUST MAKE SURE THE TITLE BAR IS ACTIVE/BLUE!!!

3) Save your files locally on your hard drive and please try and adapt a suitable consistent filename convention. Ideally saving them as PNGs.

4) Go to wiki.amigaos.net and sign up an account - it takes 5 seconds. :)

5) Once signed up, in the toolbox on the left menu you will see 'Upload File' select this. From here you can upload your screen captures (one at a time :( ) to the Wiki.

And thats it! Unless you have more time to spare and actually insert the images in the Wiki pages as well... but thats a whole different ball game.

Well... if you have read this far I appreciate it... I look forward to seeing what folks will upload to wiki.amigaos.net

Best regards
Richard

Edited by djrikki on 2010/11/7 2:49:19
Go to top
Re: New website launched - wiki.amigaos.net
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
It certainly does look nice! Hopefully some useful descriptions can be added to those pictures.

Almost feels like the effort of taking those 95 screenshots was worth it

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@djrikki
This wikipage is an excellent idea, it looks very promising espicially with all those screenshots, damn good work... this might become a defacto standard page !

Anyway, the problem I have is, that I am not realy into all those topics, I just use them, but I think if I put a documentation online it will miss a lot. E.g.:

The Date and Time Preferences:
Before filling that one in, I/we have to check on this strange behaviour when dual booting in Linux, which makes my AOS clock go totally wrong, there is also an issue with "servertime", when switching to daylight saving,... I know there are threads around, and I might find the time to find a solution...

Concluding: beeing an expert on just a little topic takes time. I guess I probably donnot understand any prefs in detail...

Some more questions:

1) If I start e.g. a basic article on PageStream, does that help ? I will probably miss a lot of features I donnot know of, as I just use the ones I need.

2) Could I also write an article about my iBatch soft (third party soft section) www.geobiz.de/ibatch.html ?

greetings gerograph

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@gerograph
I think any articles, even short & incomplete ones, would be very much appreciated. The whole idea of a wiki is for people to collaborate, so your small contributions would hopefully be extended later.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

Very good initiative, but with much work, I hope that the Amiga users help you, I'm sorry because I have other projects and I can't to be in two to both.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@progress

http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/Customising_the_Workbench

Added instructions and descriptions for new users to AmigaOS.

The Internet and Network section:

http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/Internet_and_Network

Remains incomplete atm because I haven't got the foggiest idea whether there is another AmigaOS tool or utility to auto-configure your computer ready for internet access or whether you have to fill this crap out by hand.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki
Quote:
Added instructions and descriptions for new users to AmigaOS.

I don't think there's anything you can do about this, but it's rather confusing that clicking on a picture thumbnail takes you to something like this which isn't any use, where-as if you click on a hyperlinked name under it then it takes you somewhere useful like this.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

excellent idea ..i hope to add some stuff when I get a chance

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerograph

1) If I start e.g. a basic article on PageStream, does that help ? I will probably miss a lot of features I donnot know of, as I just use the ones I need.

2) Could I also write an article about my iBatch soft (third party soft section) www.geobiz.de/ibatch.html ?

Following ChrisH's comments. Any additional content is most welcome. The beauty of Wiki is that someone who knows more than you can easily come along and add their own knowledge to the article. Yes Pagestream really does need starting. :)

In regard to iBatch. I have protected the main page just so it doesn't get abused. Yes, you are welcome to add a content page about iBatch. I can easily add a link to it at a later time.

To a add new page just change the URL in the browser like below and it will prompt you to create a new page.

http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/<page_title>

@everyone

Please read the Community Portal on there for the style guidelines especially image requirements.

Edited by djrikki on 2010/11/8 14:59:45
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Internet Prefs...

It's not as daunting as it looks to set up, OS does most work for you if using DHCP, the windows let you play with the detail if you want to.

Will add something to wiki on this.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@djrikki

damn.. now i exchange always your site www.amigaos.net with mine.. www.amigasoft.net..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@afxgroup

Hmm not sure what that means, but it would be great if you could add a whole section on ODBC *coughs* with the window title bars active/blue and one day I'd like to see NewsCoaster featured on both sites.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
RSS Feed Added to AmigaOS.net

Keep up to date with AmigaOS.net and Wiki.AmigaOS.net by joining the RSS Feed.

http://www.amigaos.net

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm just bringing up this thread to say: THANK YOU!

For all those like me who only visit that official documentation wiki only every now and then:

I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of work that was (silently?) put into that wiki in the last weeks and months. Be it the developer section or the user section. Yes, it's not ready and there are still parts missing, but nevertheless I personally think it's already a marvellous and very comprehensive source of information. Thanks to all involved!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Good work :)

Go to top

Register To Post