Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Dual Video Card X5000 - both Amiga OS & MorphOS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I think I heard Trevor mention he runs 2 video cards in his AmigaOne X5000, one for Amiga OS 4 and one for MorphOS.

Does anyone know the models of the best video cards for the X5K that allow for this?

It's time for me to explore upgrading my Radeon HD 7750 to an RX series video card, maybe the 580? Or is the 550/560 a better option?

And from what I understand, MorphOS will not fully use such an RX card so we have to get a different video card for MOS.

Thanks

TJ

Go to top
Re: Dual Video Card X5000 - both Amiga OS & MorphOS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I like the RX560 4gig card for several reasons

it's short
it needs no extra power
it really compatible with 4.1 with Enhancer

I haven't figured out the morph card yet

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaSociety

The RX580 is the best card for the x5000.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sacc-dude

I forgot to ask you at Amiwest what brand and model yours is.

There seem to be many Radeon RX560 on Amazon.

TJ

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmigaSociety

I have msi Radeon RX560 with DDR5 memory

I also have tested msi Radeon RX580 with 8 gigs ddr5 it needed extra power and is long tight case fit
(i had issues with 3d)

I installed a msi Radeon RX550 with 2 gigs ddr5 in Bill's 5000

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have both RX580 (8GB) and R550 that I can use for my X5000 primary slot. Currently I'm on the 550. It seems plenty good enough and the 580 doesn't really gain me anything but just uses extra power.

The secondary card for MOS is a different matter entirely. I have two that are listed as compatible, an HD5450 and an R5 230. The 5450 doesn't work at all in the primary or the secondary slot. The R5 works in the primary slot but not in the x4 slot. I'm using a x4 -> x16 riser and have tried two types, neither makes any difference.

Sadly, there's no support on this. I posted to the MOS forum and there were a few responses initially but nothing of any use and then it filtered down the list of active topics and out of sight never to be seen again, so that's that. I'm not prepared to just keep throwing money at it until something works, but it would have been nice to replace the Powerbook laptop as that this is horrible to use.

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
PM Send!

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I went ahead and ordered the RX550 to get the ball rolling. Seems the most logical for the X5K to me. Only $75 from Amazon and should be quite nice. I have plenty of PSU and larger than stock case so could have went 580 but unless there are real benefits, that I could not see from anyone's posts, why bother.

I will deal with the 2nd GPU later after I get the RX550 installed and all working well.

Thanks

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MartinW

Ah too bad the Radeon HD5450 did not work for Linux or MorphOS or appears at all for you.

I happen to have a like new HD5450 that I sure would like to use versus another card but if it don't work, then it don't work. haha.

Guess I will start scoping out an ATI X1950 as that 2nd card.

Will deal with that after I get the RX550 I just ordered installed.

TJ

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmigaSociety

Reasons could be that the RX 580 has more gfx memory and is about 2.5 times faster. If you don't care for those numbers then the RX 550 is just fine.

Of course there are not much games yet where you would notice the difference except for DOOM3 or Quake 4 maybe.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@geennaam

Yeh for now I think the 550 shall do.

If there starts to become more games and such that really take advantage of the extra power, then an upgrade later seems in order.

Maybe by then the 580 will be super cheap.

haha

TJ

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigaSociety

So, don't take the fact that my 5450 didn't work as none of them will work. The 5450 is listed as supported generally (under MOS) so it just seems to be bad luck that mine doesn't (the card works fine generally - it's now in my workbench PC).

I have every confidence it would have worked under linux on the X5K, but I have no desire to run linux on the machine. I simply don't see the point. I have a Mac Mini right next to it on the desk and access to plenty of far more powerful linux machines if I need it. The X5K is purely for things I can't run elsewhere - OS4 and I had rather hoped MOS.

I actually think the limit may be coming from the amount of memory on the second GPU, or the x4 slot. Not sure which it is but whenever I see success stories it's often with 256MB cards. I don't know if that's exclusively the case though so don't read too much into it. Obviously without support, I'm guessing

[EDIT] Maybe I spoke too soon on the benefits or not of the RX580. I just installed Astromenace and that could definitely use more than the 550. If I get time maybe I'll put the 580 in later and see what difference it makes. It's still a tough call unless you already have one as they're not exactly cheap. I already had one from a previous machine.

Edited by MartinW on 2023/11/26 13:05:41

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MartinW

Well I may try the same thing. After plopping my order in for a 550, I did have 2nd thoughts and my huge Thermaltake View 71 was staring at me saying, "I have plenty of room for a bigger card and plenty of power as well, so splurge a little!" haha

I went ahead and ordered an MSI RX580. We shall see if I chose well or poorly. haha

TJ

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigaSociety

Well it certainly won't hurt. And if the case can take it...

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
RX590 for AOS41
Radeon X1950XTX for MOS on PCIE x1 slot. Not perfect but workable.

Go to top

Register To Post