Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Classic Hardware still in demand

See User information
Take a look at this eBay listing.

At the time of writing, it has 4 days left to go and has already got to the price of a SAM440 and OS4.1! My guess is people will keep paying lots of money for classic PPC stuff, and who knows why when you can get nextgen for less - OS3.x fans perhaps?

Go to top
Re: Classic Hardware still in demand

See User information
@A1200

That said, it is a nice, kicka$$ system! I just wouldn't go that for for hardware that old. Still looking for a good condition 1000 though if anyone is having a clear out :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@A1200

I think the current price is not unreasonable for a 060 system in a good tower case.

If I did not already have one and a BlizzzardPPC 060 that I have swapped out of my tower until I track some other hardware issues down I would think about it myself, as long as the price stays under ?600.

It just comes down to what you want to do if you want to run old apps and 68K games then a classic Amiga can still be a better bet and the hardware hacking is all part of the fun just like owning a classic car.

But as you say if want to run PPC software you are better of with a modern OS4 system such as a sam440 and OS4, thats why I have both still.

If you wan to play old A500 games I would say your best bet is ether a A1200 with a HD an 030 CPU and memory card and WHDLoad, or a minimig. The minimig wont play AGA games but it plays most games as well as a real A500 without the problems that go with 15 year old or older floppy disks.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

They are mad.

Amazing how people complain about the costs of an Amiga One yet pay that much for a redundant system.

Its their money, not mine thankfully.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

that's why it is like the retro gaming market... try to look for an old console or game like the pioneer' s laser disc and you will see how much it cost ..

all the classic hw is almost out of bussiness, so it is "normal".. it wouldn' t be normal for a system like the sam (if it was sold as used).. About the price, people always complain about it and performance, so it think that's normal !!!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

People are crazy.

But hobbies are expensive

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200
Scarcity increases the value of something. How many good 060 systems are available to buy now?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@A1200

ahh alas this is always my debate with Amigans that say new Amiga systems cost too much...then these same people go pay ridiculous money for PPC cards for their classics ..nostalgia is a crazy thing

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

Register To Post