Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

AndreasM, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Compact Flash on Sam440
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is anyone using a compact flash card as a hard drive on their Sam440? Is there a noticeable speed improvement over a normal hard drive?

Go to top
Re: Compact Flash on Sam440
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Astral

I'm using such a device with a cheap CF->SATA adapter.

It's slower than a real HD on my machine and are the two reasons (to me) :
- I can only use UDMA mode 2 or best pio)
- I cannot use SFS and only FFS. (I don't know why)

I'm pretty sure that a 'real' adapter should work better. (I think Vesalia sells good one).

Anyway, it serves me well alongside my SSD (which works like a real HD and supporte UDMA6, SFS, etc.) and my Sam is totally noiseless.

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Astral

I have one even if I'm not using it dayly. It was just to try.
It's this:
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/u ... r2t-cf-sata-enclosure.jpg

I have only one CF card of 2 GB.

It's faster than a HD but not that fast. With the CF I can boot in something like 17 seconds instead of 20.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Astral

Me too I'm using a CF, formatted SFS.
Had a bit of trouble because of the CF speed.
Now I'm fine with a TRANSCEND 300x UDMA.

I love working completely noiseless, it feels incredible after a whole day using a PeeCee!

Edited by virgola on 2010/2/20 8:38:37
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Is anyone using a SSD disc?
Is there a speed increase? I'm considering such a device. But it's quite expensive.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

I bought a Kingston SSDNow V series, the 2.5" 64GB model.

It's not the best one but it was afordable (around 120? with the 3.5" desktop kit)

It's faster of course, but if you have a fanless sam, well, there no noise at all. At the beginning, I found that very strange, now, I'm realy enjoying the silence. (I don't start any other computers anymore but my Amiga 600)

64Go seems quiet small for someone who have tons of mp3 and video files. But it's enough for me. (I've a external SATA drive for backup purpose, ISO files, etc. and a 4Go Compact Flash on a CF->SATA adapter for my download directory)

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Heh, the HD is the only noise from my Sam440, and even that is not audible unless the room is *very* quiet. (Due to the lack of a power led on my case, I often think my Sam is turned off when it is actually on, and so press the power button when I shouldn't!)

If I really wanted total quietness, then I think having some utility to turn-off the HD when inactive would be better than going for a tiny CF that can barely hold anything. There used to be such a utility(s) for OS3.x, but I guess they won't work on OS4.x/SATA.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Astral

I have a 30GB SSD on my Sam! It is speedy and silent! I'm switching to SSD all my computers, but i'm waiting costs goes down. My MacBook has already a 120GB SSD, was the first.

once you gone SSD, there is no come back

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

I have been trying to get the CF to boot, but after installation, I get an error that there is no SLB entry. Any tricks or suggestions? (sam440ep, amiga 4.1, 4.1update and 4.2 update tried). CF to SATA is plugged into where the hard drive was (sata20).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:

If I really wanted total quietness, then I think having some utility to turn-off the HD when inactive would be better than going for a tiny CF that can barely hold anything. There used to be such a utility(s) for OS3.x, but I guess they won't work on OS4.x/SATA.

I know you posted this a while back but since this thread is now here, and in case you don't know it yet, you can use "idetool" in the shell to spin down or put to sleep your HD.

eg.
idetool -p DEVICENAME UNIT POWERMODE (spin up 2, spin down 3, sleep forever 5)
idetool -p sii3114ide.device 0 3

I made a script in s:shell/ named it HDSleep, gave it an icon and put it on AmiDock.

But AFAIK, the spin down/spin up is not so "healthy" for hard drives.

hope this helps

Go to top

Register To Post