Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Population

See User information
Very busy right now so sorry for the not-so articulate post:

I wanted to ask SOMEONE... They keep going on about climate change and food shortages. Why isn't there ever a campaign for limiting the number of births globally? The reason this planet is in such a state is becuase their are too many people.... I heard on the news yesterday by 2050 there will be something like 2 billion more people, how can this be right?

I know there are a lot of people who will say "its our human rights to have as many children as we want" but I don't think it is. If we have an ultimate responsibility to protect the future generations, I think we should all be limiting the birthrate.

Humans are becoming a disease on the planet. The only thing that will stop us is a better, harder disease to wipe us ignorant, selfish creatures from the ecosystem.

Since 1950, we have almost tripled the population. We are simply multiplying too quickly and living longer and I think this should be the biggest debate on the street and the gravest issue given airtime by the media, and yet, as obvious as it is, I seldom hear the population growth needs to be curtailed.

When will we wake up? No one needs more than 1-2 children. I see programmes on TV of people having LOTS of children and ironically enough, sometimes they are the least equipped to care for them (unemployed, resident in developing country etc).

Go to top
Re: Population
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@A1200

There's only two solutions.

1. We solve the problem.

2. The problem solves itself. Ie. the population becomes so large that it's not sustainable any more, mass starvation, enormous suffering, massive decline in animal and plant species, global wars over land and resources and so on.

As it stands, most people think solution 1 is so horrible that they prefer to let our children deal with solution 2.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200

If you look at the nature,i think you will find the answer there. WHen anims reproduce too fast,there will be starvation and plagues whiping then nearly out. And then they have to start over again. Will probably happen to uss awell. It might have happened before too? Only china has taken this seriously,only one child rule.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Yes your right if we look back to Aztec Maya civilization, you see it has happened in the past,
and it is happening in Africa right now, and will happen in the future, all we need is some natural catastrophes on a global scale.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200

Quote:
Why isn't there ever a campaign for limiting the number of births globally?

He he how are we going to take care of the old

Edited by LiveForIt on 2009/11/27 19:37:46
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

> Why isn't there ever a campaign for limiting the
> number of births globally?

There is. I joined a while ago.

"Optimum Population Trust" http://www.optimumpopulation.org/

Bill.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

This problem will be fixed,can start to count people in the beginning of 2013. Haven't you seen the movie 2012??

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It's simple, just like orgin said....

People don't like science when it tells them what they don't want to hear.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
LiveForIt hit a KEY point.

One thing we do that most animals do not, is maintain life until it's nearly impossible.

Just think, with life extension technologies, and new ones that are sure to come, IF we could ONLY live 35% longer, say to 142 years old, what would THAT do to the planet??!?!?!

And the elderly spending LONGER not working and not contributing to production??!!!!!

Time for a MAJOR wake up call, on SO MANY LEVELS the common average person is NOT READY to deal with these dilemmas, and there's something else I'd rather not get into (look at my nickname for a major clue), that poses HUGE problems for this new era that we are on the cusp of.

It's time they grew up, woke up and smell the coffee.

P.S. As strange as this sounds, I think that Amiga could help (will be a part of) improve the future. That's a part of why I'm here.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
He he how are we going to take care of the old

Cigarettes, alcohol, fatty foods and all the other things our governments are trying to ban.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200

Quote:

A1200 wrote:
I know there are a lot of people who will say "its our human rights to have as many children as we want" but I don't think it is. If we have an ultimate responsibility to protect the future generations, I think we should all be limiting the birthrate.

If you look at dci fi movies we might see the solution to that problem. Take star trek and stargate,we need to start finding/making other planets a home for people. There have been talks about how to make mars a living planet. But this would take a lifetime to make i think.

Quote:

When will we wake up? No one needs more than 1-2 children. I see programmes on TV of people having LOTS of children and ironically enough, sometimes they are the least equipped to care for them (unemployed, resident in developing country etc).

I have one.
Let's say 2 children for each family would be enough!
China allready have a limit on how many children one can have. India will soon have more people than china.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Perhaps space exploration will be taken seriously (look at US or any other budget) only after the planet's habitability has been significantly reduced, making even a population of four or five billion very unlikely. For now it's all about expanding the marketplace which requires weapons and more slaves.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@A1200

It is not by reading the illiterate and innumerate mass medium that you will get coherent and valid responses to your Malthusian questions (for obvious reasons).

Since some of your questions have been responded to positively long ago (hence why the alarmists have shifted to other non-problems since then) may I suggest you to read the work of a prominent economist (because the 'problem' is essentially an economical one) who has exposed its still unchallenged views about the travesty that is the 'population problem'?

You can read the book online for free here.

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top

Register To Post