Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: USB Printer on OS4?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Most Epson inkjets use a printing language called ESC/P
(you can find the commands for ESC/P here, although the docs have not been updated since 1997):

http://www.epson.co.uk/support/manuals/manuals_pdf.htm

I even have a Print Magic Code tool on my web site with links to existing drivers and the source code:

http://www.pcguru.plus.com/download.html

I would consider updating the driver (although I do not have access to an OS 4 machine) for AmigaOS 3.x and make the source available. I depends on how many people require it...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@pjhutch

Quote:

pjhutch wrote:
@Hans

Most Epson inkjets use a printing language called ESC/P
(you can find the commands for ESC/P here, although the docs have not been updated since 1997):

http://www.epson.co.uk/support/manuals/manuals_pdf.htm

I even have a Print Magic Code tool on my web site with links to existing drivers and the source code:

http://www.pcguru.plus.com/download.html

I would consider updating the driver (although I do not have access to an OS 4 machine) for AmigaOS 3.x and make the source available. I depends on how many people require it...

I downloaded the documentation years ago, and I've found very well structured Linux driver code released by EPSON here. If you're going to do this, I'd recommend downloading that code (check the license though) as it looks very readable, and well designed. I think that it would cut down on development time a lot.

The reason why I'm not writing an up to date EPSON driver is because I'm too busy with MiniGL and an Amiga driver for RadeonHD cards. Added to that, I no longer have an EPSON printer.

I don't know how many people are using an EPSON printer, but there are a few people here, at least. They will thank you if you create a proper driver.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
For some days, I'm trying to set my HP Laserjet 1320 to work on the USB port of my Sam Flex with no success. The Printer Prefs program doesn't want me to select the usbprinter.device and return to printer.device.

Anyone can help ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Murakami

This is a typical error that happens if the usb-stack does not find your printer. Make sure that the printer is switched on and is found by the usb-stack.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Murakami

Many HP printers use the 1284.4 (Dot4) protocol, and oure USBPrinter driver do not support that, look in t:usb.log and see if there is an error about Dot4 in there.

RWO

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@rwo

Do you know if this is going to be added? I've been moaning about it for years, but wasn't bothered too much as my printer also has a Centronics port. With the SAM, however, I can no longer print anything.

I was going to have a go at hacking it into the ANAISS printer device but haven't got around to it yet.

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

I once borrows a HP printer and worked on dot4, but I dident mange to finish it in time before I had to return the printer.

RWO

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

Here is the USB log. I don't see any error in it ?!
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6412/usblog.jpg

And my printer seems to be recognized by the system :
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1373/usbk.jpg

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This was a very interesting discussion. I learned alot. Now I have my MicroA1 partially working with my USB Epson Stylus CX4800 printer.

By partially working, I mean I can initialize the printer, print to it ok from NotePad, print text files to it ok from Multiview, print text to it from Final Writer 97.

Final Writer 97:
Printing in Graphic (Draft) mode seems to work fine ... text only.
Printing in Graphic (Final) mode ... the printer spits out blank pages
Printing to Postscipt printer ... hangs. Suspect this is not an option.

AmiPDF ... Got absolutely nowhere with printing. More study required.

Thanks to all.

---
redfox

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@redfox

Exactly what I got too... I'm going to buy a HP 1100 or 1200 shortly, which is supported, apparently and also scanning images to the memory stick etc.. or something similair, have to revisit that

The last printer I brought was a HP 500C and it was second hand and $1100.00

I do not have any qualms whatsoever of spending up to $1000.00 even for a decent printer...

You have to come from a time when Amiga stuff cost you an arm and a leg, same reason I can own 2 SAMs and still look forward to getting another... as far as I'm concerned they are still dirt cheap

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Murakami

I don't know what 'Aucun' means for sure but I guess it mean no driver, but that is also okay as its only used when someone tryes to print.

Well it looks like it should find the printer when if you change the prefs setup to use usbprinter.device.

RWO

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

I would like choose the usbprinter.device but the Printer Prefs program don't want to...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rwo
`Aucun' is French for `none'

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@rwo

How about drivers for a USB-Parallel cable? I will buy you one (or lend you one for as long as necessary) if it makes my printer usable again.

I'm fairly sure the USB-Parallel adapters use Dot4 too.

Let me know.

Chris

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Murakami
Quote:

Murakami wrote:
For some days, I'm trying to set my HP Laserjet 1320 to work on the USB port of my Sam Flex with no success. The Printer Prefs program doesn't want me to select the usbprinter.device and return to printer.device.
Anyone can help ?

That's really strange because printer.device is not a "port" device. With printer.device set for the port device, printer.device (which is what is controlled by printer prefs) would be printing to itself. When I set up my SAM Flex I just copied the printer prefs from my ?A1. Maybe someone could send you a printer prefs file with usbprinter.device already set. I using an HP C6180 printer.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

if you can afford it, buy TurboPrint, you won't regret it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@rwo

How about drivers for a USB-Parallel cable? I will buy you one (or lend you one for as long as necessary) if it makes my printer usable again.

I'm fairly sure the USB-Parallel adapters use Dot4 too.

Let me know.

Chris

ANAIIS_print code is a hack to match a (7,1,1) interface.

USB-Parallel adaptaters like prolific, uses:
(7,1,1) interface with OUT pipe only (classic printers)
(7,1,2) interface with IN and OUT pipes (bidirectional printers)
(255,x,x) a special interface undocumented.

Dot4 and your printer uses
(7,1,3) interface with IN, OUT, INT pipes, so there is work and code to do to make this device working.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I remembered this thread while browsing for information about PCL3GUI...

IMHO, the printer.device API was and is quite good for band printing, as most inkjets do. It is not the API?s fault that we lack modern drivers, its the manufacturer?s documentation policy.

If we really consider some kind of new printing API, we should consider a PDL for application level and a print spooler using disk space, especially for band printing devices. PDL capable printing devices don?t need banding for obvious reasons but could utilize this disk based spooler, too

But even if we manage to make up such an API, we still have the problem of lack of documentation from printing device manufacturers.

Some folks suggested CUPS for "solving" this, but hey, CUPS is a monster and its drivers mostly don?t support special features of certain inkjet printers.

If we really want to have a new API for printing, make it up the Amiga way, it can?t be such hard to do.

Not another memory eater, please please please...

Regards

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@whose

I think that the printing system should be standardized to use Postscript for printing everywhere. That way postscript printers could use the data directly, and a rasterizer would help out printer drivers that have to rasterize it. Cairo (which comes with Amiga OS 4.1) has a postscript backend which new apps could use to generate postscript pages.

That won't solve the printer driver shortage, but it would get around the limitations of the existing system.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Curty wrote:
@Hans

How about my Epson 1020 LaserJet,
Would be nice to be able to print from this on OS4?

I have an HP 1018. The official site clearly states that there is no Apple support (specific MS drivers only in sw, no code on the printer).
Is there any chance to print from OS4 (copying some sort of code to prt: in order to initialize the printer, or something like that)?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »