Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »
Re: Doesn't Seem to be Any Programing Languages for AOS4 for the Average Person
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:

I have no idea what the inventer of C was thinking when all of the above was "a good idea".

Most of the above wasn't thought up by the inventor of C at all, they are Amiga OS API calls to do basic tasks such as opening and closing windows. These are OS functions, not standard C language calls. Your BASIC interpreter actually does everything that this C program does; it just hides it from you. The result is: it's easier to use, but very limited.

If you used C, you could also decide to use a library such as Allegro which does all the hard/pedantic stuff for you, and offers simple functions to do things.

Your continual comments that suggest that the inventors of C were crazy people created something cryptic and hard to use is really irritating to those who took the time to learn. To summarize:

BASIC:
- both a language and a runtime library with easy to use functions
- easy to get started with
- Rather limited, not good for larger projects

C:
- harder to get started with
- good for larger projects
- runtime library offers only the basics, you're expected to use the OS API (functions) directly and/or use libraries of functions (e.g., SDL, Allegro)

C++:
- a superset of C
- more to learn than C
- provides Object Orientated Programming
- good for even larger projects
- OOP really helps with things such as games where treating players and enemies and other items as objects simplifies the code

Quote:
I certainly don't want anyone who could UNDERSTAND what LiveForIt wrote to NOT learn C.

Anyone who can already understand what LiveForIt wrote DOES NOT need to learn C; they already know, which is why they understand it. Why are you still expecting to understand something before you learn? It makes no sense.

@all

Trying to explain structures and enums and other advanced features to someone who complains that functions with no parameters (inputs) have "()" only makes things worse. You don't need to know that to be able to write small programs. Leave that for later, when the programs get bigger.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
You see, if I ask "how do I change that pixel on the screen to blue?"

to set current color to 9

SetAPen(rp,9);

to set Plot a pixel on the window at x=159 and y=99

WritePixel(rp,159,99);

Basic code:
PLot 159,99,9

C code:

SetAPen(rp,9);
WritePixel(rp,159,99);

you need to read the autodocs about graphics library

sdk:Documentation/AutoDocs/graphics.doc

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Lua binary seems to be in the "src" dir.

Both Lua and Python can be used to write simple games, say, text adventures. Advanced features, such as graphics output or mouse input, need glue code to the operating system services. (There isn't currently, but there might be some day.)

AFAIK, Hollywood uses Lua as the basis and if you already have Hollywood, try it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
I have used over 50 (to be safe) AMOS Pro commands, including manipulating a 4 dimensional array with at least 126 elements in it.

guess you read the manual to know what all the 50 commands did.

Quote:

If then ...elseif , while... wend, For...Next, Inkey$, string manipulations (mid$,Left$,Right$), chr$,
procedures, Dim/globals, do...loop Exit, exit if, Repeat/until, and have written some fairly complex equations for decision making....

You need a beginners book about C.

Quote:
printing to/from disk files, 32 bit binary data storage/comparison,

read sdk:Documentation/autodocs/dos.doc

Quote:
drawing boxes/lines/points, opening all 8 screens,

read sdk:Documentation/autodocs/ntuition.doc
read sdk:Documentation/AutoDocs/graphics.doc

if you need 32bit / 16bit graphics read:

read sdk:Documentation/AutoDocs/Picasso96API.doc

Quote:
increasing stack space (had to),

read sdk:Documentation/autodocs/dos.doc

Quote:
gosub/return,

gorsub does not exist, goto exists in C,

Edited by LiveForIt on 2009/1/14 23:07:14
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well, Diskimage destroyed one of my partitions, luckily there was no data whatsoever on it.

It starts, then gurus.

The reason it destroyed my partition was because no matter what, it won't write onto my cdrw, so I selected a hard drive partition for it to write on.

system/FormatCDRW, and system/Format won't format a CDRW in CD0: Neither will format from the command line. The error message is always the same " 'format failure' 'no disk in drive' 'cancel' ".

Actually FormatCDRW comes up with the GUI and none of the options are highlighted and selectable.

My DVD-RW has the same result.

I'm using AOS4 pre-release 4.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Capehill wrote:

Both Lua and Python can be used to write simple games, say, text adventures. Advanced features, such as graphics output or mouse input, need glue code to the operating system services.

Hi Capehill,

Like I said, looks like Lua and Python aren't of any use really either.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I found AmiDVD on OS4Depot. Whether I run it from the command line or shell, it gurus.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Ya can't hijack your own thread

The matters you're speaking about now are hardware or installation related.

I am not going to ask any obvious questions

I must say though, it's been an interesting trek. I'm looking forward to conversing about common reference points in regards to programming.

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Well, Diskimage destroyed one of my partitions, luckily there was no data whatsoever on it.

It starts, then gurus.

The reason it destroyed my partition was because no matter what, it won't write onto my cdrw, so I selected a hard drive partition for it to write on.

Why did you do this?

Assuming that you have diskimage.device in DEVS:, ICD0 in DEVS:DOSDrivers and MountDiskImage in C:, just type:

mountdiskimage drive icd0: filename.iso

Or better yet, use DiskImageGUI.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

What's the matter with Amiblitz3? Is it not doing what you want?
I mean, if you are considering interpreted languages, then the executable code representation shouln't bother you. OS4 is designed to execute 68k code, and it does it much more efficient then executing e.g. Java code or an interpeted language.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
I found AmiDVD on OS4Depot. Whether I run it from the command line or shell, it gurus.
Try the latest version on Joerg's site.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Slayer wrote:

Ya can't hijack your own thread

The matters you're speaking about now are hardware or installation related.

Hi Slayer,

Weeelllll..., I guess that's correct, BUT, my goal initially was to get something I could program with, and preferably the code made is PPC >and< easy to use.

So, it's related??

Hi salass00,

I thought that the command could "write" them onto a CD, as there was that option. It was vague on how to use it. BTW, It recommends NOT using the GUI. Thanks very much for explaining how to use it.

Hi Wanderer,

Are you saying that there are no custom chip hits casuing gurus if I use AmiBlitz3 on AOS4? Also, I was hoping for custom PPC code. I mean it's 2009, code made for AOS4 should be native nowadays.

Thanks Swoop, I'll try it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Can't anyone relate to seeing all of the code LiveForIt wrote doing THE SAME as "Plot 159,99,9" as being strange, scary, and more than likely impossible to learn?

No. Because you don't learn it all in one go. You learn the basics and build up to it. Once you've learnt enough about C, and programming in general, you know what everything does and what it is there for.

The problem is not your intelligence, it is your attitude. You see anything that is not AMOS and immediately go "OMG! Its all unnecessary crap! I can't learn this!". You're never going to, but only because of that attitude.

Follow a C beginners guide, and don't move on from each step until you've understood the one you're on.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

I thought that the command could "write" them onto a CD, as there was that option.

That's because CMD_WRITE and NSCMD_TD_WRITE64 commands aren't supported for CD/DVD drives. If you want to do this you need to use a program that can burn CDs/DVDs like AmiDVD f.e.

Quote:

BTW, It recommends NOT using the GUI.

Nowhere does it recommend not to use DiskImageGUI. I might not explain how the GUI is used in as much detail as the commandline programs but that's only because IMO the GUI doesn't need as much explaining.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

> Are you saying that there are no custom chip hits casuing gurus if I use AmiBlitz3 on AOS4?
Of course not, unless you tell Amiblitz3 to do so (same like in C or Assembler). Ever had a look intro programs that were done in Amiblitz3? You can also program Amiga Shared Libraries or Devices, whatever. It's as free as C.

Does this look like custom chip gfx to you (and yes, it is moving)?

Resized Image

or this like a hw banging app?

Resized Image

Did you notice that the commands to play back an mp3 start with "AHI" and not "Paula" or something?

> Also, I was hoping for custom PPC code. I mean it's
> 2009, code made for AOS4 should be native nowadays.
While other platforms start to abstact from the CPU, like Java?
If you want to write a PPC code generator for Amiblitz3, you are very welcome! But it makes such a small difference, that choosing a language other than C or PPC ASM will slow you more down than the JIT that compiles 68k=>PPC on the fly.
At the moment you have the choices:

1. PPC Assembler (too much hazzle, not recommended)
2. C/C++ (obviously to compilcated for you)
2.5 => sorry, I forgot E
3. Amiblitz3 (*could* be easy enough for you, but 68K)
4. Hollywood (*could* be easy engouh for you, native, but not faster than Amiblitz and limited)
5. Maybe SDL Basic, dont know much about it.

The PPC nativity is not important if you use the operating system. As I said already above, all CPU heavy stuff is done PPC native : MP3 decoding, loading and blitting pictures.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

Wow - 8 pages and no mention of Rebol?
(nor CanDo... hehehe)

As for the original problem, I can somewhat relate to it - back in the days I could easily animate funny stuff with DPaint, add sound and present them with SCALA or whatever. These days I barely manage to draw a simple sqaure in most painting programs, since they've all evolved into monstrous ?berfeatured beasts that only people who've been "growing up" with them can use. Never mind animation, then there's either Flash (yikes!) or full semiprofessional 3D modelling - and very little in between. One of the reasons lots of people like Apple's machines is that they come with a set of simple to use programs (iLife etc.) that almost any idiot can use to be creative.

This thread is really not about programming, it's about lack of creativity programs, allthough I'm quite sure Hollywood is what Atheist wants.

-- kolla
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Weeelllll..., I guess that's correct, BUT, my goal initially was to get something I could program with, and preferably the code made is PPC >and< easy to use.

There's certainly a storm of information in this thread now, how about giving the thread some credit and informing us about possible decisions you've made or at least a perspective or conclusion you have adopted and/or a course of action you intend to follow?

A thought at least? Perhaps a positive one also?

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
Atheist wrote:

[...]

system/FormatCDRW, and system/Format won't format a CDRW in CD0: Neither will format from the command line. The error message is always the same " 'format failure' 'no disk in drive' 'cancel' ".

So you do have a CD writer? I thought that the reason you couldn't use your ISO distribution of Hollywood was that you didn't have a writer (couldn't imagine any other reason, TBH).

But anyway, why not just burn that ISO to a CD-R and install from that? That's the way it is intended to be used.

Quote:
[...]

I'm using AOS4 pre-release 4.

This is probably going to give you problems sooner or later. I'm not sure if Hollywood for OS 4 doesn't require at least the final version, but if at any point you want to use the SDK for anything (once it becomes available), it will most likely require at least 4.0 final plus July update, and probably be intended for 4.1.

Why haven't you upgraded at least to 4.0 Final plus July? That might be behind other problems of yours as well (diskimage.device crashing etc.) -- not saying it is, but it might be, and it's hard to help with such issues if you're running an outdated OS which the rest of us aren't.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

Start walking before you can run. This will make sense

Start with this turorial.

http://www.liquido2.com/tutorial/

Study them,test them,try to alter them to see and understand what happens.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

I may be confusing this tutorial with another one, since I tried them quite some time ago, but isn't this "outdated" for OS4?
I'm asking because I had the notion that some (window?) tags and way to access structs like IntuiBase used here were not OS4-compatible.

If I'm wrong, please disregard. ;)

Edited by BrandonLee on 2009/1/17 17:15:27
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »