Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

amigait, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Changing icons?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm in the middle of customising my Amiga with new icons etc. and am having great fun doing so, however for the life of me I cannot find where I would change the icon displayed when a USB memory stick or a DVD is put in, or change the icons for JPEGS or MP3's etc.

I thought DefIcons might be the application needed, but looking at it it isn't??

Finally is there a way to set the global opion to NOT hide MP3's and JPEGS by default? I keep having to go into Window - Show - All Files to see them, which is getting a tad annoying.

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: Changing icons?
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@tommo1975

Quote:
I'm in the middle of customising my Amiga with new icons etc. and am having great fun doing so, however for the life of me I cannot find where I would change the icon displayed when a USB memory stick or a DVD is put in, or change the icons for JPEGS or MP3's etc.

You have to change the default icons:

workbench:prefs/env-arc/sys/

For the USB memory stick I would suggest to change the disk icon of the stick (via Information from the icons menu) or change the def_disk icon in the def_icons directory but then all new disks/media will displayed with this icon.

Hope this will help!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mason

Brillant. I'd have *never* have thought to look in that directory!! Thanks

Out of interest, can anyone tell me what DefIcons does in the Prefs draw?? Seems to be about defining file types or something.

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tommo1975

Quote:
Out of interest, can anyone tell me what DefIcons does in the Prefs draw?? Seems to be about defining file types or something.

DefIcons is the system component that recognizes the types of files and assigns a default tool to those files that do not come with an icon.
File type identification is very powerful and flexible, but for a full explanation you will need to look into the documentation (which IIRC should be available on the AOS CD).

saimo

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tommo1975

You can also change icons using DefIcons. Just double-click the file type, let the icon window appear, drag the new icon over the image of the original icon (in the information window), and save.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mason
[quote=Mason]
You have to change the default icons:

workbench:prefs/env-arc/sys/

For the USB memory stick I would suggest to change the disk icon of the stick (via Information from the icons menu) or change the def_disk icon in the def_icons directory but then all new disks/media will displayed with this icon.
[/quote]

Isn't def_MOUNT.info used for any mounts made? I have def_CD0, def_CD1 etc in my drawer.
Creating a def_USB0.info would probably (hopefully) be the default icon for a unit in USB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jaokim

Quote:
jaokim wrote:
Isn't def_MOUNT.info used for any mounts made? I have def_CD0, def_CD1 etc in my drawer.

Technically, it's more like def_DEVICE.info. But yes, that's the idea.

Quote:
Creating a def_USB0.info would probably (hopefully) be the default icon for a unit in USB.

Depending on the USB device, it might be def_USB0C.info (if it has an MBR, more precisely). And of course you might need def_USB1.info and def_USB1C.info etc. as well.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@nbache

I have to say, that I didn't know this feature.
Sounds very nice!

Time to make some additional icons

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mason

Ah, so *that's* why we haven't seen lots of varieties of device icons yet

Yes, please do! I'll look forward to seeing some USB sticks and similar.

Of course, one problem with this is that e.g. USB0C: can equally well be an external HD, an external DVD writer, a "normal" USB stick, or an adapter for storage cards of varying formats. So even if we have a def_icon which fits one of these categories better (like the image of a memory stick), it won't necessarily fit when we plug in one of the other types.

But maybe you could elaborate on the USB symbol ... you know, those arrows ...

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@nbache

I have a USB stick image for all my def_USBxx icons. I then write a more appropriate icon directly to the disk itself.

Which reminds me...

@Mason

Do you have a MicroSD card icon kicking around anywhere, and if not can you add it to your to-do list please?

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@nbache

If you mean something like this... I will think about it

Resized Image

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@Mason

Do you have a MicroSD card icon kicking around anywhere, and if not can you add it to your to-do list please?

Yes!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@Mason

Nice stuff.

I know you can't answer (or maybe you don't even know) -- but I want to know WHEN the next update will be released?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mason

Quote:

Mason wrote:
@nbache

If you mean something like this... I will think about it

Very nice collection indeed!

Now, I may have misunderstood what the above was meant as an answer for, but if it was this:
Quote:
But maybe you could elaborate on the USB symbol ... you know, those arrows ...

- then, no, that was not what I meant. I was trying to suggest that you could make some sort of generic USB device icon using the official USB symbol, the one with the three arrows (or rather lines with different ending symbols) emerging from the common stem, as part of the design.

This one:
Resized Image

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mason

Cool! I'll look forward to the update, and hope it also fixes the "most of my USB flash drives don't work on my SAM" issue.

Go to top

Register To Post