Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 149

flash, miggymac, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Troica, Athena project
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ice2642
I t would be *a lot* cheaper & less complex to just build a mobo with a fast CPU on it, than to make the CPU connect using a daughter card, as someone tried to explain. And as the AmigaOne XE proved.

I think the reason fast A500/A1200 accelerator cards were so easy to do is that (1) the Amiga motherboards ran at a very slow speed, so track lengths & related signal problems were not an issue, and (2) accelerator cards were basically self-contained mini motherboards & the Amiga itself was little more than an "I/O expansion card" to them. These days the I/O has to run at much faster speeds (e.g. SATA), so doing it this way wouldn't make much sense.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/6/27 11:21:23
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mailman

Quote:
Are there any people out there who think that it was not a hoax?

I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to here.
Troika?
The "Athena" project specifically?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@number6

troica is not OAX I think.

Maybe the guy confuse we talking about the modular board paralell with the topic discussion with the troica project.

BR

Ice

Ice2642
www.gsv8.com
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@number6

Well, I can easily say I meant both. How many announcements did we see from Troika? How many different projects did they talk about? And how many of them really appeared (even in the prototype stage)? Maybe Troika NG really exists but I do not believe that we will ever see anything from them.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ice2642

This is a hoax, forget about it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@fryguy
I'm not sure it's a hoax, just think they are not capable of finishing the HW and pay for production run.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Troels
Someone filling shelves at supermarket is not likely to able to "finish the HW and pay for production run" either, but would that mean it'd still be OK for him to advertise he is working on an AmigaOS-compatible PPC mobo? Of course not, that would be on the level of a hoax (or mental illness), even if the guy really believed he could do it.

I am not claiming that Troika or ACK have the electronics expertise of someone filling shelves at a supermarket, but rather I am pointing out one extreme that is clearly nonsensical. What I am hoping you will then do is ask "What level of expertise & financial backing is required before advertising such a product is not on the level of a hoax?".

My answer would be "Someone who has a reasonable chance of doing what he plans/claims". And the fact that both Troika & ACK have seemingly tried & failed several times at this sort of thing leads me to believe that they never had a reasonable chance of success, and therefore they never had either the expertise or financial backing required to succeed, and therefore they were on the level of a hoax (even if they really believed they could do it).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Maybe hoax, maybe not.

I remember when apple start making comuters in one garage.

If they do, way other companies can not do too ?

BR

Ice2642
www.gsv8.com
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ice2642

Todays hardware is more complicated designs. Faster bus speed, processor speed requires more accurate designs if I understand it correctly.

Of course if Troika wanted to release a reference design and that is working well all they need is money for an OS4 port (if Hyperion would be interested!!) and a huge amount of money for components and production.

I agree with Chris that they are not likely to release anything. I'm not calling them a hoax or scam as I believe their intentions were good but that doesn't help when finances or skills are lacking.

Forget ALL about Troika and get your stuff from Acube, they deliver real products and deserve our support.
If I had the money I would get the new board, unfortunately I don't at the moment and I can't get any mouse working on my A1

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ice2642

Quote:

ice2642 wrote:
I remember when apple start making comuters in one garage. If they do, way other companies can not do too ?

Because times have changed. Apple started their business in a completely different computer market situation. Plus, they had an innovative product - something Troika has not.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)