@liveforit: exactly my point. And it makes no sense for anyone to try to act against this. Not even for misplaced pride. And lost income - just make it better.
TheMagicSN wrote:@liveforit: exactly my point. And it makes no sense for anyone to try to act against this. Not even for misplaced pride. And lost income - just make it better.
I am not against the new kernel, but in an ideal world Andrea would have spoken with Hyperion about this first.
I know that they searched for alternatives to the current Kernel-situation in the past. Maybe they would have found a way to make this core official.
Now we have two kernels in the work and the same situation in the background (tensions between Hyperion and the kernel team, therefore no official port to Mirari etc.).
@Anton You want to use os4 and have fun with, or you want to build ideal-world picture where everything fits in some idea without you using os4 at all as it now ?:)
I mean, take it for granted : Hyperion will not use this kernel, Costel and Tim already confirm that. And this will be independent, another 3d party kernel, one can play with if want. And that all. Is it change for you anything ? I mean, that change nothing in current situation of things. If you have no fun with os4 usage, then nothing will motivate you to go back.
There is no and never will be any ideal-everything-sorted-as-you-want-os4-situation, so to make you wish to jump on os4 vagon again. If you didn't now, you will not whatever else happens. Be it kernels, or whatever. Then it will be not cheap hardware. Then it will be no browser. Then it will be why it didn't have "X".
Everyone for last 10 or more years know the things. Those who want - do. Those who didn't - find and excuses of all sorts. See, there even some ppls there writing for many years that they have that or that, but none of them have os4 , and when what they want happens, they still didn't and keep asking for something else. It's just buddies-on-past-hobby-talks :)
Hyperion may not port it to anything anymore , be it Mirrari, or new Acube's board for various reasons we not known. But i simple will take any ISO, and will use it with new kernel on those boards. Not official ? Yes. Such a life. But i also can not use those boards if that a problem and keep continuing build ideal-world in my mind :)
So basically you say get used to the drama and avoid suggesting or doing things to better the situation?
Well than you are right: I will never come back as a full-blown AOS4-user and buy new hardware. And I know many others who think the same.
I own still a AOS4-licence by the way and had it installed under Q-Emu till weeks ago. And I think after +20 years as user, beta tester and writer of countless articles/interviews in various German printmagazines I am still allowed to have my opinion about AmigaOS4.
And maybe my definition of fun is not the same as yours. I still don´t understand why everyone has to do his own thing instead of at least trying to work together.
Instead of aiming unofficial ports of AOS4 (with no support from Hyperion and possible incompatibilities to the official AOS4) why not speak with Hyperion at the fist place? They are open for a solution to the current kernel-situation when you know what I mean. Now we have two kernels and no real solution for the current situation (new ports for example) and three instead of two parties do their own thing.
Regarding ports: I am not an OS-developer, but haven´t you also to port the remaining OS-components together with the kernel? Who will do this? Or will you recreate the whole OS from AROS-sources?
Then we will have three forks of AOS4 in the future: The official one, the Andrea/AROS-one and maybe System54+Amibench from Trevor and Co. And all three not necessarily full compatible. Still not my definition of "fun", sorry.
I mean, we have already MorphOS (and to a degree AROS) as alternative "camps", that´s more than enough for such a "market".
But maybe I am too pessimistic and all will end really well.
Mike has done well carving out the whole 68k pie so he has the whole piece of a small pie. In the meantime, the PowerPC fanboys fight over crumbs of an even smaller pie because they're all too selfish and toxic to share.
I still don´t understand why everyone has to do his own thing instead of at least trying to work together.
That everywhere in the world.
But, you say it like some of us dumbs enough, and do not know how it all looks like. Sure, you can try to work together, just write someone in charge, and try to work with stubborn ppls reaching 50+ years. And we will see how all should be done :) (no luck, that how).
But again, as i say, nothing drama there. No one force anyone to use anything. Especially, if you not os4 developer/user you need no worry at all, right ?
I for myself prefer all in one ISO, but that not like this anymore, with all those drivers, Enhancer, and other crap.
And, about your os4welt post about my "fantasies". There no fantasies. Once i will get Acube's board, i will use alternative kernel to play with a board, and hoping someday Hyperion / ExecSG / whatever else will give me full working ISO of OS4. Until that, i have no problems to use it with alternative kernel, instead of Linux. And there no needs to rewrite OS, or creating another fork, it's just dump open-source alternative kernel. Use or not use, and that all. OS4 continue to be the same as before for you: non cheap hardware, non modern OS and stubborn ppls :)
But again, why you care, if you don't care. You even don't need all that, why you worry about how it should be or should't be ?:)
kas1e wrote:@A_P But again, why you care, if you don't care. You even don't need all that, why you worry about how it should be or should't be ?:)
First of all: I didn´t mean you in person regarding "fantasies" of magical new ports because of the new kernel. But some users seem to think that this is automatically the way for new ports and improvements.
As long as its an unofficial approach and not coordinated with Hyperion it does nothing for the official development of AmigaOS.
Your main argument seems to be that my opinion is not valid because I am not a AOS4-user anymore. I am still in contact with AOS-users and - developers and believe me, I am not the only one who sees this situation at least with some Skepticism. And I hope I am still allowed to have my opinions about an OS I used and supported nearly 20 years. Furthermore I am still journalist/author and work for an Amiga magazine from time to time. So at least I am still an interested investigator of the Amiga-scene.
And again: I am not against the kernel. Everyone. is free to play around with it and of course Andrea has a right to develop what he want. But I can still have my opinion on it, wouldn't you agree?
And as I said, maybe I see it to pessimistic and it is just like you said: A developers toy to experiment and play around with AmigaOS4 and the ACube board. But in my eyes it's also a potential source for more drama and confusion. We will see how it turns out.
And sorry, I still don´t understand why it is so hard at least have a talk together. Maybe there would have been a chance to integrate the kernel in an official way and every user would have the chance to benefit from it not only some skilled developers, who want to play around with it.
Amigans.net is a place for everyone to share their opinion. So A__P and everyone else, thank you for doing so.
@A__P Quote:
And sorry, I still don´t understand why it is so hard at least have a talk together
Presenting at an event a project doesn't mean that talks will not happen. On the contrary. And because you refer to Hyperion a lot, I would like to remind you that Hyperion doesn't own the Kernel. And there might be reasons on why they cannot use it officially.
On the other hand, afxgroup presented his achievement on something that ExecSG worked on for more than 5 years. Like it or not, it is an achievement that helps the OS4 ecosystem a lot. Now, will something come out of it, the future will tell.
From my side I am tired of the gatekeepers in our community, either they are companies or individuals. It is known that companies do not like to cooperate and people care only for keeping their power in different things. If you look closely you will see that there is rotten situation in many places.
Having right now open-source solutions, in my view, it is the only option to move the power to the community and move forward. Of course, it is a matter of each user to choose what to use. If you have an X5000 AmigaOne you can choose between many different operating systems, and that works on the benefit of the user.
Continuing doing what was done the last 10-15-20 years, hoping for something to change, to me doesn't make sense. We tried that, and it doesn't seem to work. At least not for everyone. Some people might be happy getting bug fixes every 3 years. Personally, I need more. And I am glad that afxgroup moved forward with that project.
@everyone Please keep sharing your opinions, but keep it on a respectful and polite way.
My intention/hope as a user (only "power" users left at this point, right?) is to have this new open kernel and the official closed one on my computer and boot into one or the other, depending on my needs and their respective capabilities and shortcomings. I remain excited and energized about this new development, as well as other things happening in our sphere of late.
The path forward on many fronts has been either stalled or painfully slowed for a laughable number of years now. Enough of that already, please. We're all getting old in this time.
@walkero: You made some valid points. Of course there are pros and valid reason to try a community afford with the kernel. And yes the progress with the new kernel from the ExecSG-team is not very satisfying. Beside this: I am really impressed what Andrea did in such a short time.
But I think there are also reasons to be concerned, because there is potential to fragment AOS4-development even more.
And I know that Hyperion not own the kernel. But they are interested in finding a solution with the kernel-situation because there a tensions behind the scenes for a long time. A talk before presenting the kernel would have been the chance to do it in an "official" way and switch to a new kernel without breaking legal boundaries with Trevor. Maybe this chance is still valid but the only statement I have from Hyperions side is: We can´t use the kernel for legal reasons.
Anyway, I will not discuss this to dead, I just wanted to state my opinion. Let's see how this development will work out. I hope for the best.
Although I take a break from AOS4/AmigaNG at the moment (for many reasons and not in bitterness) I am at least an interested follower of future events around AOS4 with the possibility of a return as AOS4-user some day. As I said: For playing around I have still QEmu and a valid AOS4-licence.
No worries about your "status." You're interested, you're licensed and you're up and running with QEmu whenever you desire. Your opinions are as valid as anyone's. I've certainly had about as many annoyed and embittered years with this stuff as I have had enthusiastic and hopeful ones.
And having "about as many annoyed and embittered years with this stuff as I have had enthusiastic and hopeful ones" is exactly my experience with AOS4 the last 20 years.
The best part for me was always the community anyway and I really enjoyed big meetings like the Amiga37 and the Amiga40 in Germany.
There Is a big difference between my work and AEON one. My kernel will be open source. So one day if I don't want to work anymore on it, anyone can continue. And anyone can contribuite to it.
This is great news. Competition and choice is good and since this is open source, what is to stop the current exec developers from using portions code, or getting ideas, from afxgroup's work to modify and improve the existing exec?
In regards to the relationship between Hyperion and Trevor, remember that Hyperion is recently under new ownership. Since that time we have already seen agreements that settled long time disputes. I have no reason to expect this trend not to continue. I have met Trevor and had exchanges with current Hyperion folks. They seem to be reasonable people who want the best for AmigaOS4, so I don't really see any roadblocks for them working together within current agreements that may exist. Also, remember that current agreements can also be changed.
I welcome any developments that get OS4 moving forward again. With the Mesa developments, games being ported or revised to use Mesa, the new V-MPlayer, the Slovo word processor work, clib4 work, amongst all the other new yet to be released developments, (USB enhancemenrs, kernel work, new graphic card drivers), I would say things are moving forward faster now than they have in a while. I suspect, although I have no actual knowledge, that we will see a new official OS4 release in the not to distant future. I know for sure there is work going on in that regard and there just may be a surprise or two in there.
In the meantime. Let's all enjoy the new developments and we can pick and choose which developments we would like to adapt or not. That's always been the beauty of the Amiga World, both classic and NG.