Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: News from Acube/SAM460 at VCF ???
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

The resellers will probably pffer a complete 460 with sata amd pci-e gfx card when they start shipping. Like the 440.

Think i'll be getting me one while i wait for the x1000.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

Maybe you forgot, or did not know:

1) The SAM motherboards are not designed as an Amiga desktop computer. Their target is an embedded/kiosk type system.

2) AmigaOS is not necessarily the primary operating system. Depending on customer demand, it may be linux, unix, or AmigaOS.

If they did sell tens of thousands to Amiga users, they would probably modify the hardware options to fill our wish list.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@logicalheart

tens of thousands? cough.... :-/

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox / @Templario

I didn't mean that AmigaONE keyboard or any other pre-assembled or soon-to-be-done or can't-be-done stuff, but THIS:

http://www.sguidetti.net/wp-content/gallery/vcf2010/dscf1528.jpg

Look at that picture! That's what I'm looking for...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

A set of Acube keyboard customising stickers would do me nicely, wonder if they will be selling these or shipping with sam?

Go to top
Anonymous
@logicalheart

LH>1) The SAM motherboards are not designed as an LH>Amiga desktop computer. Their target is an LH>embedded/kiosk type system.

In end progress yes, but I remember also SAM was announced as "board designed specificaly to run OS4"

LH>2) AmigaOS is not necessarily the primary operating LH>system. Depending on customer demand, it may be LH>linux, unix, or AmigaOS.

Linux and AmigaOS are only desktop sys for it.
However, embedd designed is responsibile for SOCC choice, low power and no fan needed, but even UNix and Linux I suppose do not support some of the above mentioned unused parts of the board, or cannot improve e.g. the PCI flaw and is limiting to them, too.

In short: no excuse, but I hope better design next time

LH>If they did sell tens of thousands to Amiga users, they LH>would probably modify the hardware options to fill our LH>wish list.

True, true

Go to top
Anonymous
@cha05e90

Nice, but I believe no more old CBM A keys anymore,
as sticker or real keys.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Daniel

Quote:

A set of Acube keyboard customising stickers would do me nicely, wonder if they will be selling these or shipping with sam?

I bought a pair of these stickers at the VCF show. They cost two pounds.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daniel

Daniel wrote:
Quote:

3.3v PCI on 440flex is annoying, try finding a low-profile Radeon (other than bog standard 7000) to fit a low-profile case that's also 3.3v, I managed to find a low-profile 9250 in the end but had to ship in from Germany and was pricey, Also missing out on the 256MB cards (which all seem to be 5v) is a shame.

Errr.. where did you get this idea? You obviously don't know any Mediator owners. We have radeon 9200 drivers now, but as most Mediators are 5V only almost all radeons fail to work.

Why? The Radeon 9200 chip runs off of a 3.3v power supply, but is 5v tollerant. To work correctly in a 5v slot the card needs a 5v to 3.3v regulator, which most cards don't have.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:

Me also, but still is the list of complains:

- Strange PCI slots on 440 model which are limiting users (voltage thing). So its not even a full PCI compatibility

Strange? All modern PCI systems work at 3.3v. in fact PCI 2.3 and 3.0 are 3.3v ONLY, so the slot is fully PCI compliant, any PCI 2.2 card should work.

Having said that, I don't understand why the PCI slot doesn't support 5V. I have asked on forums once or twice but haven't had responses. You see, the 33Mhz slot(s) are on the downstream port of the pericom 8150B a chip which is 5V tollerant.

Quote:

- Integrated 2D chip only, 64MB only
- PCI-E or SATA choice.

There may be some confusion here, there are two possible configurations you can run the board in:

Option 1:

1 x PCI-e 4x (16 x slot)
1 x PCI 2.3
1 x PCI-e 1x

Option 2:

1 x PCI-e 4x (16 x slot)
1 x PCI 2.3
1 x SATA2 slot.

To get extra SATA ports you seem to have 3 choices:

1 PCI SATA card
2 PCI-e SATA card
3 SATA2 port splitter.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

I hope they'll sell them on their website or through local resellers in the future - me want's them...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)